The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Surface Rust On Valves

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyline-Tweak

Proven Member
Nov 11, 2012
Kunkletown, Pennsylvania
So my friend and I went out to an auto-salvage yard and found a new head with valves that were good (I bent mine), only we have had some winter weather here. When we pulled the head there was some ice in the intake port on the 1st cylinder. It was frozen in the head. So we laid it sideways in the car so it would pour out when it melted. Got home and bought it inside. The next day we went and put it on the block. When we were about to do the intake manifold, my friend had realized there was some rust from the ice. Does anyone know a way to get this off? I had the idea of a small dremel with a wire wheel then use the air compressor to blow it out. Someone told me something about if I spray RustOleum in there it would take care of it but I don't know about that...

Attachments

• 20141217_151306.jpeg
    20141217_151306.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 564
Subbed, I'm curious as well. I would imagine that if it is indeed surface rust that it would end up coming off as soon as you start running the car.

Scotch bright. I wouldn't use a wire wheel. Check and make sure the valves still seal. If the rust is so bad you need a wire wheel, pitting is almost guaranteed.

Good Old Fashion WD40!
Will also help loosen any valves that might be sticking or stuck!

Be warned, that since you pulled the head, and it seems like no work has been done to it by a machine shop..
You might have a warped head that may not seal properly.

Did you pull any bearings to check the cam surfaces?

Ok, from experience....I used a set of heads on a SBC before I went to this platform and they had some rust on the valves but not bad and had a fresh valve job but had sit for a while in a loft in a garage. In about 5000 miles the rust that I didn't see (on the stem where it JUST enters the head and couldn't clean it anyway without removing the valve) was just enough to weaken the valve stem and we broke that valve off while running the car leaving a BIG smiley face hole in the piston, so just be aware that surface rust could lead to a failure down the road. I don't want to scare you, but this very thing has happened to me so I wanted to chime in and tell you about our bad experience. It may be fine, but just be aware of this issue! It's not fun to tear down an engine that this happens to. :thumb:

Only way in my humble opinion is to just take the head to a shop and have them check for straightness, and replace valve seals. Unless you want to chance a bent head with leaking valves and lots of headache. It cost me $200 to resurface the head, clean valves and change valve seals, well worth the money.

I have a service manual and the Haynes manual the head war page limit was .001 and we took a straight edge ruler and feeler gauge at that limit. Did an "X" over each cylinder checking all 4 corners of all 4 cylinders. Then went and checked the small gap between the cylinders. Everything checked out. The valves aren't rusted on the stem or in the guides or even on the flat surface underneath. The problem is that we just put on a new head gasket and locktite and torqued a bunch of stuff. We even did the timing beautifully. I just don't wanna take it apart again. It was at a shop and they told me my car is a worthless hunk of garbage and they refused to work on it. The other problem is there's no machine shop that does automotive around here because of the "liability" they say. I just want this damn thing to run and run right..

We've also pulled this motor over 15 times in the past year. 4 in one day. So doing it again wouldn't be a problem.

At the very least, I would take the head apart and clean it up, maybe new seal and lap the valves. All that work whats a little more for peace of mind. When I did mine, for the head, I cemented sand paper on a big chunk of glass and put the head to it. Not that mine was warped but it worked pretty slick

That looks like water sat there for a long time. I wouldn't risk it, the seat is probably pitted, take it apart and inspect it, wire wheel is fine for cleaning the valves.

Took it apart. Cleaned it up. Bought new valves and put it back together. My car runs right now just fine. Thank you guys! It's a post Christmas miracle!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back