The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

My Story

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Peepers

DSM Wiseman
Oct 16, 2005
Janesville, Wisconsin
Some history:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

'91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 5 spd that I've had since '06. Drove it back and forth in college about 200 miles round trip on the weekends etc. Got it pretty much stock besides a 3" turbo back exhaust and manual boost controller at 15 psi. Some college friends invited me out to the track and it ran a [email protected]mph.

I've been hooked with drag racing as a way to track my progress ever since. Drove it until the balance shaft bearing spun, then it sat for a good 2 years before I had the funds and ambition to start on it again.

Ended up doing a stock rebuild while it was out. .020" bore and hone, a set of NPR(OEM) pistons from Ebay for 90 bucks shipped, and a Partsdinosaur full gasket kit and bearings. Removed the balance shafts and did a little blending to the head while it was apart, along with some portwork on the stock cast exhaust bits. Budget build :) Got it down to 3050 with me in it and full interior.

First start up was New Year's day, 2009.

2009:

By the time the track opened up in the spring it got an evo3 16g, larger side mount intercooler, 880cc injectors, 255 walbro, SAFC for tuning(still no wideband OMG), HKS 264/272 cams, and switched to e85. Swapped out the stock headbolts for some ARP studs after pushing some coolant. Ran an 11.8@119 with a slipping clutch.
Video:
Peepers 11.8 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I swapped to my friends 6 puck clutch and ran [email protected] on the stock 14b turbo with the same setup as the 16g. 1.69 60' on all season tires :) Didn't get it on video. Ended up breaking the 3-4 shift fork the next pass trying to eek out the last .005 seconds. Turns out the roll pin holding the fork was halfway backed out in the first place. Made little over 300whp and 315tq on a dynojet if I remember right.
Peeper's Dyno Run | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

2010:

Made more changes and went back to the evo3 16g. Went with an actual tuning program instead of a piggy back and got an LC-1 wideband. Jackal speed density with a 3 bar map sensor and 3/8" NPT IAT. Runs through an Ostrich. Set up no lift to shift and 2-step. Also finally ditched the sidemount intercooler to an old top to bottom core that I modified a bit to fit and ran some piping. Trans refreshed by Tim Zimmer while he walked me through the entire process. Awesome day! Ended up buying his old full face Kevlar clutch disc(south bend clutch) to replace the 6 puck.

Made ONE pass on my friends hoosiers(QTP's) and cut a high 1.5 60' on the original 3 bolt rear end! [email protected]mph on an evo3 16g. I immediately drove back home in fear of getting greedy and breaking something.
Video:
YouTube - ‪Mr. Peepers 11.2 @ 123.5 on a Big16G at GLD‬‏
I was a little excited :p

Got sick of the 16g power level and found a 7 blade hx35 at a local junkyard. I wanted to make my own manifold for a long time and decided to utilize the twin scroll turbine housing. Gathered up some mild steel weld els and got the MIG welder out.

Spools extremely well with the stock twin scroll 12cm^2 turbine housing for its size on a 7.8:1 compression 2 liter.

Basic run down in each gear(psi vs rpm) rounded to the nearest .5psi and 50 rpm
3rd:
5---2500
10--2900
15--3150
20--3250
25--3400

4th
5---2350
10--2650
15--2800
20--3000
25--3100

In car video before I welded the wastegate provisions:
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4y136gTJ7jY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Threw some 1000cc injectors in it and set the boost to 25 psi. Ran 11.2@129 at the Shoot Out on street tires on essentially the same setup as the 16g besides the manifold and downpipe obviously. Made 494whp and 471tq on a dynojet later that year with about 30 psi and 1200cc injectors. I have a feeling the 264 intake cam was holding it back a little:

(SAE is a more conservative correction factor, but I don't have another graph to post)

2011:

This season I snagged a 272 regrind intake cam and threw it in along with some springs and retainers. Rev limit set at 8k mostly for first gear. Drove to the local track last weekend on opening day and clicked off a [email protected] at 28psi on street tires with a horrid 1.83 60' ;D
For some reason the boost wasn't at it's usual 30 psi but I'm not complaining. Maybe the warmer(vs winter) weather? *shrug*
Video:
mattstensecrun.mp4 video by mrpeepers422 - Photobucket

Drove it to GLD the next week and threw my buddy's QTP's on. Track wouldn't hold, but still got a new personal best. [email protected] with a 1.74 60' and 30psi
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/j72bbMy4Wu0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Made 511/469@30psi exactly how I drive it to work every day :p The other graph is last year's 264/272 setup; the only change is the intake cam.
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gK4NSpdFZJ8?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gK4NSpdFZJ8?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Still my daily driver on the same stock rebuild from 2-1/2 years ago. Stock bottom end, stock headgasket, stock intake manifold, all season street tires, 3 bolt rear end, and an overworked single 255 fuel pump on e85 :p

