The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

AEM x series wideband install

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbodhi

Proven Member
Oct 18, 2015
Olathe, Kansas
This thing has so many more wires than the Innovate mtx-l+ that I have. I'm not sure what wires to use. The innovate really only uses 3. If I'm wiring this thing up similarly I'm going to need power, ground, and signal. The signal wires are analog wires are white (analog +) and brown (analog -). I'm not sure which of these to use to feed the signal to my ECU. I'm going to guess the analog + because the signal wire according to ecmlink documentation should be the yellow wire for the mtx-l which is 0-5 volts. I'm just making sure my reasoning is sound hear because i'm kinda tired of dealing with oxygen sensors right now. Any input would be appreciated.

I’m not too positive about the x series, I will be getting this for my car soon, but historically with AEM, the logging wire is the white one, brown could be for AEM CAN NET for the aem infinity. There should be a diagram with the gauge

I’m not too positive about the x series, I will be getting this for my car soon, but historically with AEM, the logging wire is the white one, brown could be for AEM CAN NET for the aem infinity. There should be a diagram with the gauge
I kind of figured but I'm trying to be sure before hooking up this $200 sensor. I also included the documentation that came with it.

Attachments

• 15677280777135953408068458840664.jpg
    15677280777135953408068458840664.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 285
The white wire is the 5v output to wideband input. And the brown is to sensor ground pin #92.
Isn't the black wire the ground pin and do you mean the white wire goes to the ECU input?

Isn't the black wire the ground pin and do you mean the white wire goes to the ECU input?
There are 2 ground wires. The black wire is for the gauge/display unit. The brown wire is for the wideband O2 sensor. The white and the brown both go to the ECU. The white goes to the wideband input that you select, most likely to the front O2 or so. The brown goes to pin #92. #92 is ground for sensors.

There are 2 ground wires. The black wire is for the gauge/display unit. The brown wire is for the wideband O2 sensor. The white and the brown both go to the ECU. The white goes to the wideband input that you select, most likely to the front O2 or so. The brown goes to pin #92. #92 is ground for sensors.
Gotcha! Alternatively, would a strong chassis ground work or a grounding block with a cable running to the negative battery terminal?

If you are talking about the black wire, it should be fine to a chassis ground.
I would like to have a central grounding point for all of the items in that area. So I'm wondering if it would be possible to have a grounding block for the brown and the black wire. Instead of cutting the harness to my ecu for a ground.

I would like to have a central grounding point for all of the items in that area. So I'm wondering if it would be possible to have a grounding block for the brown and the black wire. Instead of cutting the harness to my ecu for a ground.
Generally you shouldn't mix if you want to have sensors worked accurately.

Generally you shouldn't mix if you want to have sensors worked accurately.
That makes sense...so do I cut and connct it instead of the stock wire or do I use one of those splice connectors almost like a t connection for a vacuum line.

Hate these. Installed a customer supplied one only to find out it has no narrowband simulation.

They also use the Bosch lsu4.9 sensor that gets killed by 3 gallons of race gas.
The alternative is the innovate that won't last 24 hours for some reason. I have Ecmlink v3 which can do narrow band simulation instead. And I'm not pushing my car anywhere near needing race gas....yet. I'm going to try it and see how it goes I guess.

Hate these. Installed a customer supplied one only to find out it has no narrowband simulation.

They also use the Bosch lsu4.9 sensor that gets killed by 3 gallons of race gas.
Yeah, AEMs don't have a 1v output. That's inconvenient sometimes. I have had good luck with PLX with race gas. They also use Bosch though.

Alright folks it looks like I got some work to do! I'm going to grab an inline fuse holder tomorrow and see about getting this bad boy installed! Thanks for the pointers!

I went from an Innovate to the AEM X series just for less clutter and its cheaper/comes with the gauge, seems to read faster than the older Bosch sensor that the Innovate uses.

I went from an Innovate to the AEM X series just for less clutter and its cheaper/comes with the gauge, seems to read faster than the older Bosch sensor that the Innovate uses.
The aem uses the lsu4.9 which is faster responding, but less robust than the 4.2 in older units.

The innovate has programmable output, which is really helpful for a lot of things.

solder your wire joins if you need extensions, dont use butt connector or wire taps. i prefer silver solder over cheaper lead-based alternatives

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back