The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

The quest for the AWD 14b record title WITHOUT nitrous continues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBR Joe

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 9, 2007
Butler/Indiana, Pennsylvania
Well...with this car its been a grueling string of the typical bad luck DSM bug. First the re vamping of the whole car because it was a hack from the gate, had to re weld the motor mount ear to the block, tear it all down and re do it. Then it blew the HG when we got it up on the road, then the lifters collapsed with the big cams...then we FINALLY had everything on it and running great and the day of the LAST TRACK day at the local drag strip, blew the HG after the EVO 3 intake mani install and final tune. Needless to say it would have been an 11 sec car one way or the other...we were just shooting for the record without using nitrous...didnt happen. But for your viewing pleasure i have listed all mods and some pics. We will be hitting the dyno this weekend to at least get some reassurance that the "project bucket" which has seemingly been festering with demons since we had our hands on it will give us some results that were seeking.

List of mods include:

-redone stock 6 bolt block
-freshened up 7 bolt head with stock evo beehives and HKS 264's
-EVO 3 inatke manifold
-SBR Street FMIC
-HAFE case SS ehaust manifold
-14b with ported evo 3 turbine and o2 housing
-PTE 780cc injectors
-Keydiver stage 3 chip
-SAFC
-Walbro 255hp

Thats the majority of it, and the car is LIGHT!! Alot of time was spent replacing things with lighter things, and/or removing things all together. Fuel were using is turbo blue 115 which we actually have at the pump here. (YAY FOR PA!)

Im not sure on what the numbers will be, the car is fast though. Second gear all 4 wheels cut loose and it soars through the gears. Power to weight ratio is the biggest thing this has going for it. 27psi it holds with the WG actuator shimmed to hell and back haha (dont worry, we have a surplus of good 14bs for its inevitable replacement.) I will post dyno results this weekend when we get them. Heres some pics of this hideous track slut. :thumb:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

More pics to come later!!

Last edited:
Cool car!! she'll be going so fast no one will notice her flaw's. :thumb:

im curious about that keydiver chip, how much boost can you run on 93 without knocking??

OOOoohhh... That dash is sooo... Cool. Yet looks weird in there at the same time... I'm so used to the center console and hvac controls...

Reminds me of some 90's sedans, flat dash and nothing for a center console.

Oooo like the taurus or sable!!

When do the lexan windows get installed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting.....I never knew you guys were on, "the quest for the 14b record title WITHOUT nitrous." You mentioned the car would have been good for 11's. Not to insult, but you do realize the record is 10.84? That is THE NO NOS 14b record time.

27psi.....WOW!

Well, I wish you guys luck and I'll be interested to hear your dyno numbers and see what you can do at the strip!

One thing that will help, is to get rid of those heavy ass wheels!!

You probibly already know that, but those things weigh a ton..

Cool car!! she'll be going so fast no one will notice her flaw's. :thumb:

im curious about that keydiver chip, how much boost can you run on 93 without knocking??

were running near 30 psi on a 50/50 mix of 93 and turbo blue with 11.9 AFR's and no knock. Jeff makes some great stuff, ive never been disappointed in his work!

Interesting.....I never knew you guys were on, "the quest for the 14b record title WITHOUT nitrous." You mentioned the car would have been good for 11's. Not to insult, but you do realize the record is 10.84? That is THE NO NOS 14b record time.

27psi.....WOW!

Well, I wish you guys luck and I'll be interested to hear your dyno numbers and see what you can do at the strip!

Were actually going for nate crismans record, the AWD 14b record. Sorry i wasnt more specific. And this is just someting im doing with my buddies car. Its his car, just 75% of the parts and work is mine haha. Ill post some pics of MY 2g later on with the stats on its goodies.

Where do you get the Turbo Blue? Is it just out near you guys or in various places across PA?

Its near me. I live in butler, its at a sunoco on route 8 north.

One thing that will help, is to get rid of those heavy ass wheels!!

You probibly already know that, but those things weigh a ton..

HAHA yeah, actually these wheels are the lightest stock ones ive ever dealt with! Its project go fast for cheap, so well leave them as long as we can! Either way mu buddy Curt will let us borrow his trak lites with slicks if we dare testing the stock drive train with the 6 puck unsprung clutch were using! haha

Good luck and have fun. Seems like this really caught on after Joe Bucci started doing crazy things. Good luck with chasing down 10's on the 14b.

FYI for everyone were going for teh AWD 14b record which is 11.4 i believe. Wed just like to do this off the bottle :)

Last edited:
Heres some 2g love. My soon to be 500whp pump gas car. ill keep it short and sweet!

-Slowboy Stage 2 2.0. Engine pro rods, Wiseco 10:1 flat tops, fully balanced
-Slowboy Stage 3 head, Ferrea valves, Cosworth beehive springs, stock evo retainers.
-SBR Race FMIC
-DSM link V2
-FIC 1050cc injectors
-Wally 255hp
-Aeromotive return like kit
-SBR filter to rail feed line
-Magnus 10AN Fuel Rail
-SBR Sheet metal intake manifold
-HKS 264 cams
-Fidanza Cam gears
-ACT 2600 w/ 6 puck spring disc
-SBR LSD insert
-Borg Warner S256 with 362 turbine wheel
-FP race manifold
-Tial 44 mm gate with custom o2 housing (not in the pic LOL)
-A1 head studs

and alot more. check out profile for more odds and end things. heres some pics.

Just figured id give you guys some info on some of my personal projects that myself and my buddies do. Its my OTHER job per say other than Slowboy HAHA

Motor pics?

Coming tomorrow when i get to the garage :thumb:

Last edited:
Were actually going for nate crimsons record, the AWD 14b record. Sorry i wasnt more specific.