Just a couple weeks ago I sheared 4th gear during a log. I've been wanting to swap everything over to the auto shell for a while now and this is a pretty big push to do so. Engine and trans came out last weekend. Engine will get new rod bearings and go into the auto shell along with a stock auto trans so I don't have to worry about breaking anything in and can focus on getting everything fabricated first(exhaust sits different with auto mounts, IC piping to clear the PRNDL etc). Hoping to find ambition soon.

Last edited:
Very impressive man!! I am liking it alot. I am very impressed with the manifold too, doesnt look too bad and seems to function quite well! Keep it up! Storys like this keep me excited and on the ball to getting mine buttoned up and finished! Nice job!

Very nice! Exactly what I'm looking to do.

Thanks! :)

I'm definitely looking forward to going auto and have been for a while. A nice change of pace...

wow very nice thread man! loving the car all around. looks like you made some pretty decent numbers even on the 14b. shoot me a p.m. i dont want to jack your thread but i have a few questions for you about some of your setups if you don't mind.

That was a great read! Thanks for sharing. I'm astonished at how clean everything is kept. Not just dirt and grime, but the bay design looks very neat and well thought out.

Good job sir :thumb:

Nice story matt! I wouldn't go auto if I were you they suck! :)

Yes, but with Kenny's (KP116) old 6 puck ACT disc since mine had cracked in multiple spots and was causing high rpm shifting issues. I have a feeling the clutch didn't help, although it broke near the top of 4th gear, not while shifting into it.

that video has been an inspiration for me to pursue a twin scroll hx-35

how hard was it to make the manifold? how's it holding up?

I asked him to help me build a manifold this fall and he told me "Ill never make another manifold again!!!" Mean ass! :p

Miss my 1G, Exhaust and MBC runs like the car has demons in em..

Last two 2G's way more mods does not seem no where near those 1/4 mile numbers..

Great Progress btw!!!

Manifold is holding up great but it was a PITA to make. I would really have to have a lot of free time on my hands to make another and it would be really difficult for me to put a price on one. Sorry Tom :p

I will be throwing ACL tri-metal race bearings in the engine for next year, and I already threw standard alumiglide(?) ACL bearings in the current 6 bolt(whenever I get around to putting it in the auto to finish off the year/fabricate other parts). I don't know specifically for ACL bearings, but race bearings tend to have a slightly different cross section to compensate for high rpm distortion, which the auto will require a hefty rpm through the traps with stock height street tires. Mains will be tri-metal as well. Higher load capacity and less likely to be affected if the oil temp gets up there is another reason/thing I tell myself to justify the extra cost.

If you ever decide to sell your manifold, turbo, and downpipe, I will buy it from you in a heartbeat. Your the reason my car is going to a twin scroll HX-35. Until then, I'll be rocking ol' faithful, the 14B! :hellyeah:

Haha thanks, but I don't see it going anywhere. I really want to see how it does with a stock torque converter. I can't wait to press the brake and gas at the same time and see what happens when I let off.

Also were your 130 traps still made on 1000cc injectors or did you get the 1200's? What does the DC look like? I seem to be maxing out my pte 1000's with the 16g? Using factory fuel lines and supra pump at 15v or so. I seem to be able to find 1600cc injectors everywhere. But I'm afraid this will cause a tuning nightmare.

I trapped 129 at 25 psi with the 1000's and it never had a problem with leaning out but the IDC was up there. My IDC's with the 1200's/now 1250's was in the high 80's if not low 90's if I remember right at 30 psi. Something seems off if you are maxing 1000's on e85 with a 16g.

Still a single 255 with factory lines and banjo bolt delete on the factory filter.

I trapped 129 at 25 psi with the 1000's and it never had a problem with leaning out but the IDC was up there. My IDC's with the 1200's/now 1250's was in the high 80's if not low 90's if I remember right at 30 psi. Something seems off if you are maxing 1000's on e85 with a 16g.

Still a single 255 with factory lines and banjo bolt delete on the factory filter.

Thats what I thought. Although I hear PTE/delphi injectors don't actually flow as much as other injector brands they are tested at higher pressures. What brand were your 1000's?

What did you put in place of the factory filter? I'm still running and OEM filter. I'll probably shoot for 1250-1450s then. Bummer though I've got someone wanting to do a straight trade for some deatschwerks 1600cc.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back