The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Punishment racing fmic for 2g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've never had one issue, with any of the 1g PR kit's that i've used. I've modified them myself to maf-t setups, and i've installed them on about 5 cars. the t-bolt clamps work just fine, and the couplers are 4 ply, and I have not had an issue with one yet. (I assume the 2g kit is the same, but I have had no direct experience with it)

My only personal complaint is the 1g kit is suspended without a good mounting point and relies on the piping to keep it in position. I created my own bracket that bolts to a JM fab race bumper to fix this problem. I think the 2g kit, has a great design with the brackets included.

You can't compare your intake and coolant temps compared to someone else car, being that everyone lives in a different climate, has different mods, different elevations etc etc. Hence why it needs to be done at a the same place on the same car.

Duh, I just thought it would be a quick easy rough comparison. I never said it would be exact or your ideal comparison test. I highly doubt you will be pissing your money away. It looks quality, and the cores are the same cores floating around everywhere. they're definitely not greddy, Garret or Spearco but they get the job done. for a fraction of the cost.

and have multiple boost leaks, knock yourself out.

Man, how will you have multiple boost leaks? Unless you cant put a pipe on a coupler. and secure the clamps right. I don't see the problem. Go buy some new couplers, hell buy some overpriced t-bolts that probably came from the same place if that makes you feel better its still cheaper than most kits, and will perform. LOL

Still not sure why your hell bent on knocking this kit, i mean seriously have you ever owned a PR kit?

Expensive doesn't automatically mean better. How is an $800 FMIC kit actually worth twice as much? I have the SSAC style FMIC and love it. Even when it was hot outside, the passenger side half was cool when the inlet was too hot to hold. It was almost always cold by about 1/3 of the way across.

I know how to clamp things together, it's not a complicated process so no I don't have boost leaks. Get real.

+1 on the post above. If you can't install couplers correctly and tighten them down then something is seriously wrong..

Here's pics of the core. (Made by my Granny.ROFL)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Just in case you can't see it very well, in the last pic I measured the length on the intercooler; the core itself is 22" long and including the end-tanks is 29". All measurements are just as PR's site claims.

Sorry I don't buy it. WHy is the price from cxracing soo much more than yours? If you guys were partners you would sell at a very similar price IMO.
Also, if you guys have time, why do some back to back testing with this fmic vs some other ones out there, like the SSAC.
Personally, why would someone buy your budget 2g fmic kit when they can get a SSAC kit cheaper, and it's got a lot less piping.
From someone who is very good at welding, I'm very surprised that you didn't fab up a UICP made out of 1 or 2 pipes. It's like your almost asking for a boost leak.
Also, who makes the core itself?
Have you guys tested this kit out on your 2g car to see if the coolant temps skyrocket?

Please compare: EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts - Intercooler Kits
To this: (95-99) 2G DSM Eclipse/Talon Intercooler Kits
Oh look. I guess they're not partners. :rolleyes:
Partners is a very loose term. PR could very well have "partnered" up with CXRacing to create these kits and then buy them in bulk for a fraction of cost and resell them back for cheaper while CXRacing just takes what it created with PR and sells them as well for a different price. You wouldn't know the terms they had. It's not like CX stated that PR cannot sell them for lower. Nobody would know except for CXR and PR.

Also, for the amount of money you saved, you can dyno the damn car yourself.

And just cause an intercooler cost 1 grand, doesn't make it the best. Take a look at the Greddy 24R FMIC. It's a POS. And BR proved it I believe with their FMIC shootout. Another note, I seen improper welds blow open. Just cause it's welded does not make it boost leak proof. I'm sure Magnus' SMIM proved that very well. I hope you can judge welds carefully. If not, maybe yours will blow out sooner than these 4-ply couplers that come with the kit.

Another note, an FMIC install will always guarantee coolant temps to skyrocket. The best thing to do is modify the bumper. If you haven't paid any attention to threads lately, there was one on DSMLink.com with a guy that did everything but cut out that lower black piece on his bumper. He was fighting coolant temps until he cut it out. It was then they stabilized.

