The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Sponsorship 2nd Race Greg Collier

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Collier

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 8, 2003
Diego, California
NASA PRO-RACING BUTTONWILLOW RACE PARK

(APRIL 9-10) DAY 1

It was 8:30 Friday morning and the truck was packed, the racecar on the trailer and we were off to Buttonwillow from San Diego. They predicted 20% chance of drizzle but it was a beautiful sunny day. We hit some slow moving traffic in LA but by 11:30 it was clear sailing up the Grape Vine to 5000 feet. Once we hit the top of the mountain all you could see below were dark billowing rain clouds. My heart sank as I realized I didn’t remember to pack the rain tires.

1:30 in the afternoon and we arrived at a blistery cold and wet racetrack. It wasn’t raining at the moment but who knew what was going to happen next in sunny California now-a days. We unloaded the car, toolboxes, spare parts, tires, (not rain tires), and all the other odds and ends you need for race day. Just when I parked the truck it started to rain. I mean I don’t even have wipers on the car, just a plastic jar of Rain-X. Cars had been testing there all morning in and out of the rain showers. Bright and shiny racecars had mud all over them from off track excursions, and the usual smiles that generally beamed over race weekend were looks of concern and some outright pissed off expressions.

We took the two front wheels off the car for new Hoosiers to be applied at the racetrack tire shop. We filled the 5-gal jugs with race fuel and went down the list checking the car for Saturday’s battle. By the time we were settled in, there was no time for testing, but I didn’t need no stinking testing.

7:00 Saturday morning we left the hotel in the rain on our way out to the track. It didn’t seem that wet once we got there so I was a little hopeful. It was about 45 degrees and skies were pitch black but everyone went on with business as usual. Our warm up session was scheduled for 9 AM which gave me plenty of time to get my tech book signed off and my windshield sticker so I’m allowed on the track.

9 AM and I’m strapped in my car on grid waiting for my warm up laps. Since I’m running two new Hoosier tires I need to break them in like you would when you’re embedding your brake pads. The plan is to take a couple of easy warm up laps then a couple of faster laps to heat up the tires to race temperature. Once you’ve done that, you park the car and let the tires cool down to ambient temps. To do it correctly you should let the tires sit for 24 hours before you use them again, but my tire budget doesn’t give me that luxury. I’m finishing up my fifth lap before I’m going to bring the car in. I’ve just come off the front straight through turn one to a buttonhook (they call it "off ramp" on the track map) and the car spins out of control. I think, "The track’s cold, I braked too late, ya-da ya-da, I’ll bring the car in and chill." I finished the lap and drove the car into the garage and lifted the front end. I checked the new front tires and everything looked fine. Best of all I thought, "No rain!"

11:25 AM and it’s time for race qualifying. There’s not a drop of rain and it’s probably about 55 degrees and I’m ready to rock-en roll. I’m out on the track with about twenty five Honda Cup cars made up of Hondas and Acuras, a half dozen SER Nissans and another half dozen cars in my Super Unlimited class. We had the Axxis twin turbo Nissan Z, Bobby Labonte’s old 500 HP NASCAR, Grand-AM fully built BMW, Mazda RX7 turbo, and a supercharged totally built Mazda Miata.

I take my first lap pretty conservative to get my tires up to temp. I start pushing down the front straight on my second lap, hit turn one perfect, come up to the buttonhook ("off ramp") and I spin out. What the hell! I get the car turned around and I’m off again pushing, braking, feathering the accelerator through a wide sweeper called Talladega (called Riverside on the track map). Talladega is a 150 MPH power drift that takes you up to a turn called Magic Mountain ("lost hill" on the track map) where you get a little air going over the top then down onto a left hand bank, then quick right then left down a small straight. All is good until I hit this little sweeper that brings you onto a series of S’s. I didn’t go out wide enough and the first apex of the S’s came up real quick. I’m going back and forth and back and forth and almost lose control of the car but I catch it! Then it’s down another straight to a hard, and I mean hard, left-hander onto the long front straight. All is well and I’m pedal to the metal down the front straight, brake a hard left hander on turn one, sweep out to the right then pull to left, apply brakes before the little buttonhook ("off ramp"), and spin out. What the? To make a long story longer I must have spun out there four or five times. I brought the car back to the garage, lifted the front end and the tires were fine. We had a driver’s meeting and it’s two hours until the race. I thought to myself, "I should check my rear tires." A fellow racer came up to me and asked about my spinouts. I said, "I guess I’m braking too late." He said, "Maybe it’s your tire pressures, you know the track is really cold." I thought, "That’s got to be it," so I took 3 pounds of air out of each tire.

