The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

• Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;) It will also allow you to view images in threads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

the rebirth of the 98 awd spyder after 10 years of storage

Year
Model/Trim

tkrPerformance

Proven Member
Dec 2, 2002
plymouth, Minnesota
Got the spyder Tuned today at Db. Made 338 awhp on the dyno dynamics. We were going for more when the oem oil pressure sending unit blew out of the ofh it dumped all the oil onto the dyno. Got it fixed and walked over to napa to get oil refilled the car. It fired right back up no rod knock but was down 100 hp. Something got tight in the engine. So now it will have to come back apart and fixed. But it does still run right now.

tkrPerformance

Proven Member
Dec 2, 2002
plymouth, Minnesota
Back to the way it has been for 11 years :(
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Engine looks like it will be a total loss.

Don't know if this happed when we lost all the oil or it was like it for a while. The engine has been in 4 of my cars and has been running for 8 years.

tkrPerformance

Proven Member
Dec 2, 2002
plymouth, Minnesota
New ppi amp 5ch picked it up for 50.00 off of mnsc

Put all the speakers back in the car all Boston pro's also rewired the stock dash speakers to run them off the deck.

Rear 4.5 Boston pro w/ 1.5 in tweets
Front 6.5 Boston pro.

Picked up the new bottom end yesterday from Steve. It is the same set up I had in the car. 2g pistons on 1g rods. Just need to get a oil pump and put it together.

Also got the new 10an oil cooler put on with new brackets. It is a lot bigger than the 8am cooler that was on the car.

Also droped the head off this mooring at the machine shop to have it cleaned and inspected to make sure it will be fine to use other wise I will have to use a head off the shelf in the basement. It will be done Monday or Tuesday.

Last edited by a moderator:

tkrPerformance

Proven Member
Dec 2, 2002
plymouth, Minnesota
Redid the sub box today. It is now just under a cube for the Boston pro 10 that will go into it.
The new frame work for the smaller box out of the old box that had a ppi flat 15

The new top panels just have to carpet them now

Also cut the the 12an fitting off the new oem oil pan I got from Steve with the bottom end. Put a 10an fitting on it now for the 16g.

tkrPerformance

Proven Member
Dec 2, 2002
plymouth, Minnesota
Sub box is done. Just want to carpet the left side of the box that is going to be storage.

Top covers are carpeted as well

Started to put the bottom end together tonight also. Gosh will have the head all done on Friday. So next week end it should be back on the road
Putting the engine together on the bench since the engine stand has the sbc 383 on it right now.

The new bottom end

Also ordered a 10an fitting for the Evo 3 16g should be here soon.

tkrPerformance

Proven Member
Dec 2, 2002
plymouth, Minnesota
Aly picked up the head from gosh yesterday. No I just have to put my free set of Evo 9 springs and retainers in it.

supraguy17

Proven Member
Mar 21, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Where did you get the bumper brackets and clips?? I've been looking for something like those forever now, my bumper sags horribly!!

tkrPerformance

Proven Member
Dec 2, 2002
plymouth, Minnesota
Where did you get the bumper brackets and clips?? I've been looking for something like those forever now, my bumper sags horribly!!

I made the brackets for the sides. The clips are from northwest airlines. I have no idea if you can buy them or not since they are for aircraft.

tkrPerformance

Proven Member
Dec 2, 2002
plymouth, Minnesota
Well the Spyder is down for the 2nd since it has been running. Made it to hwy 7 on 169 on the way to work today. Shitty thing is I sold my spare EPROM to put it back together after the motor died the 1st time.

On another note. I have a turbo on the way. Got a 50trim for a great price.

Got it fixed it was burnt all the way to the pin. Found out the o2 sensor was shorted out and burnt the trace off the board. Fixed the o2 sensor also. Now the car pulls all the way though 30psi.

PieEyedPiper

DSM Wiseman
Nov 13, 2004
North Bay Area, California
Nice work on the ECU. I was yet to scroll down all the way when I was reading about the burned up pad and I was leering in on it exclaiming "you can fix that, easy!"

Glad you got it sorted out, I admire how you keep moving forward no matter the hiccups along the way.

PieEyedPiper

DSM Wiseman
Nov 13, 2004
North Bay Area, California
Nice work on the ECU. I was yet to scroll down all the way when I was reading about the burned up pad and I was leering in on it exclaiming "you can fix that, easy!"

Glad you got it sorted out, I admire how you keep moving forward no matter the hiccups along the way.

tkrPerformance

Proven Member
Dec 2, 2002
plymouth, Minnesota
picked up a pte5031e for dirt cheap that is in great shape. the hot side was decked flat both flanges and the cold side was powder coated almost chrome. Will be taking on the evo 3 turbo on my weekend and putting the new turbo on. The only thing it was missing was the hot side clamps. It just had the bolts holding it. lucky i still had by bad gt40 and took them off that and reused them.

tkrPerformance

Proven Member
Dec 2, 2002
plymouth, Minnesota
Have not updated it in a while. So there are a few updates. I lifted the head 2 weeks ago. Got new studs,head gasket and dropped the head back at the machine shop.
got the new turbo put on. Also found out the e3 16g is just fine and was not the smoking problem. So it will be up for sale now.
10-28-12

11-01-12
lifted the head ho the way to work yesterday. ended up dumping oil in to 2&3 and out the front of the block from one of the head drain holes.
so
head has to go back to gosh to be cleaned and checked a 2nd time
new head studs
new head gasket
find a timming cover (it broke taking it out)

also time for a new valve cover

was going to send one off to have it powder coated hot pink them hydro dipped with hello kitty but that is now on the back burner

11-06-12
Picked up the head from gosh tues night. It is back on the car now.

11-10-12
Also today for a long 16hrs of doing nothing at work.
Sand blasted,and hot tanked the intake manifold

Painted it flat hi-temp black

Also used on of the stock bolt holes were the hard vac line bolted to now it is a vac port for the 4 bar map sensor

Today
All back together

tkrPerformance

Proven Member
Dec 2, 2002
plymouth, Minnesota
It has been running good now with the head done the 2nd time,new gasket and studs.

It is also its very first winter :( going to have to swap the winter tires on this weekend they are saying around 6in of snow.

(on thanksgiving at work. was 55 out then droped to mid 20's in a few hours and iced)

2nd Gen Mnstr

Proven Member
Feb 7, 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
my car is actually having the same problem it is coming into the exhaust manifold... did you find out what it was??? i did a compression test and they were all 100 except for one. which was 30. i guessed that it was piston rings but i would like to know how you solved your problem.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com Raven Fabrication RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned VR Speed Factory

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds