The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

my 92 6/4 auto journal

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitsubishimanic

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 4, 2010
clarkston, Washington
ok so i picked up a 92 talon awd about 2 months ago that i traded for my beat ass 77 chevy 4x4. the car was in limp mode cus of a "fryed" tcu. turns out the ecu was leaking but that was not the problem. the problem turned out to be that the tcu was not getting any secondary power. i didnt want to deal with wires so i picked up a road surge shift box, witch i love. and now she drives and SHIFTS just fine. the car is compleatly stock and unmolested when i got it and in amazing shape exept the body is a lil rough. this will be my little journal of my adventures and mishaps while maintaining restoring and moding this car. so far i have put a boost gauge and k&n filter. and a couple free mods like the air can hack. here are some pics. look foward to my 5 speed spec swap injectors, ecu, and turbo.

Attachments

• be.jpg
    be.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 1,117
  • 000_0003.jpg
    000_0003.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 000_0010.JPG
    000_0010.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,099
  • 000_0006.JPG
    000_0006.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,103
  • 000_0007.JPG
    000_0007.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,129
  • 000_0002.JPG
    000_0002.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,095
Looks like a good start, what will your plans be for this car?

well for now just maintenance. shes in great shape besides the body which isnt bad. i have a big crack in the hot side of the turbo i just found. it sounded like it had an exhaust leak started looking around and found the crack ill post a pic. but my next plan starts this weekend going up to my dads land where my parts car is its a 92 awd 5 speed. im grabing the 14b off of it along with the injectors ecu and fpr so i can put my auto to 5 speed spec. and get rid of that little bitty turbo. after that a timing belt and a BSE.

Attachments

• 000_0001.JPG
    000_0001.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 1,049
I'm at about the same point you are, however I just installed an E3 16g. Can't wait to see how it feels on high boost. GL with the build.

Don't forget the 14b needs the 5spd's exhaust manifold and water pipe (especially the water pipe!!) the water feed/ return between the 14b and 13g are incompatible.

Don't forget the 14b needs the 5spd's exhaust manifold and water pipe (especially the water pipe!!) the water feed/ return between the 14b and 13g are incompatible.

That's not true. I ended up porting the heck out of the auto manifold, so it's pretty much a 5 speed manifold now.
IMG_7022.jpg

It doesn't need the water pipe, it just needs the water feed and return lines, as well as the oil feed (which you didn't mention). Oil drain works just fine. I actually just finished the swap, it went pretty smooth besides the coolant drain that didn't want to come off ROFL.

just trying to help.... i ran into similar problems in he middle of an all night job and had no means of sourcing viable alternatives (no 24 hour junkyards or pars stores...)

just trying to help.... i ran into similar problems in he middle of an all night job and had no means of sourcing viable alternatives (no 24 hour junkyards or pars stores...)

No worries, I just wanted people to know exactly what they need if they were to do the swap, because it's pretty straight forward. There seems to be alot of people on here lately that like to spout out information when they're not too sure (not accusing you of this at all, I'm talking in a general sense). OP, what's the deal with your car? Are you making progress?

yes slowly LOL. so heres an update so went to my dads to get the stuff of my parts car and my snow tires and i learned some thing toyo zexius tires and snow dont mix well slid into a fence pool going around the turn onto my dads place wasnt bad only going about 10 mph scratched my bumper broke out my blinker. also on the way flashed a quick CEL used my logger to check it was code 44 coil pack or power transistor so while i was there i swaped those off my parts car along with a new blinker. grabbed the ECU, injectors, fuel rail\fpr and turbo. now all i need is to get paid so i can order new gaskets and an o-ring kit for the turbo and injectors. oh ya and i decided not to use the five speed exhaust mani because forced performance is having a sale on there header so i will be picking up one. so it might be a week or two till i get around to the swap so for now i am cleaning every thing up the person that owned the parts car spray painted stuff red under the hood like the fuel rail and injectors and i dont know how the turbos is in as nice shape as it is no shaft play, becouse the oil feed line was almost choked shut i could berly blow through it so i soaked it in dawn and water then used a pipe cleaner and shes nice and clean now i can blow through it easly.

oh ya this was the first road trip in the car rides super smooth on the highway. and also very fun in the snow with the proper tires my dad owns 10 acres of land on a mountin we had some fun .:thumb:

Attachments

• 000_0001.JPG
    000_0001.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 997
  • 000_0002.JPG
    000_0002.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 990
my parts car i got from my friend for $200 and his monster laser in the background.:hellyeah:

p.s. the laser was an n/a so no true dsm was hurt in the making of the monster laser.:p

Attachments

• dds.jpg
    dds.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 981
ok so FINALLY an update..... soo the the reason for the long wait is that my dd beretta blew a haed gasket so i have been dd'ing the talon and havent had a chance too work on it lately but finally had some time so i started the turbo swap. so far soo good except the banjo bolt for the 13b water line is different which i feel like an ass because it was said above just havent checked this in a long time. so ill be picking that up tomorrow. also managed to to pick up a fp racing header for cheap so putting that on as well. i will post pics when i finish it all up.

ok so i got it all finished up ended up having too delete the coolent lines getting a turbo timer so i dont cook the oil lines. dont worry i take care of my cars i wont be boosting and then just shutting my car off. any ways shes a new beast. all i can say is holy cracks batman there were over six cracks going all the way through the exhaust mani and exhaust housing. know wonder she was soo guttless. she runs great now tons more power spools instantly at 3000k rpm. next weekend i will be swapping to the five speed ecu and injectors as well as doing a vac delete.

