The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

The 16g Drag Race Discussion Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've been modding my car since the last time out. Going nearly 128mph on my first trip out shows some good potential, so I'm looking for more.

Yesterday I removed the exhaust manifold and :ohdamn:
I remembered that I just threw on an old cracked unported :ohdamn: ex mani on the car to pass smog! I can't believe I made over 400 AWHP on that mani. That's going to be upgraded quick.

I also built a downflow compressor outlet and rotated the compressor housing. This removes a 1.75" diameter 180* bend, which should save a little weight and reduce pressure drop.

I started installing the 70mm billet throttle body! I swapped the TPS, ISC, and FIAV. Yep, stock idle control with massive flow, triple shaft seals. I think I'm in love!
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Pretty cool Dave! It's you or Fonz into the 10's first on the e316g, who's it gonna be?

You guys have no idea how badly I can't wait to hit the track this friday and turn up the wick. Seeing all this net chatter about multiple 16g cars going low 11's and nearly 130 has put a serious itch in me.

I put another stock trans in the car yesterday and will hopefully finish up the assembly tonight. Tomorrow night Im going to get the nitrous hooked up. Crossing my fingers that a stock center diff holds up and I don't have any major issues preventing a solid pass.

You guys have no idea how badly I can't wait to hit the track this friday and turn up the wick. Seeing all this net chatter about multiple 16g cars going low 11's and nearly 130 has put a serious itch in me.

I put another stock trans in the car yesterday and will hopefully finish up the assembly tonight. Tomorrow night Im going to get the nitrous hooked up. Crossing my fingers that a stock center diff holds up and I don't have any major issues preventing a solid pass.

Go for it man! Maybe you'll hit 10's first! :aha:

Damn 11's on a 16g street car. I plan on doing the same thing, but then again I'm a 2g, my mods aren't up to date, but I do run e85 as well, mods are similar to you FonZ. Have you dyoed it since the 11 sec? How much you flowing by the way?

Airflow's at 44lb/min all day which is what the turbo's good for.. LOL.

Never dynoed the car on e85. It put down 352awhp on pump 93 and trapped in the 118-119mph range with that - 11.6-11.7 at that power level. So figure the car's current best is 127.8mph... It's gotta be low-mid 400's to the wheels on a dynojet... but I'm not a big fan of dynos, I usually just sneak on them when the local shops run good deals:sneaky:

I know the headgaskets not the happiest and I'm sure compression too, but I'm going to keep running the car as it is, motor wise till something happens. Turbo I really want to go 10s, hopefully on a cool street night. Was thinking about going tomorrow... we'll see.

There are many things I could do to make more power with the car, but I chose not to. I like keeping things as simple as possible, and keeping the budget as low as possible too. It's part of the thrill for me.

Phil your excietment is funny:) - I still shock myself with the car to this day.

That's a nice piece Dave! Where'd you pick that up?

Thanks! The billet TB really stands out, you should see it in person.
I got it from Full Function at fftec.com That's the shop that came up with the original Leak Proof Throttle Body. This is the next step! It's not on their website yet, but I saw a few more on the shelf so you have to ask for it.

I don't think I'll be first into the tens from this group. I hope to hit tens soon, but I can't rush it. I sent my clutch back for a rebuild since it wasn't fully disengaging which slowed the shifts really bad. That takes a couple weeks. I might do a few other mods while the car is down and that might take a little more time.

Thanks! The billet TB really stands out, you should see it in person.
I got it from Full Function at fftec.com That's the shop that came up with the original Leak Proof Throttle Body. This is the next step! It's not on their website yet, but I saw a few more on the shelf so you have to ask for it.

I don't think I'll be first into the tens from this group. I hope to hit tens soon, but I can't rush it. I sent my clutch back for a rebuild since it wasn't fully disengaging which slowed the shifts really bad. That takes a couple weeks. I might do a few other mods while the car is down and that might take a little more time.

Well, I'm with you on the not rushing it thing, that's for sure. Obviously, dropping into the 10's with any small turbo is a serious task and accomplishment and is by no means a walk in the park. And, to help hold you from that is the fact that a few of you still drive your cars on the street which does keep the weight up. It will be cool to see you guys go for it anyway. Maybe I'll follow you guys in 16g world next year or something. Good luck and keep us posted on new developments.

