The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

punishment racing fmic????

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have a punishment racing fmic. It works mint. Always Ice cold on the intake side no matter how hard you pound it.

I have to say Tim and the guys at Punishment Racing are great and their short route FMIC kit is great for the money, but i was pretty annoyed.

The china BOV didn't work right but that was no surprise.

The J- pipe was my biggest complaint. It didn't have a boost source so i had to drill and tap for my own fitting i bought from home depot. The welds at the pipe that meet the flange had to be ground down so that i could fit the hardware on, but it still didn't fit. I had to go to home depot yet again for some allen head style bolts that have a smaller profile width that bolted the flange on to the compressor housing.

The upper IC pipe after max adjustment and even cutting the lenth of the pipe and making a new bead positioned the fake greddy bov so i was hitting the hood. I then had to drill new holes to mount my 1g bov and still it sitting too high and the boost line hits the hood.

The lower intercooler pipe hits my o2 sensor coming out of my 2g o2 housing, this may be parts not working together.

There were some other minor issues that are expected and warned about on the web page, but these listed were un happy surprises.
BUT: For the money you get a thick wide core, stainless piping, t-bolt clamps, silicone couplers etc. The price is right, but some light tweaking and a couple holes drilled etc would make the install a lot more enjoyable. It's definitely not comparable to your custom tig welding work which we all droll over.

Some pics of Punishment Racing FMIC going on the '92 Laser AWD

Attachments

• FMIC & SMIC.jpg
    FMIC & SMIC.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,963
  • New J-pipe with boost fiting  .25 NPT.jpg
    New J-pipe with boost fiting .25 NPT.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 1,960
  • fmic no bumper.jpg
    fmic no bumper.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,959
  • fmic mounted no bumper.jpg
    fmic mounted no bumper.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1,949
  • FMIC bottome bracket.jpg
    FMIC bottome bracket.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 1,931
i love the 1g intercooler set. the bov works fine for me weirdly i like the sound its different and does not hit my hood. no problems with the j pipe. just had to sacrifice the bumper support, and do some bumper remodeling.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back