The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

The quest for the AWD 14b record title WITHOUT nitrous continues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So you are going for the record with a heavily modified 14b? That's like playing baseball with an aluminum bat. The most impressive 14b awd time is still Daves 'pnuemo' he did it with a full street car that he drive 100 miles to the track and then drove it back home in a legit street car. Now THAT is impressive. Hell you gut the car enough I'm sure some one could do even lower 10s

Good to hear then. I guess I'll admit you kind of sounded a bit disrespectful to these guys who have come before and worked hard at setting these "records" to say you're just going to go out and break them the first year you show up. I'm sure you've been around a long time and have experience, but the big names in the 14b game have been known for quite some time I think we all understand it a little bit better now and where you're coming from :D Good luck to ya!

Im certain youre mis interpreting my tone entirely. Im in no means being disrespectful. I could care one way or the other, its just fun to me and if i can get some good numbers that we project then it will just add to the competetiveness.

So you are going for the record with a heavily modified 14b? That's like playing baseball with an aluminum bat. The most impressive 14b awd time is still Daves 'pnuemo' he did it with a full street car that he drive 100 miles to the track and then drove it back home in a legit street car. Now THAT is impressive. Hell you gut the car enough I'm sure some one could do even lower 10s

I will re state.. "Thanks man. And again, im not balls deep in this. Its just fun to make a shit box with cheaply acquired parts haul ass...and might as well try and make some noise with it at the same time!"

thats all. just a little fun.

Of course its all for fun until you state you are going for a record LOL.

Gotta agree. Not to sound negative or anything, but your story does kinda conflict.

Also, you sound a little like a Honda bench racer; "I made this set-up, so I'm in the 10's" when you haven't even gotten a number yet.

Maybe you wanted to say "Its just fun to make a shit box with cheaply acquired parts haul ass" but you didn't. You titled the thread "The quest for the AWD 14b record title WITHOUT nitrous continues". Geez, not to nit pick, but you used the word "continues" and "quest" like you have been doing this for years. Then you try to drop names like that makes your ability to drive better :hmm:

Hmm, I guess the further I go along the more negative I sound so I better stop now.

I really do wish you luck on your "quest". I love to see people having fun at the track...........

MB

Gotta agree. Not to sound negative or anything, but your story does kinda conflict.

Also, you sound a little like a Honda bench racer; "I made this set-up, so I'm in the 10's" when you haven't even gotten a number yet.

Maybe you wanted to say "Its just fun to make a shit box with cheaply acquired parts haul ass" but you didn't. You titled the thread "The quest for the AWD 14b record title WITHOUT nitrous continues". Geez, not to nit pick, but you used the word "continues" and "quest" like you have been doing this for years. Then you try to drop names like that makes your ability to drive better :hmm:

Hmm, I guess the further I go along the more negative I sound so I better stop now.

I really do wish you luck on your "quest". I love to see people having fun at the track...........

MB

Geez i wish people werent so literal. by "quest" i mean all the bullshit that weve gone through thus far trying to get this to the track. And im confident in the fact that we will have this car in and around these mid 11 second times based on the shear facts and previous cars ive dealt with.

Im not gonna sweat anyone that wants to "nit pick" my words. I just figured id show you guys what all i did other than "sell parts", figured id be a good way to relate better, i suppose by that i meant get flamed for choosing my words not to your liking.

Either way, i think ill stop now too. Thanks for all the support for those that have. We can "nit pick" all day but it will be a few months before this thing gets track time anyways, so hold onto your panties! ill be updating this with any new info i get! First will be some dyno numbers very soon!

Might as well go for it at the same time! Just adds to the "fun" of the whole thing!

Thanks man. And again, im not balls deep in this. Its just fun to make a shit box with cheaply acquired parts haul ass...and might as well try and make some noise with it at the same time!

No sweat. I do hope to see another 14b powered machine in the 11's, there are a few potentials out there and now you too. If you do take it a bit more seriously, you may well surprise yourself.:thumb:

I'm just saying, without compitition it doesn't look like either one of you two (Nate & Phil) have worked on bettering your own "records".

Without a doubt, competition creates motivation. Again, Nate's 14b car has been gone for years......he also ran 11.9@111 WITHOUT NOS. He has a Galant now that he runs, so he does show up to talk with us from time to time, but is doing other things now.

My main goal this year was to FINALLY hit 11's, that was THE only goal at the beginning of the year. On my first pass in almost 2 years I ran 11.81@116 with a best of 11.75. So, this contradicts what you are saying about bettering my own record without competition. After this, I just ran down the list and set goals relative to that:

GOAL MET! Time to set a new one: Surpass the next guy in line at 11.64 - Leon R.

Second outing 11.59 GOAL MET!

Time to set new goal: next guy in line Dave W. at 11.51, and with his help, by a tiny bit, GOAL MET.

Last goal of the season was edge Nate's 11.44. After my 11.49 run, the track was closed for an oil down and it was too late in the day and we were already down to one lane for an oil down the hour before, so no more passes. Could I have gone better than 11.44, maybe, the trend was moving in that direction. Anyway, I came out this year with my own goal in mind, not worrying about where anyone else was........and, there was no "active" competition at all this year for me in the 14b ranks. So, yes, let's see what next year brings...

Last edited:
No sweat. I do hope to see another 14b powered machine in the 11's, there are a few potentials out there and now you too. If you do take it a bit more seriously, you may well surprise yourself.:thumb:

Hell yeah man. The main thing i wanted to at least see was an 11 sec pass this year, whether it be 11.40 or 11.99, just 11's. I know the car has it in it, but i also have a few different setups that id like to try if this one doesnt cut the mustard. Im sure well change a million things over the winter. Good dyno numbers will add too the confidence i have in this car, but im holding my breath for the track to open again next season to see what shes got!

Like I had said previously, please try not to take offense. It's just the way it "sounded" when you posted up. This is the internet and it is extremely difficult to understand someone's tone by reading the words they type. I guess I just wanted to clear that up. I truly do wish you well, competition is fun, but there should always be respect for the other competitors. I see you do have that now, and I hope you help push yourself, and everyone else, in going faster! :rocks:

I love the wheel gap in the first set of pics! and the mesh wheels! I say keep them and rock out the stock suspension going down the track haha. I'm just going for my own personal record of getting my 14b 2g talon down the track at what ever time it gets b/c its never made it hahaha. Good luck with this and I think its awesome for you to post up what you do in your personal time, and I will say its fun just to build something to play with and if it breaks, well its broke we had fun replace it or move on ! There just toys for grown ups is what these DSMs are ;)

This has to be the most common set up among budget builds. The 14b is dirt cheap (comes stock=free) and they perform like hell. It's no secret that the key to a quick 14b car is power to weight ratio and if you help that little snail work, it will impress you. I think this car will be a lot of fun for you and anyone involved with the project. But at the end of the day, the car will probably end up looking like a tin can on slicks by the time it reaches mid 11's, which i don't think will impress too many people. So do it for yourself and do it for fun. There are a lot of people out there with good 14b cars that are set up well for the 1320 and if the car didn't mean anything to them they could start hacking off anything the car didn't need to go in a straight line. As said before, the most impressive feat, is to have a 14b street car that doesn't look like it's been raped and pillaged at the junkyard for years before it hit the track. I've been down this road and it's nothing but fun. The best thing about the 14b is it doesn't make a ton of power so if your car is light and your driving is right your drive train won't feel too much of the abuse. Have fun with the car and thanks for SBR support on the site, us dsm'ers really appreciate the low ball specials. BTW: does this look familiar:

Attachments

• laser 3.jpg
    laser 3.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 672
Like I had said previously, please try not to take offense. It's just the way it "sounded" when you posted up. This is the internet and it is extremely difficult to understand someone's tone by reading the words they type. I guess I just wanted to clear that up. I truly do wish you well, competition is fun, but there should always be respect for the other competitors. I see you do have that now, and I hope you help push yourself, and everyone else, in going faster! :rocks:

Hell yeah buddy! I really hope this bucket doesnt disappoint and brings some competition back!

This has to be the most common set up among budget builds. The 14b is dirt cheap (comes stock=free) and they perform like hell. It's no secret that the key to a quick 14b car is power to weight ratio and if you help that little snail work, it will impress you. I think this car will be a lot of fun for you and anyone involved with the project. But at the end of the day, the car will probably end up looking like a tin can on slicks by the time it reaches mid 11's, which i don't think will impress too many people. So do it for yourself and do it for fun. There are a lot of people out there with good 14b cars that are set up well for the 1320 and if the car didn't mean anything to them they could start hacking off anything the car didn't need to go in a straight line. As said before, the most impressive feat, is to have a 14b street car that doesn't look like it's been raped and pillaged at the junkyard for years before it hit the track. I've been down this road and it's nothing but fun. The best thing about the 14b is it doesn't make a ton of power so if your car is light and your driving is right your drive train won't feel too much of the abuse. Have fun with the car and thanks for SBR support on the site, us dsm'ers really appreciate the low ball specials. BTW: does this look familiar:

Hell yeah man! except your car actually looks good! haha.

Also keep in mind that this car is a DD..it may not be the most comfortable of them all, but its driven daily.

And youre very welcome with our support. Im always here to help when i can!

I love the wheel gap in the first set of pics! and the mesh wheels! I say keep them and rock out the stock suspension going down the track haha. I'm just going for my own personal record of getting my 14b 2g talon down the track at what ever time it gets b/c its never made it hahaha. Good luck with this and I think its awesome for you to post up what you do in your personal time, and I will say its fun just to build something to play with and if it breaks, well its broke we had fun replace it or move on ! There just toys for grown ups is what these DSMs are ;)

haha i know right! it was gonna hit the track on stock suspension ridin a wheelie to the 60' but we never even made it there. Next year it will be rocked out with some real deal goodies like suspension and much more needed goodies.

Engine bay pic added with some requests

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

guys, slowboys has been around for a while i think they know what it takes to make a fast pass... good luck guys!

I'm just saying, without compitition it doesn't look like either one of you two (Nate & Phil) have worked on bettering your own "records".

I never built my car specifically to set any record, it just kinda happened at that time, 11.44 was the fastest a 14b car had gone. I had built the car for a budget race, the GRM $2004 challenge and when you have a budget that low, obiously there is no choice but 14B and nitrous, especially when the most money needs to go into tires and suspension as the car had to autoX and carshow with the same $2004. The 11.44 was basically a $2000 build + drag radials.:thumb:

That 11.44 was done on a junk motor, literally was on it's last pass, it pushed so much coolant out and blew HG to where we had to push it into the trailer. The head was laying in the grass behind my garage for over a year before we slapped it on a 200k mile old junkyard shortblock with no machine work. (pushed the whole coolant catchcan empty every run from the first pass of the year). I think it made like 120psi compression in it's best cyl.

The car also weighed over 3000lb with driver. This was no tin can.

Point being, I didn't build a car to get the record, nor did I make any attempt ever at bettering the record as 05 the car was a money pit 10.0@148 setup, then got parted out. We were just trying to go as fast as we could with the car that was built with a specific budget limit for a magazine race.

I might be getting my old 1g yellow car back this winter, and If I do...you guys better look out:hellyeah: Maybe I'll come out with that car down to 2500lb, on hoosiers, with a direct port kit with 200jets on a 14b and make a real run for the #1 spot. I was planning to swap the T3T4/smim setup from my vr4 into the 1g, but I could be convinced to get back into the 14b fray.

