The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

VR Speed Factory Or Punishment Racing 2G FMIC

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the ssac/vr speed factory kit has been out for a while with many people proving it works, the punishment racing is just starting to get around, give it sometime before people start posting results for those.

right now it based on price and whats been around longer and proven, its the ssac/vr. for 14b/16g owners the punishment seems a bit better as it comes with jpipe and lower ic pipe for it. it actually comes with both pipes for both types of turbo installs. also seems to be installed much easier.

the ssac/vr speed factory kit has been out for a while with many people proving it works, the punishment racing is just starting to get around, give it sometime before people start posting results for those.

right now it based on price and whats been around longer and proven, its the ssac/vr. for 14b/16g owners the punishment seems a bit better as it comes with jpipe and lower ic pipe for it. it actually comes with both pipes for both types of turbo installs. also seems to be installed much easier.

thanks

so since the punishment fmic has been put for awhile, which one is better?

IMO the ssauto/vrsf is a better unit. Larger core and short route piping.

Neither.

No offense to any of them, but those cores are garbage. They will experience serious heat stroke after a few passes or a bit of spirited driving and not cool the air well.

Pictures courtesy of turbobrian from NEDSM, the one who opened my eyes.

eBay/PR/VRSF/SSAC:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Garret Core:

It's no comparison, one offers what I would say is probably 2 to 4 times more surface for the air to touch and disipate it's heat on.

oh ok.. cool.. yeah i guess it doesnt matter for me then. its cause i have both of them and want to get rid of one but i dont know which one.. going to sell the vrs one.. ty

oh ok.. cool.. yeah i guess it doesnt matter for me then. its cause i have both of them and want to get rid of one but i dont know which one.. going to sell the vrs one.. ty

Bad move.. I made well into the 500hp range on the VR intercooler. These guys are bullshitting you when they say it's a bad core that will overheat.

between vrs and punishment intercooler which is better? dont include any other intercoolers, just these. :)

between vrs and punishment intercooler which is better? dont include any other intercoolers, just these. :)

VRSF bro. People make some serious numbers on these. Even though they are similar, more people prefer VRSF

I'd say they are both great choices really. As for the VRSF put down, that is inaccurate. People have made 600+ with that core. Burnett made 500 hp himself as stated already.

I think it really comes down to preference. The PR kit has been known for the "lets you keep your stock fog lights" feature. The VRSF does not, however is the shortest route. I say screw fogs anyway, so I vote VRSF. Id really like to shave my fog light holes anyway like KmanTsi over on talk.

So either keep the VRSF kit or sell it exclusively to me at a very low price:D.

Neither.

No offense to any of them, but those cores are garbage. They will experience serious heat stroke after a few passes or a bit of spirited driving and not cool the air well.

Pictures courtesy of turbobrian from NEDSM, the one who opened my eyes.

eBay/PR/VRSF/SSAC:

Garret Core:

It's no comparison, one offers what I would say is probably 2 to 4 times more surface for the air to touch and disipate it's heat on.
:rolleyes:
Have you run either kit? Or are you just spewing BS for the hell of it.

I run a punishment kit and it performs flawlessly. I've has a few track days where I had 15+ runs with minimal cool down time and my trap speeds NEVER varied due to heatsoak. Ive also driven 45+ miles to the race spots, raced (highway pulls) and drove home and the car never missed a beat.

I purchased a VRSF FMIC for my girlfriends 16G powered GS-T so we will see how it performs in the next few months.
Real world results > Theory.

:rolleyes:
Have you run either kit? Or are you just spewing BS for the hell of it.

I run a punishment kit and it performs flawlessly. I've has a few track days where I had 15+ runs with minimal cool down time and my trap speeds NEVER varied due to heatsoak. Ive also driven 45+ miles to the race spots, raced (highway pulls) and drove home and the car never missed a beat.

I purchased a VRSF FMIC for my girlfriends 16G powered GS-T so we will see how it performs in the next few months.
Real world results > Theory.

Not only have I run the PR kit, I can tell you, that you haven't even bothered to hook up an intake air temperature sensor and log your temperatures. I know this because you are the only one using theory. When you are ready to get serious the proof is in the pictures above.

Or, be my guest, call out Turbobrian from Dyno-Tech Tuning and his 20ish years of experience with these cars. Go ahead, I dare you. Or even better, call out Mr. Jewer who also weighed in on the post those pictures are from. I dare you too, both of them are far more experienced then you.

:ohdamn: :rolleyes:

IMO The VRSF and Punisment Kits appear to be about the Same quality based on Seeing the Punishment Cores, and Having Installed a VRSF kit before. Both are very very cost effective options for people running a stock replacement turbo.

Of course you will want to upgrade the core if you go past something like a 20g / 350-400 WHP.

Of course you will want to upgrade the core if you go past something like a 20g / 350-400 WHP.

Again, false, misinformed info.. A bunch of us have made over 500hp on the vrsf kit (or ssac kit) I myself have installed one for my 600+hp build. The vrsf/ssac core is no joke. Just because it is cheap doesn't mean it's junk. Everything in the ssac line is crap, except the 2g intercooler.

Again, false, misinformed info.. A bunch of us have made over 500hp on the vrsf kit (or ssac kit) I myself have installed one for my 600+hp build. The vrsf/ssac core is no joke. Just because it is cheap doesn't mean it's junk. Everything in the ssac line is crap, except the 2g intercooler.

Who cares how much HP you are making on it when on the third pass you are getting double digit intake temperature spikes.

oh ok.. well i really hope the punishment can hold up to 600 hp as well...

Who cares how much HP you are making on it when on the third pass you are getting double digit intake temperature spikes.

You truly are stupid. You have never used it nor logged with it so how in the hell do you know? I HAVE. GM IAT verified. Do you even know what a IAT is? Multiple 500hp track passes and this core is only hot maybe 5inches in.

You truly are stupid. You have never used it nor logged with it so how in the hell do you know? I HAVE. GM IAT verified. Do you even know what a IAT is? Multiple 500hp track passes and this core is only hot maybe 5inches in.

You know what, you are the reason newbs leave this site with bad information. So, since you are so sure I am stupid. Let me leave you with this guys information.

The internal fins that you see in the ebay/china cores don't do s**t. The ones in the Garrett core that look all smashed up are offset on purpose to promote turbulence and to present more surface area to the tumbling air. The difference is huge. I've run several different IC designs and have posted temp performance as logged with an AIT sensor for most of them (a search should turn it up). On average you're looking at a 50-100 degree rise on a drag run with a cheaper core, and up to 50 degrees even on a smaller Garrett core, while a 4-5" Garrett core will pick up 0 degrees through the first 3 gears and about 10-15 total on a full drag run. Due to the large size they can soak up more heat and are effectively 100% efficient for at least the first half of the run on a medium sized turbo. The bigger the turbo and higher the boost the sooner the temp rise starts but you get the idea.

The Garrett cores are worth the price premium, especially on pump gas. Race gas will make a less effective IC usable from a knock standpoint, but you'll still pay in other ways. The cheap cores can also have a much higher pressure drop than the good cores, but I only have other people's logged data to go on, not my own. But, 4-5 psi is not uncommon even with a fairly large crappy core on larger turbos. When you're trying to max out a turbo, that will set you back.

Some of the best things you can do for pump gas performance are good intercoolers, big turbine sides, and more displacement.

Here is his ride:

YouTube - RWD Talon, first two runs on Compound Turbos

I'm done with this thread and clowns like above who decide to rob themselves of power by using cheap crap where cheap crap doesn't belong. OP, if you want to maximize your build, get a real core and just use the PR piping kits.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back