The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

TalonDave & The Next Generation of Holset.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JusMX141

Dec 13, 2005
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
Before Dave had even wrapped up the project of completely rebuilding his car two summers ago, I had already started planning what his next turbo might be. The old HX40 has absolutely surpassed our expectations of both performance and reliability....so what's the next step?

With such a large gap between the HX40 and HX52, something custom would need to be introduced. Wanting to stay T3 but concerned we may be at the end of what a 76/64mm HX40 turbine can do for us, a larger turbine would be mandatory to support any additional compressor flow. I explored getting certain T04S/T04Z Garrett compressors machined to work with the HX40 turbine, but many of these wheels are sporting a 88mm exducer which didn't seem large enough to make the custom machining worthwhile.

Not long after I had started researching upgrade possibilities, Austin at Turbo Lab had pointed out to me that Kawasaki Turbo System introduced a billet 66mm HX40 compressor designed to be the largest available to fit behind a machined HX40 cover to their catalog. Of course this was right up my alley, although it doesn't exhibit a larger exducer like I had hoped....and it doesn't resolve the need for a larger turbine wheel as well.

Just in time for the start of the 2014 season, here's the next turbo Dave will be running...slated to be the first Holset turbocharger into the 8-second category around the globe. The car has gone a best of 9.12 and 158.5 mph with a standard 60/86mm 6-blade HX40, so improving on that time once this turbo is dialed in should be a walk in the park.

The turbo uses a KTS 66mm HX40 compressor wheel mated to a new Genuine Holset 76/67mm H1E turbine. It's big. This turbine wheel has a 3mm-larger exducer and also a taller tip height than a standard HX40 turbine....so the increased tip height and larger exducer spec will hopefully handle the additional airflow that the 10% larger compressor inducer will draw in. A new Genuine Holset turbine shaft, new Genuine internals, and a machined Genuine HX35 center housing and compressor cover....the only aftermarket parts are the new Bullseye turbine housing and the KTS compressor wheel.

As much as BAE likes to call their knockoff H2D with a HX50 compressor wheel the "HX45", this turbo is closer to being a HX45 than any other considering it's still built using HX40/H1E parts...not to mention the Holset HX35 is it's own turbo and doesn't have too large of a compressor on too small of a turbine like BAE's "HX45".

I did the research, tracked down the parts, built the turbo, and ported the turbine housing inlet; all machining credit goes to TurboLab, and the exceptional powdercoating job on the compressor cover is from Detective Coating....so this unit is basically a collaboration of individuals who got their start within our platform. If you guys are looking to get machining and powdercoating work done, definitely use one of these Freelancers/Vendors and support those who support our platform!

Without further adieu....

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

...and for those who may be concerned, the old 6-blade HX40 isn't being permanently retired just a tenth away from going 8's....Dave's just getting a bit frustrated waiting for perfect weather to get that perfect pass in. We need to get the new turbo and get a solid tune down before summer gets here so Dave can be a serious contender in some of the IFO events in PA, Maryland, and Ohio. Rest-assured the old HX40 will be going back on eventually....possibly toward the end of this season. ;)

man that thing is beautiful! I would dump my ex ol lady for something that looks that good

Looks beautiful, great work!

Really looking forward to seeing some results on this turbo.

Maybe by the end of season you and Dave could do a comparison test between this turbo and the other hx40?

Very cool setup!

Is the 76/67 turbine produced by Holset? Or is it an aftermarket upgrade? I've just never heard of an H1E wheel larger than 76/64. Then again, the "H1E" is a very strange group of turbos...

Very nice Justin! Can't wait to see what it can do. It sure is purdy with that purple powder coated compressor cover. :thumb: Nothing like a purple snail under the hood doing work IMHO. :p

Is the 76/67 turbine produced by Holset? Or is it an aftermarket upgrade? I've just never heard of an H1E wheel larger than 76/64.
It was used only on a specific line of H1E; not all H1E's use the 76/67 wheel. Part number is 3522880; features a 12mm tip height versus 10mm on the standard 76/64 turbine.

Love it! I'm currently building my talon which is gonna be powered by an hx40! Where and when are you guys going to be in ohio? I would love to come see you tear the track up!

That's pretty neat, but I kinda wish you would have kept the HX40 turbine to see how far that would go. I was working on a HX40 turbine in my HE351, but I think this is gonna be the new goto for going fast on the cheap...

Attachments

• 1653520_685345017014_1316404044_n.jpg
    1653520_685345017014_1316404044_n.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 311
And thats how you build a badass turbo....love the collaboration you guys put to get this done...very well done.

Just saw a few minutes ago where Detective Coating posted a pic of the compressor housing on Facebook. Small world.

Just saw a few minutes ago where Detective Coating posted a pic of the compressor housing on Facebook. Small world.
Trust me- the camera does this color no justice....it's probably the brightest purple I've ever seen. Goes along with the rest of the engine bay is the only reason it was done in this color specifically.

hummmmmm sweet! Something to look forward to. I wonder what spool is gonna be like? Maybe I'll try this out one of these days instead of going FP. We'll see

Good luck dave!

Turbo looks beautiful justin.

Can't find anything on the net about this compressor? Link? KTS's website is garbage. Damn Malaysians.. Lol

Last edited:
Whats the color name of that purple. Looks identical to my Lolipop grape on my powder coating.
Turbo looks promising.

Hopefully more 8's than busting....amirite? :p

Mi"sma;153419540 said:
Justin,

Could you share a part number on this wheel?
Part number on the box it came in was MFS4031C; I could verify this is correct by checking the number that is engraved on the nose of the compressor wheel, but the turbo is no longer in my possession.

Hopefully more 8's than busting....amirite? :p

Part number on the box it came in was MFS4031C; I could verify this is correct by checking the number that is engraved on the nose of the compressor wheel, but the turbo is no longer in my possession.

Where did you buy it from? Google has no idea about that part number in regards to holset compressors. Can you pm me the link?

I'd try this compressor with the standard hx40 turbine just to see what sort of power this wheel was intended for with the hx40

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back