3:05 PM it’s cloudy, breezy, and cold. Race time and Super Unlimited is driving onto the track for our warm up lap. The Axxis Nissan had pole but he was still putting on his helmet when we were waved onto the track. That meant he was held and had to start in the back of the group. You snooze you loose in racing. That means the super charged Miata had pole and for the life of me I had qualified 3rd and now I was along side the Miata in 2nd for the start. "It’s time for some major break away power," I thought to myself, so I pushed my boost controller to high boost. We were going pretty slowly so I was in second gear. I guess the Miata guy had never taken pole before. Green, green, green, I hear in my earphones and accelerated like frigg-en John Shepherd. I must have been 10 car lengths ahead of everybody by the first turn. I braked perfect and made turn one easy and I came up to the small buttonhook ("off ramp), and I spun out. Everybody had plenty of time to see me so they all drove around me with no problem. I gassed my car and spun around and flop-flop fizz-fizz I had two rear flat spotted tires and it was like I was driving on a big rubber square. As I accelerated it got worse and worse. I made it back to the paddock and DNF’d. (DID NOT FINISH THE RACE!)

Back in the garage I checked the rear tires to see the worst crappiest excuse for tires that there is. Why I didn’t check them when I thought about it is probably the stupidest thing I could have done. Not only did it cost me a possible 1st place, I get absolutely no points for the race. What a big waste of time! Spilt milk

NASA PRO-RACING BUTTONWILLOW RACE PARK

(APRIL 10) DAY 2

Sunday morning came and the birds were singing and the sun was shinning. I had new Hoosiers on the back of the car and just finished my warm up laps breaking in the rear tires like I’d done to the fronts the day before. Everybody at the track had ear-to ear grins and the smells of race gas, fresh brake pads, and smoking tires permeated the air like a sweet fragrance. It’s race day and we’re all happier than snot!

11:25 AM and I’m ready to qualify. A field of 40 cars is on the track and my tires are hot and sticking like I’ve become one with the track. I begin passing everything in sight, on the right, on the left, through the turns, on the inside apex of that damn little buttonhook ("off ramp") that I’d spun out on so many times the day before, on the front straight, I feel invincible and the car is performing fantastic.

3:05 PM and I’m sitting in grid with the other Super Unlimited cars waiting to go out onto the track. It’s warm today so I’m getting a little uncomfortable in my driving suit, shoes, gloves, helmet, Hans device, and earphones crammed in my ears. The grid marshal holds up three fingers showing three minutes until track time and everybody starts their engines. I qualified second next to the 500 HP NASCAR and when he started his motor his exhaust began blowing right into my face. My wife had a radio head set on so I asked her to stand in front of my window and shield some of the fumes.

We get the heads up and we pull out onto the track. We begin scrubbing our tires and speeding up and braking hard to build up some heat in our tires during our warm up lap. We make it to the small back straight, turn left onto the front straight and form a tight pack of cars. The whole time I’m looking up at the starter, waiting for him to wave the green flag but he’s got his head pointed in the opposite direction. We’re about 50 feet from the starter’s platform, almost in the middle of the front straight when the starter looks in our direction with a startled expression on his face. It was like he didn’t know we were coming. He grabbed the green flag and almost dropped it to the ground and we were off. In a roar of carbon monoxide we came up on turn one. The NASCAR had the inside so I let him go. I accelerated up on his butt about a foot away and we went through the buttonhook like I was attached to him with a trailer hitch. We blew down a short straight to a quick right then left hander, then another quick sweeping right, then a straight to what’s called the "bus stop", which is a left handed straight to a quick left right onto the long "Talladega" sweeper. Another slight left-hander and you brake hard, then right over "Magic Mountain". It’s so cool to watch a train of cars fly over Magic Mountain landing left, correcting right, turning left down a straight onto a small hard right sweeper until you hit the S’s, right, left, right, left, right, left, right, left on another straight before an ass busting brake locking left hander onto the big front straight. The course is really technical and that’s what makes it a blast…