I never built my car specifically to set any record, it just kinda happened at that time, 11.44 was the fastest a 14b car had gone. I had built the car for a budget race, the GRM $2004 challenge and when you have a budget that low, obiously there is no choice but 14B and nitrous, especially when the most money needs to go into tires and suspension as the car had to autoX and carshow with the same $2004. The 11.44 was basically a $2000 build + drag radials.:thumb:

That 11.44 was done on a junk motor, literally was on it's last pass, it pushed so much coolant out and blew HG to where we had to push it into the trailer. The head was laying in the grass behind my garage for over a year before we slapped it on a 200k mile old junkyard shortblock with no machine work. (pushed the whole coolant catchcan empty every run from the first pass of the year). I think it made like 120psi compression in it's best cyl.

Point being, I didn't build a car to get the record, nor did I make any attempt ever at bettering the record as 05 the car was a money pit 10.0@148 setup, then got parted out. We were just trying to go as fast as we could with the car that was built with a specific budget limit for a magazine race.

I might be getting my old 1g yellow car back this winter, and If I do...you guys better look out:hellyeah: Maybe I'll come out with that car down to 2500lb, on hoosiers, with a direct port kit with 200jets on a 14b and make a real run for the #1 spot. I was planning to swap the T3T4/smim setup from my vr4 into the 1g, but I could be convinced to get back into the 14b fray.

HAHA there you are! I was waiting for you to chime in! Lets hit next season hard and generate some buzz with the little pea shooters!!! :hellyeah:

Another contender for the 14b record(s), Damn. My shop is trying to overtake Joe Bucci's record of 10.61 (fastest pass on a 14b) for the 2010 season. We are not trying to do it on a budget or keep it DD thought, so I sill respect all the people making crazy passes with full interiors or just with a few thousand dollars invested. The car was running great before we decommissioned the car to try out a new fuel system and swap the engine and drivetrain into a better shell. The only rules we are standing by is that the 14b can only be ported, no nitrous, and only the 6cm turbine housing no swapping. We are very confident, but have only tuning passes under our belt. One thing that a few DSM's that I work with are complaining about is we will be running alcohol instead of race gas which is what everyone else is running. But the 14b compressor just can not flow enough air to make our goal on gasoline.

Hey Joe why don't you just slap a 14b on Black Betty. LOL

I say go for it! Why not? I most likely am out for next year so I'd like to sit back and watch.

I think with that type of set-up you could challenge Joe B.'s runs. Someone has to, and it ain't gonna be me, not anytime soon anyway!

Another contender for the 14b record(s), Damn. My shop is trying to overtake Joe Bucci's record of 10.61 (fastest pass on a 14b) for the 2010 season. We are not trying to do it on a budget or keep it DD thought, so I sill respect all the people making crazy passes with full interiors or just with a few thousand dollars invested. The car was running great before we decommissioned the car to try out a new fuel system and swap the engine and drivetrain into a better shell. The only rules we are standing by is that the 14b can only be ported, no nitrous, and only the 6cm turbine housing no swapping. We are very confident, but have only tuning passes under our belt. One thing that a few DSM's that I work with are complaining about is we will be running alcohol instead of race gas which is what everyone else is running. But the 14b compressor just can not flow enough air to make our goal on gasoline.

Hey Joe why don't you just slap a 14b on Black Betty. LOL

Where does your car stand now? Have you made a pass yet?

I think we might see two 11 second 14b's coming from southwest pa next season ;)

Good luck! I'm gonna hold you to it now that you've thrown it out there.........

Last edited:
I say go for it! Why not? I most likely am out for next year so I'd like to sit back and watch.

I think with that type of set-up you could challenge Joe B.'s runs. Someone has to, and it ain't gonna be me, not anytime soon anyway!

Yeah, I might be able to get my old racecar back, and if I do, it's going to have to be put together on the most stringent of budget. Most likely Ill have to sacrifice some GVR4 performance parts to make the 1g go. I'd go the same lightweight racecar route as you did, with getting as much weight out as possible until it becomes a matter of BUYING weight loss, at that point it becomes inefficient compared to adding power.

I think my old 1g is within 100lb of yours (rollbar). I would assume if I put a 14B combo together it would be right in the range of mid 11's, Im not sure there is much more performance available on motor alone, and if there is, it's completely going to be via weight. 11.5 @ 116 average + 100shot should go 124mph which with a 1.4 is enough to take down the goodwill car.

