The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

PR FMIC t bolt clamps popping. what the hell

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spic21

10+ Year Contributor
May 14, 2010
albany, Louisiana
i installed my PR FMIC and now the t bolt clamps are poping( breaking at the two loops that bolt is in). whats going on here . there not poping while tighting, they have been on there 2 weeks and im not even driving the car. and have only started it 2-3 times. ive had 4 pop already. ill be sitting in garage and hear a loud pop sound, go look and clamp will be sitting there broken. i have one that one side has popped so guess other is soon to come. are they to tight or something, didnt feel like they were.

I've had mine for like 8 months (tight as fvck) and no popping for me. Have also held 26 psi with no boost leaks either.

guess there to tight then. i didnt put the strong arm on them but guess it was to much. thanks what i wanted to know. ive never had a clamp pop, ever. not even those cheapy ones from parts store. thought maybe a got a bad batch. but guess ill tighten less on new ones i buy.

Thats what you get with the chinese t-bolts that come with the pr kit, try to tighten them just enough so they dont leak but without breaking them. I've had a few snap on me too.

x2 on user error, don't be super intense with the tightening. I've never had my t bolt clamps pop off, there tight as hell and never broken any. Just be cautious LOL. Shit happens.

If you have a way to do a BLT do one after tightening them down an check for leaks and adjust your Clamps accordingly...

I had one pop on me tryin to get it to stop leaking. It seems like the spot welds that hold it together aren't to good because they just popped apart like it was nothing. I was using a 1/4" ratchet and wasn't using alot of force with it either.

Post a pic. I just want to see one failed.

I've overtightened a few over the years. I've accidentally gone as far as stripping the threads out of the nut and crushing the aluminum pipe inside the clamp, and I've still never had a clamp fail. Maybe they were from a bad batch? Crappy spot welds could definitely fail.

ill get a pic tonight for ya. like i said early they didnt even pop when tightening. i wasnt even around them i just heard them pop when i was sitting in car. all in same place, in the eye loops where the t-bolt sits. i went to store here that sell them and they said they have never seen it. does make me feel a little better that its happen to others and not just me, i really believe there just cheaply made but that just my opinion

I tighten the t-bolt clamps on my ETS kit with an electric impact. Put "common sense" tight, I've never had a problem with them being too loose and causing a boost leak or being too tight and breaking or crushing a pipe. Most good quality t-bolt clamps have a nylon locker on the nut, so they don't back themselves off.

Here's two. They all broke in same place. Second one is worst of four.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Thats actually kind of strange. My old DSM had the PR FMIC and I saw nothing like this

That seems defective to me; I've never seen or heard of clamps just snapping like that weeks after they were installed. Change them all out with something decent like Clampco ones.

Just an FYI, my SMIC kit clamps from PR broke (most of them) too.

I really don't believe they were over tighten. If that was the case I believe they should have broke then. I haven't even driven the car since the install. But whatever doesn't really matter I guess. I bought new clamps for one ones that broke. And there is on on there that one side is broke that I will replace as well. Then I'll do them as they break if it keeps happening. Only really crappy thing is there about 5 bucks a piece to replace

Mine are tight with no boost leak. Maybe you got some crappy clamps.

yea i will change all of them some day, but right now ive been focused on a tranny leak. So for now they are on back burner till i get it fixed.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back