Our Super Unlimited pack did two complete laps in perfect harmony. On the third lap at my favorite turn, yes the little buttonhook ("off ramp"), I missed a shift and two cars in my class passed me. Damn! Now its catch up time. I lost my momentum so they started to pull out. I’m on the beginning of Talladega when I notice clouds of dirt blowing across the track. Then I see dirt, gravel, the front valance of a car, then other miscellaneous car parts all over the track. I knew if I braked I’d go sliding, so I just feathered the pedal and made it through. I could see my run group slowing in front of me, and then I saw the pace car in front of them. "Sweet", I thought to myself. There were three Nissans and a Honda, then the three guys in my group behind the pace car. I pulled in behind, then the pace car began waving them on one at a time. The Nissans and the Honda pulled far enough out to block the Super Unlimited group. When we made it to the front straight everybody in my group was able to pass them except me, right at turn one. Now I’ve got four cars to pass before I can catch up to my group. Here I was in second place and now I’m in fourth because I missed a shift, and on top of that I’ve got four cars to pass on this technical track before I can even reach them. Boda Bing! Boost 2 is on and I’m pushing, shifting, braking, heel toeing, accelerating, braking. I mean I was like a drummer with a full double bass kit and every muscle of my body was doing something different all at the same time. Oh yeah, I had to remember to breathe at the same time too. I have a video of the entire race and it looks to me like one of the Nissan guys, who’s not in my class, was blocking me. "Eat sh#t" as I passed him over Magic Mountain. Then the next three cars became only a faint memory. I saw the Super Unlimited RX7 turbo and pushed that much harder. I looked down at my EGT gauge and I swear it was doing circles. When I get my sights on somebody, that’s a real motivator for me. I caught up to the RX7 and passed him just before turn one on the front straight. Then I saw the Dodge turbo SRT and it was going to be his turn next, when I saw a corner worker swinging a black flag. A BLACK FLAG? Then I saw another black flag at the next corner worker station and then another. Then I realized the race had been black-flagged and was being stopped. I was pissed! There were still fifteen minutes of race time left and the race had been stopped because of a half dozen serious accidents by the Honda and Nissan guys. As I finished my cool down lap I could see cars off the track all over the place. My adrenalin was pumping like an oil well and I never saw the checkered flag. I took 3rd place in class and have no idea how I did overall. I’ll just have to wait and see what the official results are.

According to the race director, even though the race was prematurely ended, I’ll still receive my points and third place finish. We loaded up the truck, trailered the racecar and drove back to San Diego in four hours. Thank God there wasn’t any traffic on Sunday night…

However upset I may have been, it’s still the greatest thing in the world to be upset with. It’s also a lot easier to be mad at something else than yourself…

- Greg

And yes it looks like I burnt my EGT probe!

Just so people can visualize - the track was run clockwise for this race:

Attachments

• race_13_config.gif
    race_13_config.gif
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,749
Awesome! your stories rock man I feel like im driving your racecars! I kept getting pissed everytime you spun out! LOL :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

JessesTalon said:
Awesome! your stories rock man I feel like im driving your racecars! I kept getting pissed everytime you spun out! LOL :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

It was definitely frustrating and my own dam fault. You'd think I would know better by now huh? :barf:

Thanks
Greg

Cool pictures from my better half...................

Attachments

• PICT00100a.JPG
    PICT00100a.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,927
  • PICT00101a.JPG
    PICT00101a.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,859
  • PICT00102a.JPG
    PICT00102a.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 1,686
  • PICT00104a.JPG
    PICT00104a.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 1,677
  • PICT00105a.JPG
    PICT00105a.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,637
More pictures.....

Attachments

• PICT00109a.JPG
    PICT00109a.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,700
  • PICT00108a.JPG
    PICT00108a.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,569
  • PICT00107a.JPG
    PICT00107a.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,720
  • PICT00106a.JPG
    PICT00106a.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,610
  • PICT00103a.JPG
    PICT00103a.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,635
Final pictures...

Attachments

• PICT00110a.JPG
    PICT00110a.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,538
  • PICT00111a.JPG
    PICT00111a.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,527
Great story yet again :thumb:
You sure are earning that sponsorship LOL!

2gGSX said:
Great story yet again :thumb:
You sure are earning that sponsorship LOL!

