1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Punishment racing fmic for 2g

Posted by Dsmj89, Jan 3, 2009

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
  1. Dsmj89

Dsmj89 Proven Member

Joined Nov 11, 2008
    Miami, Florida
    I was looking to make a custom fmic kit on my own using a fmic core from ebay but in the end for a couple hundred bucks more saw i can just get a clean bolt-on kit. I was wondering what are your inputs on the punishment 2g budget fmic kit ? It looks nice, easy to install, and is affordable. I am planning on getting me a fmic kit by the time i get my tax return back. If any of you have this kit on your 2g, pics and feedback will be appreciated. Thanks.

2. AWDTSIer

AWDTSIer Proven Member

Joined Aug 14, 2008
    Clarion, Pennsylvania
    I would like some feedback and pics as well...

358  0

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    manual · Galant VR-4
  3. kahl23

kahl23 Proven Member

Joined May 10, 2004
    Wellesley, Massachusetts
    Well, as long as you only want eBay quality you'd be fine, but don't buy a Punishment FMIC and expect it to be better than the eBay kits because, well, it really is an eBay kit. Need proof?

Punishment:
    Talon/Eclipse 2g short route fmic kit

CXRacing:
    cxracing.com: Front Mount Intercooler Kit For 2G DSM Eclipse Talon 95-99.

eBay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-99-Eclipse-Talon-2G-DSM-Intercooler-kit-BOV-Bolt-on_W0QQitemZ330296574898QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item330296574898&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Umm, coincidence that the setups are exactly the same, and Punishment goes so far as to use the same picture as "just intercoolers"? I think not.

PS- For those of you who have access to the DSMLink Forums (or should I say ECMLink) heres a thread on it:
    ECMTuning User Support Forums

805  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    11.923 @ 122.060 · 2G DSM
  4. Dsmj89

Dsmj89 Proven Member

Joined Nov 11, 2008
    Miami, Florida
    Wow what a throw-off. I knew there was something funny to it's price. What's your opinion on just-intercoolers ? And if i were to get the kit i might as well get it from punishment as the price seems to be cheaper with them.

5. jm1080

jm1080 Proven Member

Joined Jun 13, 2006
    Boca, Florida

515  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  6. AWDTSIer

AWDTSIer Proven Member

Joined Aug 14, 2008
    Clarion, Pennsylvania
    Well thats pretty sh*tty...

358  0

manual · Galant VR-4
  7. hypnoticpimp

hypnoticpimp Proven Member

Joined Sep 14, 2005
    hawthorne, California
    After looking at both the ebay kit and "Punishments kit" it does seem to be the same kit. I think PR's is cheaper because by looking from thieir website they dont include the greddy knockoff bov and the ebay kit does include it...

328  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    automatic · 2G DSM
  8. AWDTSIer

AWDTSIer Proven Member

Joined Aug 14, 2008
    Clarion, Pennsylvania
    No, they include the knock off as well...

358  0

manual · Galant VR-4
  9. Dsmj89

Dsmj89 Proven Member

Joined Nov 11, 2008
    Miami, Florida
    Well i can always re-sell the knockoff bov for cheap as i already have the type-s. The hell with it i think i am just going to get it, can't argue much for the price.

10. Boostjunki84

Boostjunki84 Proven Member

Joined Oct 12, 2007
    Candler, North Carolina
    +1. It is included. I have this kit and am going to install it this week. It is a very nice kit and Tim has always responded to my questions and has had great customer service. I was even missing a part of the kit and before I had a chance to call to inquire, it was in my mailbox. I'll post pics and everything, starting tomorrow evening.

318  0

1996 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 2G DSM
  11. Dsmj89

Dsmj89 Proven Member

Joined Nov 11, 2008
    Miami, Florida
    Thanks for the input boostjunki ! Would love to see pics in this thread whenever you get them. It will be greatly appreciated. Take pics of every angle possible of the kit from tb to the turbo. Thanks again in advance.