I'm really starting to warm up to the idea of a 14B car again :hmm: That was the most fun season I had with the car, so much more fun than when it had big turbo, stupid power, and constantly breaking. Not to mention that's about all I can really afford to do. So really, if I do this, it's going to be very similar to your 09 car just adding the spray. We can tag-team vicarious racing...that's what I did this season through you. hahahah

Yeah, I might be able to get my old racecar back, and if I do, it's going to have to be put together on the most stringent of budget. Most likely Ill have to sacrifice some GVR4 performance parts to make the 1g go. I'd go the same lightweight racecar route as you did, with getting as much weight out as possible until it becomes a matter of BUYING weight loss, at that point it becomes inefficient compared to adding power.

I think my old 1g is within 100lb of yours (rollbar). I would assume if I put a 14B combo together it would be right in the range of mid 11's, Im not sure there is much more performance available on motor alone, and if there is, it's completely going to be via weight. 11.5 @ 116 average + 100shot should go 124mph which with a 1.4 is enough to take down the goodwill car.

I'm really starting to warm up to the idea of a 14B car again :hmm: That was the most fun season I had with the car, so much more fun than when it had big turbo, stupid power, and constantly breaking. Not to mention that's about all I can really afford to do. So really, if I do this, it's going to be very similar to your 09 car just adding the spray. We can tag-team vicarious racing...that's what I did this season through you. hahahah

Sounds Awesome! Hehe.....TEAM VICARIOUS RACINGROFL

Yep. I do believe one full second quicker than my car is totally feasible with the set-up you describe. I will do my best to be out there next year.....but, it's not looking good so far.

I think you should do it up! Grassroots vs. Goodwill, hypothetically speaking of course.

:thumb:

Where is Bucci anyways, would've thought he'd gotten word of all this 14b talk by now.

Eh, to me, I think he's "been there, done that." Last I heard his car was at a chassis shop of sorts for a 22.5 whatever cage deal certified to 7.50 or something like that. He makes very few appearances up here, and I think the last one was to remind me that he still OWNS the record at 10.84....it was one of those conversations where we're talking about mid-elevens as record runs, ya know where he's so damn far ahead, we forget we're really not in the hunt for the record.......one of those AWD 14B conversations. I am into the categorizing, but, now, after going even quicker than I ever thought I would, I've bought into the fact that there are really TWO overall records on the 14b, regardless of drivetrain, 14b quickest ET, and 14b quickest ET with NOS., and Joe has both of them. Again, we can categorize. I just saw a "world record pass" thread with 8.69 as the number and I'm like, that's no world record. But, I read further and its the GAS AUTO trans record, so it's not only us in 14b world that are breaking down and categorizing. Then, someone mentioned use of methanol VS. gas, but, in the long run, it's ultimately who has laid down the quickest run. Shep 7.70 NOS, Kevin K. 8.35 NO NOS, Joe B. 16g no NOS & NOS 14b no NOS & NOS. Pretty cut and dry and of course for every other turbo out there.....

By your own definition, saying he has the 14b record is categorizing. Other than maybe the 35r guys no one else categoriizes by turbo. Either you are the fastest or you aren't.

By your own definition, saying he has the 14b record is categorizing. Other than maybe the 35r guys no one else categoriizes by turbo. Either you are the fastest or you aren't.

You have a valid point. In the end, the only real record is who is the fastest period. But where's the fun in that? That's why we break things down into categories, turbo sizes, gas vs alcohol, awd vs. fwd, auto vs. manual, nitrous vs w/out nitrous. We could all make up some kind of record that we could overtake couldn't we :D

I think in the end the only thing that matters is that a good majority of people respect it as a "unofficial record". To me 14b breaks down into awd vs fwd and w/nitrous vs w/out nitrous. Those are the records I respect. Maybe some agree, maybe some don't, it doesn't really matter in the end.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back