Never dynoed the car on e85. It put down 352awhp on pump 93 and trapped in the 118-119mph range with that - 11.6-11.7 at that power level. So figure the car's current best is 127.8mph... It's gotta be low-mid 400's to the wheels on a dynojet... but I'm not a big fan of dynos, I usually just sneak on them when the local shops run good deals:sneaky:

I know the headgaskets not the happiest and I'm sure compression too, but I'm going to keep running the car as it is, motor wise till something happens. Turbo I really want to go 10s, hopefully on a cool street night. Was thinking about going tomorrow... we'll see.

There are many things I could do to make more power with the car, but I chose not to. I like keeping things as simple as possible, and keeping the budget as low as possible too. It's part of the thrill for me.

Phil your excietment is funny:) - I still shock myself with the car to this day.

44lbs/min, that good. That is with cams right? Right now I flow 43lbs/min with no cams, stock motor. I am getting my head done and it is getting a port and polish with ss valves and hks 272 regrinds with manley springs. I will take logs after the cams, hopefully cams make a difference :)

You do not happen to have any logs you would like to share? I know some people do not like posting their logs, so I understand.

(Also just updated my mods list, incase you/anyone wanted to see)

Never dynoed the car on e85. It put down 352awhp on pump 93 and trapped in the

Why?:D I love the small turbo stuff. I like the minimalist approach you have as I have always had the same approach. Sure, an 8 second DSM is impressive, but it takes ALOT to get there. You expect a car with 1000 HP to run fast. I just like seeing every last bit extracted from the small turbos, and you and pneumo have very few ever that are quicker than you on the E316G. I think it's pretty huge. English went 10.6 in his auto race car, and then the guy at the shootout I guess was 10.9--was that a full race car? or street driven? The fact that your cars are still street driven is sick too. Anyway....I'm sure you are amazed at what the car is doing, you should be. It's awesome man, and as I've said before, it's really impressive all the way around Fonz.

I just can't believe that you guys are talking about getting into the 10's with the same turbo I'm struggling to get into the 12's with, but I'm sure I'm running a lot less boost than you guys and my car weighs a lot more.

All I want to do is go install my e316g now and get to a track and start tuning. I am still missing a crap load of mods tho.

I am 7 bolt stock with mbc, fmic, greddy bov and gauges. waiting for my fp intake and my 2g 16g install kit to do the turbo.
Any other ideas for mods that are reasonably budgeted

All I want to do is go install my e316g now and get to a track and start tuning. I am still missing a crap load of mods tho.

I am 7 bolt stock with mbc, fmic, greddy bov and gauges. waiting for my fp intake and my 2g 16g install kit to do the turbo.
Any other ideas for mods that are reasonably budgeted

Well do you have any fuel upgrades or anything to tune with? What about an exhaust?

I can't wait to try out my all new E16G w/t 2.3 Stroker and Kelford 272's setup :D

I'm expecting this setup to be downright violent at 21psi-ish :hellyeah:

Hopefully I can make it to the strip this year.

this is in sane I cant believe this thread... rock on guys!! I'v got an e316g on my 2g dsm, if I can make a 11 sec pass Ill be stoked. this thread right here is why I love dsm's. oh and congrats on the shootout victory. low 11's. completely awesome!!

Drove down to the track last night for fun in full street trim.

17" Evo wheels, Kumho rubber. LOTs of wheelspin, breaking up bad up top at the track (suspect too cold of plugs).

Car went 11.39 @ 122.32. 1.83 60 foot. Went 11.50 and 11.60 also with junk 60's. Just for fun!

So for street tires and nothing special and breaking up, I'm happy with the e/t. I had to pedal first gear and some of 2nd due to wheelspin.

I'll be back at the track soon enough on the slicks and a better tune.

17" Evo wheels, Kumho rubber. LOTs of wheelspin, breaking up bad up top at the track (suspect too cold of plugs).

Car went 11.39 @ 122.32. 1.83 60 foot. Went 11.50 and 11.60 also with junk 60's. Just for fun!

So for street tires and nothing special and breaking up, I'm happy with the e/t. I had to pedal first gear and some of 2nd due to wheelspin.

