The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Resolved Oil cooler suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whats the safe zone for a turbo 4g63?
Its not just 4G63 but any oil in any car. Oil has a temp limit and you dont want to go over that limit as it will breakdown and not be good as its job. Oil structure and quality plays a role and its why good oil is needed to stop this from happened normally. So what ever oil you are using read the data sheet (as all oil have one) and know the limits of that oil and grade. Knowing this gives you key advice of what to do, the interwebs will guide you but the data sheet with tell you exactly what you need to do and where to head towards and you can build to suit.

Also are you logging oil temps now on your car?

Its not just 4G63 but any oil in any car. Oil has a temp limit and you dont want to go over that limit as it will breakdown and not be good as its job. Oil structure and quality plays a role and its why good oil is needed to stop this from happened normally. So what ever oil you are using read the data sheet (as all oil have one) and know the limits of that oil and grade. Knowing this gives you key advice of what to do, the interwebs will guide you but the data sheet with tell you exactly what you need to do and where to head towards and you can build to suit.

Also are you logging oil temps now on your car?
Great advice and will look into the valvoline vr1 data sheet. Currently im not monitoring oil temp. My next steps for the car was ecm link and some gauges. Car has been sitting for 12 years and just put the first 1k miles on it after the rebuild.

For regular street use I would expect the oil temp to not exceed much more than 20 degrees higher than the coolant.

From past experience it seems the oil temp parallels coolant roughly -10 degrees until operating temp as been reached. After I would expect it to be to the same as coolant for a daily driver with a spirited driver for the most part. Maybe 10-15 higher but much more than 20 I would be concerned.

FWIW these are just my experiences with logging temps. I have no fancy data or fancy lingo to make it seem like I’m more intelligent than I actually am.

Last time I noticed my oil temp seemed hotter than usual I ignored it and chalked it up to the weather or this that and the other thing. I spun a balance shaft bearing shortly after. Maybe a coincidence or maybe not.

Since, I switched to evo3 ofh with an external cooler mounted with the intercooler

-Daniel

Great advice and will look into the valvoline vr1 data sheet. Currently im not monitoring oil temp. My next steps for the car was ecm link and some gauges. Car has been sitting for 12 years and just put the first 1k miles on it after the rebuild.
The oil data sheets won't tell you what temperature is ideal or even tell you an ideal range for oil temps.
What they will all give you is the oil's viscosity in centistokes (cSt) at 100 deg C and at 40 deg C. (212 deg F and 104 deg F)
The vis at 212 deg is given because that is somewhere around the high end of "normal" operating range.

Oil heats up a lot as it goes through a bearing.
HTHS viscosity is given at 150 deg C (302 deg F). That is an attempt to rate the oil at the temps reached inside a bearing or at the piston rings.

Here I've posted pdf's of 4 oil data sheets. I've put them kind of in order from most informative to least informative.
Penn Grade 1 (Brad Penn)
RedLine 20w50
Valvoline VR1 20w50 synthetic
Valvoline VR1 20w50 conventional

Attachments

• PennGrade-1-Partial-SyntheticMultiGrade-High-Performance-Oils-2019.pdf
    183.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Redline 20W50_motor oil_PROD_INFO.pdf
    282.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Valvoline VR1 20W50 Synthetic Racing Engine Oil - product information dated March 2023.pdf
    424.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Valvoline VR1 20W50 Conventional Racing Engine Oil - product information dated March 2023 - ...pdf
    426.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back