Now if I could only EARN a "WIN" on the track I'd really be happy.

Thanks again ROFL

Greg

Greg great write up! You give me lots of ideas when I do mine for evotuners.net
Your stories are very well written and thought out. I know I have a hard enough time remembering everything I did at my auto-x's and you remember all this while doing 150mph!!!!!!
The off ramp looks very difficult I can see why you had trouble with it. But it shows how good you are when you were able to figure out what was wrong and fix the problem. Nicely done!!
I look forward to hearing another story of yours again. Keep up the good work, you make us all proud. And good luck in the points race this year.

Liam

Go Greg!!!

I dont wnat to jack the thread but i have a few Q's?

1. How did u get started?
2. Do u have a "normal" job to? :D
3. how much does that wing actually help, the reson i ask is becase most of the cars in those pics didnt have them?

4. WIll you please come and race on VIR? PULEASEEEEE

3.27 Miles of high speed goodness.:rocks: :rocks:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

ldstang50 said:
Greg great write up! You give me lots of ideas when I do mine for evotuners.net
Your stories are very well written and thought out. I know I have a hard enough time remembering everything I did at my auto-x's and you remember all this while doing 150mph!!!!!!
The off ramp looks very difficult I can see why you had trouble with it. But it shows how good you are when you were able to figure out what was wrong and fix the problem. Nicely done!!
I look forward to hearing another story of yours again. Keep up the good work, you make us all proud. And good luck in the points race this year.

Liam

Thanks for the support. What kind of a thing are you doing with evotuners.net? That's fantastic that other sites are making these kinds of things happen. People get to see that you don't have to be rich or a professional race car driver to be involved in racing. When you do your write up let me know, I'd like to see it :thumb:

Greg

Royalty said:
Go Greg!!!

I dont wnat to jack the thread but i have a few Q's?

1. How did u get started?
2. Do u have a "normal" job to? :D
3. how much does that wing actually help, the reson i ask is becase most of the cars in those pics didnt have them?

4. WIll you please come and race on VIR? PULEASEEEEE

3.27 Miles of high speed goodness.:rocks: :rocks:

Believe it or not I raced Porsche's 30 years ago. I en do-ed a 3.0 911SC 13 times at Riverside Raceway (that's prior to Calif Speedway) and my future wife said it's me or the racing. She had much better lines then the car, but I got kicked off the team anyway for destroying the car so it was a no brainer. About 4 years ago I decided to build a car with my son for auto-xing. He was driving a FWD Talon at the time and said we should get something like his car because of the turbo. We did and I was hooked. I auto-xed for about a year and a half until one day I ran a track day at Willow Springs. I was hooked again. My wife was a bit upset at first but she saw how happy and excited it made me so she said go for it. She's really cool and one in a million!

Yes I have a regular job that I have to do everyday that has nothing to do with racing and it's totally boring because I've been doing it for so long that I don't want to talk about it :boring:

The cars you see in the pictures are in the H-4 Honda Cup series that don't have the horsepower to need a wing. There were 4 different series that were running together that day. If you look at the pictures from my last race you'll see all the big HP cars with wings to help keep the rear end down at high speeds.

I would love to run VIR and will be there in a heartbeat if you will sponsor all the costs involved :thumb:

Thank you for your interest and I hope I answered your questions.....

Greg

Great work Greg!! :rocks: :thumb:

I have a few questions:

1. Whats your average speed through the track?

2. Whats your average speed on the straigt aways?

3. Whats the fastest you've ever taken a corner at, and how many degrees was the turn?

4. Being that your awd and you also raced rwd, which is optimal? Is the awd that much more benifical though the turns then a properly set up rwd would be?

5. Have you ever gotten to top speed in the talon in a stright? If so, what was it?

Thanks,
Pianoman.

P.S. I like the all yellow car, with the red tails. Looks better IMO.

pianoman said:
Great work Greg!! :rocks: :thumb:

I have a few questions:

1. Whats your average speed through the track?

At Buttonwillow average speed was 75 to 78

2. Whats your average speed on the straigt aways?

It depends on the straight. The big sweeper "Taladega" turn about 150. The front straight about 125.

3. Whats the fastest you've ever taken a corner at, and how many degrees was the turn?

I don't look at corner speed because I'm to busy watching what I'm doing.