12. AWDTSIer

AWDTSIer Proven Member

Joined Aug 14, 2008
    Clarion, Pennsylvania
    +1...I think i mite get this kit also..want some more info just to make sure.

358  0

manual · Galant VR-4
  13. RyAn007

RyAn007 Proven Member

Joined Sep 24, 2008
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    This sounds like a great kit due other than the low flowing intercooler, which is typical of ebay cores, but overall this is an insanely good price for a good reliable product, even with a 2-3 psi loss.

14. kahl23

kahl23 Proven Member

Joined May 10, 2004
    Wellesley, Massachusetts
    I never meant to imply it was any worse than the other eBay stuff out there, its probably better because if something goes wrong theres an actual shop there to call for tech support, BUT realize that it is a eBay item and not on the level with ETS, SBR, DVDT, etc.

805  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    11.923 @ 122.060 · 2G DSM
  15. Dsmj89

Dsmj89 Proven Member

Joined Nov 11, 2008
    Miami, Florida
    Thanks for the input and heads-up info kahl. I have no problem ordering this kit as initially i was going to get an ebay core anwyays and my car will be my DD, not all out race so it should be fine.

16. punishment

punishment Proven Member

Joined Dec 10, 2003
    upstate, New York
    Ok I am going to clear up some the BS that's getting posted on here. There is nothing "fishy" going on and nobody is avoiding any ones posts, believe it or not we have a business to run and parts to build and I dont have time to sit on the forums and respond to every single post thats made about our parts, our business or anything else. Usually I only know about the posts because one of our customers will let us know about it. We dont have salesman who sit on the forums all day pushing parts, we try to let our parts and customer service speak for itself.

Now if you were to do any research into the subject you would know that the 1g kits were developed along with cxracing as a budget kit because the only other options on the market at the time was $700+ this isnt anything top secret and has been discussed on this very forum numerous times

We have worked with them in developing the 2g budget kit as well, again this isnt anything top secret. We needed a partner to work with who had experience in putting together "budget" intercooler kits that could meet the quality and performance goals we were looking for and they did it. We spent almost a year fine tuning the design and now have a product that we feel will compete with any street fmic kit on the market. Outsourcing the building of intercooler kits certainly isn't anything new in the dsm world thats for sure.

Now as for using the same pictures on our website, I didnt realize this was going to be a huge deal and I will get the website updated as soon as we have a chance. This is a pretty common practice to save time, I mean we have 10+ other shops who sell our o2 housings and manifolds and 90% of them use the pictures off of our website, does that mean they are all up to some top secret stuff as well:p

And as far as any performance concerns with the kits we sell, we have had two customers of ours "upgrade" from our budget 1g fmic kit to a name "brand name" competitors kit hoping to make decent hp gain's. They each picked up less than 10hp, so until I see solid numbers proving otherwise I've heard about enough of the more $=more hp arguments when it comes to our budget kits.

Tim

17. Boostjunki84

Boostjunki84 Proven Member

Joined Oct 12, 2007
    Candler, North Carolina
    Thanks for taking the time to post here Tim. For all you who are worried, I personally took this kit out this evening and examined every piece. It has everything posted on the website and more. The BOV was not even listed.OMG

Tonight, I just finished removing my old FMIC and pipes; everything is ready for the PR FMIC kit. I am off on Tuesday and will be installing the kit.

Here's some pics of the kit, as promised. More to come as I install the kit.

The kit.
    PRFMIC001.jpg
    Up close pic of mounting bracket.
    PRFMIC002.jpg
    One of the IC pipes.
    PRFMIC003.jpg
    T-bolt clamps, couplers, and BOV.
    PRFMIC005.jpg
    BOV.
    PRFMIC006.jpg
    Couplers are 4-ply and are available in black or blue. I got them in black.
    PRFMIC007.jpg
    T-bolt clamps.
    PRFMIC008.jpg
    Aluminum brackets.
    PRFMIC009.jpg

I have more pics of the core. I will upload them tomorrow.