Attachments

• 100_2405.JPG
    100_2405.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 905
  • 100_2404.JPG
    100_2404.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 904
  • 100_2414.JPG
    100_2414.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 909
  • 100_2408.JPG
    100_2408.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 906
  • 100_2407.JPG
    100_2407.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 920
  • 100_2406.JPG
    100_2406.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 912
Progress looks great thus far! Keep the updates coming!

Just to make sure..

You have the ecu,injectors,and fpr from a 5 speed right for your swap?

You must have all of those..Because the auto fpr is 43 psi and the manual is 38..Mine is using the auto 43 psi fuel pressure.But you will need a way to tune for that..

Just to make sure..

You have the ecu,injectors,and fpr from a 5 speed right for your swap?

You must have all of those..Because the auto fpr is 43 psi and the manual is 38..Mine is using the auto 43 psi fuel pressure.But you will need a way to tune for that..

yep i sure do you were the one who told me what i needed to do the injector swap. its all in a pic above 92 5 speed ecu, fuel rail, and injectors, along with a new seal and o-ring kit.

got my stm egr delete in the mail so if i have time i get to rip out a bunch of vacuum lines as well.

ok so i got the injector swap done and and the vac/egr delete all done. all went well.

positves. my idle is nice and smooth used to be a little rough.

negitives....now have slight miss fire/boost leak problem between 3500-5500.

so ill recheck the vac lines that i have left. and look into a boost leak tester. im sure its boost leak because it drives fine under normal driving. im going to replace the crappy omni spark plug wires that came with the car with a set of ngks as well.

UPDATE.

OK so all is well with the beast. besides i have slight boost leak at the lower injector seals. but any way YAY for taxes. they should be coming this week. so far i have planned to buy new lower seals, a data logger seince mine broke like three months ago. also planning on getting a srs catback and megen downpipe.

I would also suggest looking into the Road Race Engineering downpipes. You can get them in long 1 piece versions that include the cat section so this would bolt right up to your SRS cat back.

Eclipse Exhaust System Upgrades

Ok so im back with an update just got done ordering my srs and new high flow cat. decided i didnt have enough to get a down pipe yet which is fine. i did also pick up new lower seals for my injectors. and a dejon tool intake oh ya and a turbo timer. im trying to stick with the upgrade path in the tech index for my path of modding. and man am i sick of winter i want descent weather to come so i can put the rims off my parts car on and stop driving the mismatched rims (see top pics).

ok i got some parts and put them on. so i took back the cat in the pic below cus i found a great deal on a down pipe its a 2.5 flange at o2 housing and 3 in at the cat picked it up off ebay for 40 dollars YES. picked up a 3in high flow cat off my buddy for 25 bucks YES it onlt has 2k on it. i put the srs catback in just couldn't wait for the rest of it. sounds amazing nice and DEEP not ricey at all. cant wait to see how she sound with full 3in. i highly recommend this cat back. also got my injector seals changed no more boost leak spudder. and i finally took a pic of my egr block off plate from when i did my vac delete. i got my turbo timer in the mail today ill be wiring in that tomorrow accompanied with pics for you guys. hopefully next week ill get my intake from dejon tool and the rest of my exhaust along with my data logger so i can start turning up the boost a lil. im only running like 8 psi the stock pressure it was at when i got it just till i got a way to monitor every thing and i took care of all the problems. when i get all the parts ill post a good engine ba pic it needs a updated pic

Attachments

• 000_0014.JPG
    000_0014.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 685
  • 000_0012.JPG
    000_0012.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 711
  • 000_0013.jpg
    000_0013.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 000_0011.JPG
    000_0011.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 686
I also have the SRS cat-back, even though my interior seems to have no sound deadening I still love the sound. Deep and rumbly but when you get on it it roars. Quite classy for the price.

F#&K BOOST LEAK that is all i have to say. looks like tomarow i get to get to know my new boost leak tester that i just made.

Attachments

• 000_0003 (2).JPG
    000_0003 (2).JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 658
ok so a quick update fixed the boost leak shes running great now. tuned the boost the boost up a little. shes pulls soooooo hard now mind you this is the first time its ever been running "perfect" since i have owned it. it was a slow gutless whore when i first got her.. i cant wait for the full 3in exhaust. i got my down pipe today i am very satifyed with it for how much i paid for it. forty bucks on ebay for a brand new down pipe. its 2.5 in at the o2 housing flange then about 2 inches down it bumps up full 3in. i can see down into the flex part and it stays flush with the rest of the pipe. the only thing thing that could be better is the welds. ill post some pics of it. unfortunately i am going out of town for a week so i will not be able to put it on yet.

p.s. i would love some feed back on my build what do you all think. where do you think i should go from here. im thinking front mount and hard piping next. then next tax season a tuning program followed by fuel system upgrade.

Attachments

• 000_0005 (2).JPG
    000_0005 (2).JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 633
  • 000_0002 (2).JPG
    000_0002 (2).JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 627
  • 000_0006 (2).JPG
    000_0006 (2).JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 622
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back