The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

The PTE 6262 Turbo Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just got my 6262 back from PTE. 320.00 for a full rebuild!! Its jb though. Can’t beat that!. They even called and told me exactly what they found and everything. Let the tuning began.

That's good comp upgraded my turbine wheel to there hf wheel I am so shocked got the invoice almost 700.00 this is insaneOMG I am so upset!! This thing better put me over 600 for sure.

Just got my 6262 back from PTE. 320.00 for a full rebuild!! Its jb though. Can’t beat that!.
Sure you could- it can be serviced for a little more than half that price if all it needed was new bearings and seals.

Not to mention the PTE journal bearing 6262 runs around $900 new; you've now spent $320 on top of that for a rebuild....so that's $1220 spent and you still have a journal bearing 6262 when you could have had a new ball bearing unit from the get-go for nearly the same price.

Ok guys just wanted to check in with a question I have. Am I a worried wart and it's just me or is there something to be concerned about here? Keep in mind the brand new motor I had put together had metal shavings in it so in my mind pretty much anything is possible, brand new or not.
So I was taking some pics of the turbo (testing out friends SLR camera) and spun the wheel as the turbo was standing up on the exhaust housing. I noticed it spun very little and stopped like there was a lot of resistance on it. I am keeping in mind it is puting force on the thrust (plate?) so that would cause friction. This is being compared to it being spun on it's side with the shaft completely horizontal where it would spin with the slightest breeze and very slowly stops. But when you tilt the turbo forward (compressor facing down) it mostly spins the same as horizontal. Recap: Pretty much have to sweet spot the angle for it to spin "freely". This confuses me because I saw a video of a direct comparison between a jb and a BB both on the exhaust housing and the jb spins more than mine on it's back and the BB spins the same as mine on it's side.
So is there something to be worried about or am I just a worried wart?

IT's normal for a JB turbo to not spin as well when standing up on the turbine housing. As long as the amount of play you have in the shaft is within spec you'll be just fine if you oil it properly

I understand this. Its a BB turbo not a JB that I own. It spins very freely when perfectly horizontal but anything other than that and it feels like its "binding".

I understand this. Its a BB turbo not a JB that I own. It spins very freely when perfectly horizontal but anything other than that and it feels like its "binding".

Mine is the same way. I have the ceramic DBB (assume you have the same). When it's vertical (turbine housing on a table, and the compressor feel facing towards the ceiling) the turbo seems to have resistance. But when you turn it horizontal it spins free. Mine never saw oil yet so I assume it's just normal. Anyone else encounter this?

After I saw it was like that I decided to drip some 5w-30 in there to lube up the bearings and see if it would help. It didn't really do anything. Question for you. When holding the TiVo with onhabd and spinning the blade with the other, can you feel it spinning or no? Because when I do that with mine I can feel something but nothing extreme. My friend said it was the bearings but I'm not sure.

When it's vertical (turbine housing on a table, and the compressor feel facing towards the ceiling) the turbo seems to have resistance. But when you turn it horizontal it spins free.

Does anybody have a diagram or cutaway pic showing the PTE bearing system? Even one of those exploded view parts list things might be interesting.

I called PTE yesterday and I explained to them the situation. They told me that not all turbos are perfect and vary turbo to turbo. They also said to bolt the turbo up and start the car and listen for any weird noises, if there aren't any than the turbo is fine but if there is than take it off and send it in. Right now my motor is at the machine shop apart and I wont have it in for about 2 months to check this out. I guess I'm waiting. I'm almost tempted to send it in as I have down time now because the last thing I want is to bolt everything up when its done and have to send the turbo in.

id be interested in anyone who has dyno numbers for the 6262 with the mitsubishi housing. my buddy has one on his 1g, but the car is sitting in my impound lot waiting on upgrades and repairs. he was running a 255 pump with stock fuel lines and it seems like the turbo maxed that out, and the medium sized intercooler thats on it is heat soaks after 1 pull.
all i seem to find is numbers for the t3 or t4 housings, cant find anything on the mitsubishi housing and id really like to know what to expect as far as how much less power its going to make compared to the t3 version.

I had a PTE JB .82 a/r t3 housing on my stock block 86,*** mile motor. I tuned up at 28 psi. Never had any issues out of the turbo other then the seemingly slower spool time the most(probably due to an exhaust leak). But i fed from the OFH because PTE told me the exact same thing about if i didnt they wouldnt cover it. But i ran it for about 1000 mile before swapping to a BW s259ET. Dont know power numbers(street tuned by Dave Katz). But i saw 28psi at about 5000-5200 and it screamed until i decided to shift. Great turbo but for my older motor i guess it was a little to tired for the 6262.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I had a PTE JB .82 a/r t3 housing on my stock block 86,*** mile motor..... [/IMG]

Let's see, I'm looking at your lower picture, at clearance from the compressor housing to the radiator and to the water pipe. Looks like you have about 3/4 inch to the water pipe. I don't see a fan. Were you able to fit a fan in between the compressor housing and the radiator? What kind of exhaust manifold is that (who made it)?

With the down time I'm experiencing I have to keep entertained some how. This is my custom handheld topmount setup LOL.

semi-off topic question: are there flow numbers anywhere for pt turbos? i just ordered a new 5558 from extremepsi. its "rated at 590hp". now i would think thats a bunch of bullsh!t. i want to see lb/min. it was the smallest pte under the race and street category. but for my goals of 400whp, i think it will work. just wonder how much these things flow

I have read many times the 6262 is good for 70lbs/min.
Anyway here it is.

semi-off topic question: are there flow numbers anywhere for pt turbos? i just ordered a new 5558 from extremepsi. its "rated at 590hp"... but for my goals of 400whp, i think it will work. just wonder how much these things flow

I don't think PTE ever publishes compressor maps for their turbos. They might not even have maps. Their rating of 590 is probably not too far off if you figure everything maxed out, your engine, your bolt-ons, C16 race gas, you know, the works. Not to mention - are they talking hp at the flywheel or at the wheels of a 2 wheel drive car? My guess is that for 400 front wheel drive hp you made a reasonable choice, and their 590 is more like flywheel hp with everything on kill.

that 6262 is a monster! just checking a few picks of it. wonder how it fits with stock fans? im wondering the same about the 5558 i just ordered. time will tell i suppose. im using stock 2g mani, 2g o2 as well. good to hear i can hit my goals. thanks bro

I should have some HP #s by tuesday evening of the 6266 DBB T3 .82 backhousing hopefully nice #s

I should have some HP #s by tuesday evening of the 6266 DBB T3 .82 backhousing hopefully nice #s

Can't wait to see them! I was on the fence between the 6262 and the 6266. The 6262 should get me where I want to go with less spool time especially how its DBB.

Well guys, i made 750AWHP/565ftlbs on 36psi with a 6266, pretty sure most of my mods are in my profile, I would've went higher in boost but my 2 walboros and BAP had enough. will have a video up soon.

Ya chart is in the video too, ill try to scan a print out today, Gear driven is quarter masters better/newer design.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back