The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1g shortblock with 2g head help?!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMAR

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 19, 2009
houston, Texas
I've been searching all over and I've got some answers but i'm still lost. Ok so i am using a 1g 7bolt Shortbl ock with 2g head. I just did the timing and was wondering. Why does my timing belt hangover the cam gears about 1/16?! Is that bad? Also any other info on the setup would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Joey

Rotate the engine over about a dozen times and check the belt placement again. If all is correct the belt will move into its proper place.

Did you buy a 6 bolt or 7 bolt tensioner pulley?

No the kit i bought had about 400 miles on it. The last belt didn't break its fine. What happened was, the engine popped a head gasket. So i had it all rebuilt. Its all 7bolt parts.

Also i turned the engine over a dozen times it stops and stays right there on the edge of the cams about a 1/16 over on the driver side motormount.

Did you have the head shaved? If so, who did the work? Have you checked the tensioner arm bushing yet? Those do not come in the kit. Also make sure your harmonic balancer is fully seated to the crank gear.

Make sure you have the 7 bolt tenstioner pulley installed, they set back a tad farther towards the block that the 1g/6 bolt ones.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back