Awesome ! :thumb: Street nights were always my best times at the strip as far as being fun. That is pretty sick though man....11.3 on your 17's.....keep it comin Fonz............:thumb:

I love nights like that, especially when you go in knowing full well that your not equipped to set any new ET and it's just for the fun of running/driving/tuning. Just a good time making passes and enjoying the car instead of stressing about trying to make a new best pass.

I love nights like that, especially when you go in knowing full well that your not equipped to set any new ET and it's just for the fun of running/driving/tuning. Just a good time making passes and enjoying the car instead of stressing about trying to make a new best pass.

Exactly! Even though it was a street night when I set what was the record at the time on the 14b, 12.02. That was icing on the cake along with whipping some Mustang ass. I miss those nights for sure. He did set his personal best though at 11.39 as I'm pretty sure he went a best of 11.60 on the street tires before that. So, a fun night all around and still made progress.

Exactly! Even though it was a street night when I set what was the record at the time on the 14b, 12.02. That was icing on the cake along with whipping some Mustang ass. I miss those nights for sure. He did set his personal best though at 11.39 as I'm pretty sure he went a best of 11.60 on the street tires before that. So, a fun night all around and still made progress.

Right, what Im saying is that once you start running the car on slicks, with weight out, nitrous on, or special fuel.....running without any of those "options" generally takes the stress off since you pretty much know the car isn't set on full tilt - max effort.

Last time I took my GVR4 to the track I was in somewhat of a rush and didn't have time to get my hoosiers off the yellow 1g, so I went on street tires and kept the full exhaust and all seats. The car went 11.8 @ 116 and I was totally satisfied with that and didn't really feel the need to continue to beat the snot out of the car or completely max out the tune. It was an "everyday E85 setup" so to speak, but for some reason I just don't have the same drive to try and get the absolute best ET possible out of a "non maxed out" setup. "anything in the 11's would be sweet" was my just for fun opinion of the night. Where as if I had been on slicks and minus 150lb, I would have been beating the car hard and never satisfied unless what that nights goal was accomplished.

Right, what Im saying is that once you start running the car on slicks, with weight out, nitrous on, or special fuel.....running without any of those "options" generally takes the stress off since you pretty much know the car isn't set on full tilt - max effort.

Last time I took my GVR4 to the track I was in somewhat of a rush and didn't have time to get my hoosiers off the yellow 1g, so I went on street tires and kept the full exhaust and all seats. The car went 11.8 @ 116 and I was totally satisfied with that and didn't really feel the need to continue to beat the snot out of the car or completely max out the tune. It was an "everyday E85 setup" so to speak, but for some reason I just don't have the same drive to try and get the absolute best ET possible out of a "non maxed out" setup. "anything in the 11's would be sweet" was my just for fun opinion of the night. Where as if I had been on slicks and minus 150lb, I would have been beating the car hard and never satisfied unless what that nights goal was accomplished.

I gotcha Nate, I totally understand what you mean. Unfortunately, all of my trips are all about the number now as I really have no street car to go with. I suppose I could take the VR4 up there to play around but probably not worth my time and I don't want to wreck anything on that car.

Yup, I was messing with the car all day, driving here, driving there, all my buddys wanted to go to the track, so I was like "#### it, I'll take it for fun".

The only thing I did to the car was let some air out of the tires in hopes of some traction. Car was full street trim 1/2 tank of gas... as opposed to "kill mode" haha.

On the way there, with some more sun out, the car pulled CLEAN 1-4 gears.

Cold night, 3rd and 4th the car was was missing bad, top of 4th gear the car literally fell on its face reading 9.5 AFR's and 113% duty cycles (on 1000's)...

Car's been tuned mostly to run on 90* days LOL so I got to do a little fixing up. In the past though, my car usually picked up MPH every pass as it got later and colder, so I'm hoping that will happen. I'm running BR8ES plugs which may be a little too cold for e85 and cool september air. I'll try some BR7's soon.

All launches were babying too, 1.83 is nothing special for my street tire launches. I suspect the car could go 11.1-11.2 @ 124-125 on a good street night on street tires.

Nothing like a low 11 second on a simple setup and taking it to work all week without changing a thing:hellyeah:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back