4. Being that your awd and you also raced rwd, which is optimal? Is the awd that much more benifical though the turns then a properly set up rwd would be?

My car is front wheel drive. I had a Dodge Stealth R/T twin turbo AWD and felt limited with what I could do with the car, I like to throw the car into the turns. Everybody I know says they'd prefer AWD because of the traction (the car does the work)
It took me a long time to learn how to drive a FWD being RWD oriented. I've learned you need to drive from the back of the drivers door forward and forget about the rear end. I like the fact that anytime I fell like I'm losing control all I have to do is excellerate and the car rights itself. (My LSD helps with that!)

5. Have you ever gotten to top speed in the talon in a stright? If so, what was it?

My race car is a Laser (I have a Talon and an Eclipse that I'm currently building too) My speedo, which is still hooked up only goes to 150 but I've been clocked at 175 ROFL ROFL

Thanks,
Pianoman.

P.S. I like the all yellow car, with the red tails. Looks better IMO.

Everybody likes the yellow much better......
Greg

Greg Collier said:
Thanks for the support. What kind of a thing are you doing with evotuners.net? That's fantastic that other sites are making these kinds of things happen. People get to see that you don't have to be rich or a professional race car driver to be involved in racing. When you do your write up let me know, I'd like to see it :thumb:

Greg

http://evotuners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=410
Greg, above is a link to my first article for the year. I actually wrote it up before Kris contacted me about the sponsorship. I think its great that he and the tuner forums are helping all of us out.
I'm running auto-x for a start up club called Capital Driving Club. As you can see my first outing this year wasnt' that good I only placed 9th out of 50+cars. I usually am in the top 5. The cars in front of me are usually on full suspension and tire set ups. Not taking anything away from their driving skills, but man do those cars stick!
Right now I wish I was rich! I'm pretty sure you can agree with me on this.

ldstang50 said:
http://evotuners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=410
Greg, above is a link to my first article for the year. I actually wrote it up before Kris contacted me about the sponsorship. I think its great that he and the tuner forums are helping all of us out.
I'm running auto-x for a start up club called Capital Driving Club. As you can see my first outing this year wasnt' that good I only placed 9th out of 50+cars. I usually am in the top 5. The cars in front of me are usually on full suspension and tire set ups. Not taking anything away from their driving skills, but man do those cars stick!
Right now I wish I was rich! I'm pretty sure you can agree with me on this.

Great commentary! Hows your car doing? I know what a pain in the but it can be when you have mechanical problems on a run. You put so much energy out and have the anticipation of getting your car out there then something happens, what a drag...
Keep up the good work and RACE ON DUDE :thumb:

Greg

Well the engine is out now. The tranny is off at shep. The head will be sent out on Monday to be bowled and decked. My valve train should be here at the end of the week, dual vavle springs, seats, locks, retainers and guides.
The block needs to be inspected before I do anything. Since its already out I want to put in forged pistons and rods.
My clutch was also shot, something I did not expect. So I have to make room for that in my budget. She'll get done and be stronger than ever. The great thing is I got my first tunable software so I'll be able to learn and tune my car. The first tune will be done my professionals teaching me what to do. Then I'll start taking over. I picked up a TurboXS UTEC. The EMS is just way to advnaced for me right now. Plus TurboXS will be coming out with a standalone that can wire into the UTEC in about 6mos. That will be real nice, no more MAF!

Greg - GREAT write up once again man. Sounds like you would have had a shot at the win if you had not missed that one shift. Keep it up and Im sure you will get that win very soon. Good luck with the next event and keep up the GREAT write ups for us.

tsiboosted said:
Greg - GREAT write up once again man. Sounds like you would have had a shot at the win if you had not missed that one shift. Keep it up and Im sure you will get that win very soon. Good luck with the next event and keep up the GREAT write ups for us.

Thanks for your positive attitude I need all the help that I can get :thumb:

Greg

No problem man. I am keeping up with you on the NASA website. I see you are sitting atop the Super Unlimited class, not by much but that 45 I think it was hurt you. Other than that you look AWESOME man. I know you will get a win soon. Just keep doing what you are doing and it will come. Just dont miss anymore gears... :D :D ...Joking man...

wow is this you

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

your older than i thought (maby becaus im only 16)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back