The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Woohoo, first drag race

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enigma_Man

20+ Year Contributor
May 15, 2002
Lawrence, Massachusetts
Yay, had my first experience drag racing this weekend, at the New England Dragway, in New Hampshire. It was such fun, and I'm so hooked now. I only got two runs in, because of the terrible traffic, and I had much help rewiring the fuel pump before racing, but it was awesome.

This should be a link to a scan of my timeslip.

I think it's a pretty poor slip, but I was nervous and stuff, and it was my 2nd run ever, and I'm still proud of it anyway :)

-Jesse

damn, dood if you worked on your reaction time you would have run a mid 14 instead of a high 14. not bad though, congrats!

a hint of advice, when the second yellow before the green lights up, pop the clutch and floor the gas. if you time it just right, you wont foul, and you will begin leaving the tree at the green. you may have to practice it, but getting the tree down right is the key to good time slips, that and learning your car and how to race it properly. hope that helps!

oh yeah, when your waiting for the lights to go down, keep your rpm.s at about 5 thousand or so, may be loud as fu@k, but hell, if your awd, your take off will have you climbing outta the backseat, and you will get the jump on whomever your next to. maybe even pop a wheelie with the right combination of mods and tuning!

i go to the new england drag all the time, maybe ill c ya there i have a red 1990 GSX

i'd be happy with that, i only ran 17.43@83MPH my first outting, that pathetic ET did however notify me of a shot knock sensor, 02 sensor, 6 boost leaks a slip and slide stock clutch, those problems have since been worked out and ill be VERY pissed if it doesnt run 14.99.

"damn, dood if you worked on your reaction time you would have run a mid 14 instead of a high 14"

Please god tell me you're joking, right, and you do know that reaction time has nothing to do with your ET. And as for popping a wheelie, if John Shephard isn't doing it in an awd, it ain't gonna happen!!!

Thank you... Yes your reaction time has nothing to do with your e.t. You couuld sit there for as long as you wanted and it will still be the same time I promise. Back to the subject nice runs must be nice to have awd...

I think next time, I'm going to launch a little harder, and I just bought a palm that I can use if I can find some used pocketlogger stuff somewhere.

Any other strategy for getting down the track quicker? I can shift fairly quick, but I took it easy, cause first time on the track. I shift before the redline, because the car seems to lose power the closer it gets to the red, and when the rpms drop, it drops to a fairly nice spot in the power band, so it feels like.

-Jesse

Ok heres what u do. Stage the car. Sit there then start try to get it right around 4800 rpms and hold it there when the greenm drops just wait a second u know it dropped but your not tryin to race thid guy u wanna see how good YOU can do. Watch your revs when your content youve got id right around 4800 back off the clutch dont side step it. Ease the clutch out sort of quick so it slips a lil and rail your foot on the go pedal at the same time. In our cars first is non existent your out of first real quick so redline first then 6800 in 2nd and 3rd you should just be shifting to fourth when u hit the line.

The staging technique is how i learned to get out of the hole the best i used to worry about racing the other car instead of doing my best.

After my first time at the track we went back and my buddy Phil Beers said listen just sit at the line and pay attention to what YOU are doing not what the other guy is doing. I did this and on a stock 1g with all season tires i got a 1.6 60 foot and a 14.8@93 the car was bone stock at that time.

Practice is what makes u good not just going to the track and racing. You need to pay attention to what u do and after u do it a few times it becomes natural knowledge as to where the car is revving and when to shift. You get used to the noises the car makes at these points and u know when to what u have to do.

O and r/t has NOTHING to do with your 1/4 mile pass. You could cut a perfect tree .500 (pro tree .400) or sit there for a week and still get the same 1/4 mile numbers. Your time doesnt start until u break the beam.

if you wanna try to keep the top end pulling, try this....
bypass your boost solenoid restrictor by just conecting the tubes, it'll be safe unless you serioulsly up the boost. all that thing does is reduce your boost if your knock sensor hears anything funny, even if it's not knock, but it should be fine at or around stock boost levels. mine pulls up to almost 7000.

91 gsx + k&n + bypassed boost solenoid restrictor = 14.4 @ 94.7 mph, 1.9 60 ft ;)

Nice times! My first time was a loooot worse than that..:cry:

My best time for the night can be found by clicking on the link I have to the scan of the timeslip.

I only got one other run in, and it was something like a 15.0, it was my very first run ever.

My list of mods can be found by clicking on my name, and looking at it. It's all up to date.

I have a manual boost controller, so the boost solenoid thingy doesn't come into play.

It was on about 1/4 of a tank of 93 octane, I didn't want to spend the money on race gas with a quarter of a tank of regular, and I was trying to tune for regular driving around too.

-Jesse

Quote: After my first time at the track we went back and my buddy Phil Beers said listen just sit at the line and pay attention to what YOU are doing not what the other guy is doing. I did this and on a stock 1g with all season tires i got a 1.6 60 foot and a 14.8@93 the car was bone stock at that time.

Yeah, Phil rocks the house... He taught me how to launch the last time I went up to East Lebanon... Then my clutch started to slip. Damned slave cylinder... I should be back up north on October 4th with a new 14b on my 2G :D The last time I saw Phil run, I think he did a 12.11 on a 14b equipped 1G. Man that guy can drive. He also taught me the single most important lesson about DSMs. Don't throw parts at a car. If something's broken, fix it, but the single most important mod you can make to your car is the driver. Thank God my T-25 ate the big one....

Later,
Matt

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back