Really, I seen your thread in Link and even posted it. You seem to just like bashing crap that isn't on your car.

Nice man fmic looks god. Get that sucker on ! Cant wait to see those pics.

Please compare: EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts - Intercooler Kits
To this: (95-99) 2G DSM Eclipse/Talon Intercooler Kits
Oh look. I guess they're not partners. :rolleyes:
Partners is a very loose term. PR could very well have "partnered" up with CXRacing to create these kits and then buy them in bulk for a fraction of cost and resell them back for cheaper while CXRacing just takes what it created with PR and sells them as well for a different price. You wouldn't know the terms they had. It's not like CX stated that PR cannot sell them for lower. Nobody would know except for CXR and PR.

Also, for the amount of money you saved, you can dyno the damn car yourself.

And just cause an intercooler cost 1 grand, doesn't make it the best. Take a look at the Greddy 24R FMIC. It's a POS. And BR proved it I believe with their FMIC shootout. Another note, I seen improper welds blow open. Just cause it's welded does not make it boost leak proof. I'm sure Magnus' SMIM proved that very well. I hope you can judge welds carefully. If not, maybe yours will blow out sooner than these 4-ply couplers that come with the kit.

Another note, an FMIC install will always guarantee coolant temps to skyrocket. The best thing to do is modify the bumper. If you haven't paid any attention to threads lately, there was one on DSMLink.com with a guy that did everything but cut out that lower black piece on his bumper. He was fighting coolant temps until he cut it out. It was then they stabilized.

Really, I seen your thread in Link and even posted it. You seem to just like bashing crap that isn't on your car.

Do you know where I can look at their intercooler test results? I have a big greddy kit and I agree on it being crap. I am looking to upgrade to somthing that performs better and that has 3" piping. (and one that lets me keep my fog lights)

I had also purchased one of these fmic from punishment-racing.com

packaging was excellent!

i will be installing mine this weekend with a full write up and pictures!

only thing i noticed is i didn't get a BOV with mine. . .not a huge huge deal but would have liked it to come with it. . .

hey tim i'll pm you about that.

but other than that, the packaging was excellent, no damaged at all, and everything looks great! hopefully the install will go smoothly. . .i think best part is it comes with a J pipe and 2 of the pipes have holes for a boost source close to the turbo. which is also nice for me anyways.

I had also purchased one of these fmic from punishment-racing.com

packaging was excellent!

i will be installing mine this weekend with a full write up and pictures!

only thing i noticed is i didn't get a BOV with mine. . .not a huge huge deal but would have liked it to come with it. . .

hey tim i'll pm you about that.

but other than that, the packaging was excellent, no damaged at all, and everything looks great! hopefully the install will go smoothly. . .i think best part is it comes with a J pipe and 2 of the pipes have holes for a boost source close to the turbo. which is also nice for me anyways.

Nice post up the pics on this thread when you get them up, would love to see them. And its great to hear the pipes come with nipples for the boost source, i was worried about having to fab up a nipple and weld it on.

as an added bonus it comes with the Greddy Type-S knockoff? perhaps you can ask to order without it to save $30-50.

Also for those t-bolt clamps, it looks like the same ones included in the APEX'i knockoff.. OBX and other ebay sellers carry it. They are horrible, i ran them they bend easy. Owning both the one mentioned and the SSAC kit, the t-bolt clamps that come with the SSAC kit are much more superior.

Other than that, it doesn't look too bad. I'd opt for $30-50 discount to not include the Type-S knockoff, brings it a bit closer to competing with the SSAC kit.

Will be monitoring your results, thanks for posting.

Just so I am understanding this correctly. This kit comes with the bov? I see one that did, one that did not. The site does not list it, however it is in a photo. I also see someone who mentioned a j pipe. Does this kit bolt up to the t25/t28 style turbo or only 16g? Lastly can the crash bar be trimmed to fit?

Ok. Today didn't go as well as I hoped; nothing to do with the kit though. With my old setup the actual bumper had to be removed. Well we took off everything, even the brackets that the bumper bolt to. I needed them, but did not have them as I have had my FMIC for 3 years. So, I had to take a trip to the junkyard. Pulling parts off a car in the rain is not fun, but worth the $25 I paid for both brakets; the local dealership had them priced at $180 each!