FYI for everyone were going for teh AWD 14b record which is 11.4 i believe. Wed just like to do this off the bottle :)

Ok, Nate CRISMAN's 11.44 is with use of NOS...

You've said you want to do this WITHOUT NOS which means the "record" you are seeking to beat is my best pass which is 11.49.....

...your post made it seem as though you've been at this for some time.....unfortunately....your post also shows you're not quite up to date on what's what. So, there you have it.

Good luck!

Ok, Nate CRISMAN's 11.44 is with use of NOS...

You've said you want to do this WITHOUT NOS which means the "record" you are seeking to beat is my best pass which is 11.49.....

...your post made it seem as though you've been at this for some time.....unfortunately....your post also shows you're not quite up to date on what's what. So, there you have it.

Good luck!

Actually im very up to date on everything! I just didnt properly word it correctly, but thanks for the literal advice! LOL jk.

And weve been at this for about 3 months haha. Im confident the car can do it, im just gonna have to wait till next season to find out :cry:

Oh well...winter will just give us some tweaking time!

Last edited:
Go out there and run a 11.39 that will blow both with and without nitrous records. Then they'll both have something to work towards...

Actually im very up to date on everything! I just didnt properly word it correctly, but thanks for the literal advice! LOL jk.

And weve been at this for about 3 months haha. Im confident the car can do it, im just gonna have to wait till next season to find out :cry:

Oh well...winter will just give us some tweaking time!

Fair enough, I wish you luck and hope to see you in the 11's next year!

Go out there and run a 11.39 that will blow both with and without nitrous records. Then they'll both have something to work towards...

ROFL

My "record," was quoted above because it's not a quickest ET record. Some people call my run an overall ET record, it's not. The only record I can claim to hold is the quickest stock engine/turbo DSM. Or maybe the least modded engine/turbo DSM as well.

Again, the quickest 14b ET is 10.84, and on NOS it's 10.61.....so 11.39 will not get the job done. However an 11.39 will be a nice pass IF he can get it done. He seem to have the mod list to do it. The rest is the hard part.

As far as what I'm working towards......far quicker than 11.39. That was the goal at my last track day this year, I just fell a tenth short. As for Nate, he's moved on to a different project. His 11.44 pass was several years ago.

Last edited:
JOE! that 2g is absolutely SICKKKKK

i was about to sell my 2g and then i saw this yea... that made me happy. Maybe i just need to look at more 2g pictures LOL.

ANYWAYS thanks for the pics and the ideas. Keep up the good work at slowboys!

My bad... I forgot to put record in " ".... Let me rephrase this then:

Go out there and run a 11.39 that will blow both with and without nitrous "records" that are mentioned here. Then they'll both have something to work towards...

I'm just saying, without compitition it doesn't look like either one of you two (Nate & Phil) have worked on bettering your own "records".

JOE! that 2g is absolutely SICKKKKK

i was about to sell my 2g and then i saw this yea... that made me happy. Maybe i just need to look at more 2g pictures LOL.

ANYWAYS thanks for the pics and the ideas. Keep up the good work at slowboys!

Thanks man! Just wanted to show everyone im in the game 24/7 too (or as much as teh wifey lets me hahaha), im not just some pushy salesman that doesnt know the first thing about what im selling! haha i live it!

My bad... I forgot to put record in " ".... Let me rephrase this then:

Go out there and run a 11.39 that will blow both with and without nitrous "records" that are mentioned here. Then they'll both have something to work towards...

I'm just saying, without compitition it doesn't look like either one of you two (Nate & Phil) have worked on bettering your own "records".

HEHE dont worry buddy, i have something for them to step it up for. :sneaky:

I hate to be "that guy" but I think I speak for a lot of people who have gone after the fast 14b times. It's not so easy as slapping on parts and going quick (not including myself as i'm still slow LOL). Don't take me the wrong way, I wish you luck and hope to see you laying down some good times next year, in fact I'd like to see you surprise me and make a real run at the record. But there are people who have been doing this a LONG time and have taken it this far, it's going to be hard to believe you're going to just up and show up and run record times. Not trying to discourage you obviously, in fact, take it as encouragement to prove me wrong :D

What kind of suspension work do you have going on? What kind of rubber?

I hate to be "that guy" but I think I speak for a lot of people who have gone after the fast 14b times. It's not so easy as slapping on parts and going quick (not including myself as i'm still slow LOL). Don't take me the wrong way, I wish you luck and hope to see you laying down some good times next year, in fact I'd like to see you surprise me and make a real run at the record. But there are people who have been doing this a LONG time and have taken it this far, it's going to be hard to believe you're going to just up and show up and run record times. Not trying to discourage you obviously, in fact, take it as encouragement to prove me wrong :D

What kind of suspension work do you have going on? What kind of rubber?

no worries, no discouraging me...ive been in this game for a long time and am friends with some real fast cats...legends to some, that ive picked up some tricks of the trade from along the lines. Needless to say i know what im doing. ;)

and the guy that im teaming up with on this laser build is sleepyvr4, my buddy Colin..and he currently holds the title for fastest 14b GVR4 with a 12.37. Factoring in all the mod/tuning differences, and the HUGE weight difference...it should put us at right where we expect. and thats within contemption for the mid 11's.

Suspension will soon be some D2 coilovers, and meats come track time will be borrowed from my buddy Curt, his Trak lite wheels and (M&H i believe) slicks.

Good to hear then. I guess I'll admit you kind of sounded a bit disrespectful to these guys who have come before and worked hard at setting these "records" to say you're just going to go out and break them the first year you show up. I'm sure you've been around a long time and have experience, but the big names in the 14b game have been known for quite some time I think we all understand it a little bit better now and where you're coming from :D Good luck to ya!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back