318  0

1996 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 2G DSM
    J Fresh likes this.
  18. Grimis

Grimis Proven Member

Joined Sep 5, 2003
    Jersey Shore, Pennsylvania
    nice i got the core from ebay/cxracing, it is a great FMIC, so thanks (did't know you guys had a hand in it) but now i need piping LOL. Let me know how that mounting bar works, might have to change how i have mine mounted, looks to drop it a bit lower then what i have mine, so Pic's is a must :thumb:

19. cotsi95

cotsi95 Proven Member

Joined Feb 5, 2006
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Make sure to take pics of you installing it and it installed. I think i just found my intercooler that im gonna get.:thumb:

20. Gamble97

Gamble97 Freelancer

Joined Jan 3, 2006
    small town, Illinois
    Sorry I don't buy it. WHy is the price from cxracing soo much more than yours? If you guys were partners you would sell at a very similar price IMO.
    Also, if you guys have time, why do some back to back testing with this fmic vs some other ones out there, like the SSAC.
    Personally, why would someone buy your budget 2g fmic kit when they can get a SSAC kit cheaper, and it's got a lot less piping.
    From someone who is very good at welding, I'm very surprised that you didn't fab up a UICP made out of 1 or 2 pipes. It's like your almost asking for a boost leak.
    Also, who makes the core itself?
    Have you guys tested this kit out on your 2g car to see if the coolant temps skyrocket?

21. Dsmj89

Dsmj89 Proven Member

Joined Nov 11, 2008
    Miami, Florida
    Thanks tim for the clear-up and info. I should be ordering my fmic from you guys asap after i get that tax return check in the mail.

22. Dsmj89

Dsmj89 Proven Member

Joined Nov 11, 2008
    Miami, Florida
    Nice pics boostjunki looks very good. Can't wait to see the install, take as many pics as you can from start to finish for all of us. :)

23. DoyoFCT

DoyoFCT Proven Member

Joined Mar 31, 2005
    Dayton, Ohio
    Why does this matter to you? seriously...

At the price of the kit, I doubt they have time to test it back to back with other kits. I'm sure between a few members you could compare dyno results and intake temp numbers.

I doubt they had that much to do with it overall. whatever worked and was easy/cheap/cost effective to make is what happened. At this price you could buy two kits, and modify them and you still would not spend the same amount of money for "another brand" kit that 9/10 doesn't even have aluminum piping.

eh probably some old lady sitting in a big factory making 10 cents an hour. ROFL

Eh, im sure if you stick to using a stock radiator and fan, you may see some increase but I would hope at this point you would spend a few bucks on a nice radiator/fan setup. I prefer to set the PR kits up using their radiator kit with the dual 12inchers setup as pushers in front of the radiator. This also gives extra clearance for larger turbos and the hot pipe.

I hope this answers your questions, as I felt most of them were obvious.

283  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    · 1G DSM
  24. Gamble97

Gamble97 Freelancer

Joined Jan 3, 2006
    small town, Illinois
    That doesn't answer sh**.
    You can't compare your intake and coolant temps compared to someone else car, being that everyone lives in a different climate, has different mods, different elevations etc etc. Hence why it needs to be done at a the same place on the same car.
    Whatever, if you guys want to piss your money away and have multiple boost leaks, knock yourself out.
    Also FYI when the ssac kit first came out it was all aluminum piping. However mine wasn't and I made my own piping upper and lower for less than $100 and that includes having someone weld them at $20 a weld. I have 1 pipe on the upper and 1 on the lower. That's it.

25. Dsmj89

Dsmj89 Proven Member

Joined Nov 11, 2008
    Miami, Florida
    Boost leaks happen and the parts to be at fault are to be blamed on the couplers and clamps used, not the piping. If they are coupled and clamped on real good there shouldn't be any problem. After all it's not like the customers will be running rocket-high boost levels, this is a budget kit for those looking to run moderate boost levels on DD cars with mild mods/bolt-ons.