Anyway, I was just going to slap them on and go but when I got ready to install them I decided to clean off the rust and throw some paint on them. I'm going to let them sit overnight and then I should be able to finish everything up tomorrow.

I got the upper IC pipes put on. I left the pipes loose so I can adjust them once everything is installed.

Just so I am understanding this correctly. This kit comes with the bov? I see one that did, one that did not. The site does not list it, however it is in a photo. I also see someone who mentioned a j pipe. Does this kit bolt up to the t25/t28 style turbo or only 16g? Lastly can the crash bar be trimmed to fit?

Talon/Eclipse 2g short route fmic kit
If you look toward the lower left hand corner of the picture in the link above, you will see one of the pipes with the nipple. This pipe is the one used for a downflow setup; I will be using this one. There is also the J-pipe and another connecting pipe for a 16g setup. Also of note is that there is another pipe and 2 couplers not pictured that come with the kit. As for the crash bar, you may be able to trim it, but trust me when you see it you will laugh; I think jello would give you more impact resistance.

Looks good man. As for the post above, it will only work with a tdo5 compressor housing turbo but you can also make it work with a t25. What i am going to do for the meantime is not install the j-pipe and re-use the stock lower intercooler hose and a smal piece of pipe to make my own connection from the turbo to the intercooler. It's possible to make it work with any turbo, its all about being creative.
BTW boostjunki, i see 2 holes drilled on the flange ? Did the flange come like that ?

Yes, it comes that way. The inside holes are for the BOV that comes with the kit and the outside holes are for a 1g BOV. I'm going to try out the supplied BOV and see how well it works. If I don't like it, i'll just throw on my DG-modded 1g BOV that i've been using.

Oh snap. The flange will work for 1g? I was hesitant to buy this kit at first because of the flange. Sweet I definitely have to try this kit out.

I got to see FenixTX717's kit, actually unwrapped it :p, and I was pretty impressed. 1/8" NPT fittings and bungs welded into the piping and each flange was thick. As stated, packaging was VERY good and from what I've seen customer service is top notch. IMO a good bang for the buck kit.

The core is nothing "special" but I'm sure it will get the job done. Slightly offset style external fins but straight through internal.

Although it's not a short route style, I still like the fact there aren't any 90* end tank inlets or outlets.

Isn't it considered short route? From what I've seen it doesn't look like it takes the stock SMIC route. It seems similar to ETS' way. Not their ultra short route though.

I also agree on the kit being of a short-route type as it doesn't follow the stock routing.

Isn't it considered short route? From what I've seen it doesn't look like it takes the stock SMIC route. It seems similar to ETS' way. Not their ultra short route though.

It is indeed a short route compared to the Greddy, Apexi or stock styles. Believe me, I had the Greddy, and it was a ton of pipes.

As for the kit itself, for a street kit, I'd run it if I'm trying to save a buck. If not, like my car now, I wouldn't run it at all. And I agree with what Gamble was getting at before. With so many pipes with couplers, it increases the chances of boost leaks. It's not if a person can assemble a damn clamp on a pipe, it's if those clamps will hold a constant pressure for 'X' amount of time. This is one of the reasons I went with my ETS Ultra short kit. In my kit there are seriously 3 short pipes and a TB elbow all with 4ply couplers and T-bolts all around. There aren't any filler pipes, it's all welded where it needs to be and couplers where they need to be for ease of installation as well as maintanence.

Another small gripe I have. If a company is releasing a new product, and this goes for ANY company making any product, there should be some sort of testing done by the maker of it. Yeah, all the distributors go out and test a lot of the stuff, but it shouldn't be up to them to do it. I believe in companies that are upfront with product information. If not, this just turns into a modification a ricer would use. "I don't know if it adds horsepower over my stock piece, but it sounds/looks SO COOL!"

Just wondering, is it possible to retain the bumper? Obviously the FMIC is in the way but perhaps some cutting?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back