The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

The Rebirth of my 90 GSX

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradcurtis15

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 8, 2010
West Coast, Washington
Okay so I'm going to resurrect my build journal, after the journal system changed I have had a chance to update mine so I'm just going to post a link to my old journal and start from where I left off.
DSM Forums - Once upin a time lived a 1g

So the first thing I did was ordered a non cruise control throttle cable from STM and got rid of my bulk cruise control box next to my battery.
So from here I went ahead and took out my bulky 3" intake that was unnecessary for my 14b and switched to a dejon tools 2.5" intake. I also replaced all my hoses with a high temp silicone hose kit. My transmission was also broke on me so I dropped it off at english racing and had them rebuild it for me.
IMAG0048.jpg

IMAG0069.jpg

So I went out and bought another car to get me by while I was doing my build. I found a 1992 Talon TSI for 1000$ from the original over 100% stock and the engine had a rebuild at 90,000 miles. I got a awesome deal.
IMAG0071.jpg

After I got my car going I was driving and I was running very lean. I did a boost leak test and I was leaking out of my injectors and I decided that they were probably very old and weak so I went ahead and replaced with some Fuel Injector Clinic 750CC Injectors.
IMAG0088.jpg

To Compensate for all my fuel I had English Racing install my DSMLINK V3 And set me up with speed density and tune the car on there Dynojet. They felt it was safe to run my 14b at 20.6 PSI and tune me to 267WHP 274lb tq.
IMAG0105.jpg

IMAG0107.jpg

4 days after driving the car like I stole it (last week) I was in 3rd gear wide open throttle and The car died on me.. I had to flat bed it hope and it is sitting right where it has been since I started :-(. I checked it for fuel and I have fuel in the fuel rail and the pump is working properly. I went a did a compression test, My numbers were 175-175-173-170. the compression is good so the car should still start.. I am going to check for spark tomorrow. I also just ordered a built cylinder head which has 5 angle grinds supertech valves and valve springs. I'm going to put some 272 cams in it and slap this head on along with a FP manifold and I am still contemplating on which turbo I want to throw on her.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I checked my car and I'm not getting any spark. I'm going to do a test on my CAS and my transistor and see what the problem is. As far as my timing belt wear, I decided I'm going to just run my car lightly and not get on it too hard until I replace it and swap my head. my goal is around 400+.

Last edited:
I've been busy with work lately so I haven't been able to do much. So next thing I will do is put some 3g lifters and some bc 272's in this head that I picked up that has the supertech valves and springs. Ill swap that in with a fresh headgasket I also plan on changing out all my timing components such as belt pullys tensor as well as the balance shaft. At the same time I'm going to be sticking in a FP exhaust manifold and a tubular o2 housing and most liking going to go with the FP Green Turbo. This is going to be a big step up.

IMAG0216.jpg
Installed My Fuel Lab Filter and Feed Line. Next week I'll be putting my My Fuel Pressure Regulator. I think that my waste gate is bad so I think its time for a big turbo upgrade.

Last edited:
Just ordered myself a FP Manfiold and a Megan Racing o2 housing. I haven't yet decided which turbo to buy. So this weekend Ill install the Fuel pressure regulator and then next weekend hopefully turbo setup.

Little update, just waiting on STM AND PUNISHMENT RACING for my parts I will be removing my egr valve and all my useless vacume lines and I will be putting in a new aluminum radiator. I also ordered a manifold blanket to help reduce heat. I'll post pictures when ups finds its way to my house.

IMAG0283.jpg
IMAG0284.jpg
I Removed all my vacume lines and installed my EGR Block off Plate. I installed my CX Racing radiator along with a new thermostat and I put on my manifold blanket. I let the car idle for about 30 minutes and the car wouldn't exceed 203*F and when the fan kicks on at 200*F the car will drop down to 196*F.:thumb:

I really want to get a new turbo. I just don't know which one to choose yet. :confused:

Last edited:
So I was wrong about my car running cooler. I was driving yesterday and it was about 85*F out side. I was looking at my stock temp gauge and the heat indicator pointed at the P. Now I'm just confused I have no idea why my car is getting so hot.

I just did a compression test and everything seems fine, I just looked at the box of my termostat and it says its the 180*F model. I am going run down and pick up a 160*F and see what that does for me.

IMAG0297.jpg
IMAG0299.jpg
i swapped in my stock passenger side radiator fan in and used one slim fan on the drivers side of the radiator. My temps are ranging from 170-190*F Definitely a lot cooler. i also swapped in new rear rotors and pads.

Last edited:
IMAG0194.jpg
IMAG0200.jpg
1074842_543781929004317_480143575_o.jpg
1072429_543782045670972_1897644329_o.jpg
So i Found a set of evo 8 rims with good tires on craigslist. The seller wanted 400$ and he agreed to my offer of 350$. :hellyeah:
I also dropped my Car off down at WestCoast DSMS to get a gates timing belt and my timing components replaced. I also had them remove the Balance shaft as well.
I am going to start going to Portland International Raceway and see what i can do. I will be changing my exhaust out, getting a 68hta turbo ported and weld the flapper. I will be running a external wastegate from the o2 housing. More pictures and hopefully some videos to come.

Last edited:
So I decided I wanted to relocate the battery to the trunk and upgrade to a red top optima. I installed a breaker swich inside the car and I am going to order one to put on the outside of the car. I also just ordered a punishment racing o2 housing with a 38mm mvs extenal wastegate. just bought a full 3" exhaust that is better flowing then my current exhaust and I am going to use a new ebay 16g for the dsm shoot out here in portland oregon. I plan on getting a nice turbo but this will get me by for a while.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back