The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Losing Oil pressure. 99 GSX

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oliversaturnino

Probationary Member
Sep 12, 2021
Denver, Colorado
So my friends 99 GSX won’t hold oil pressure, it’s been sitting for 7 years, just got out of the shop. At first we thought it was just because it didn’t have a dip stick. But then continued to do it after he got the new one. As soon as it got up to temp it started to lose pressure or just straight up die because it wouldn’t hold pressure. New tune? Head gasket? Any ideas? Runs fine until up to temp. Don’t have a video of it. Not leaking oil. No strange noises either.

Dip stick has nothing to do with oil pressure. It’s basically a vent for the crank case without a dipstick. Could it possibly be low because it’s idling low? How are you checking oil pressure?

As soon as it got up to temp it started to lose pressure or just straight up die because it wouldn’t hold pressure.
What do you mean by this? Does the engine seize because there's no oil? And I have the same question of how you're measuring the oil pressure. If you're using the factory gauge, that's not very reliable. I've had a bad electrical connection before on that gauge and it would zero out sometimes. My oil dummy light is currently malfunctioning and constantly on but the actual pressure is fine. Make sure you're reading the pressure properly before digging into the engine

my friends 99 GSX won’t hold oil pressure
As soon as it got up to temp it started to lose pressure or just straight up die because it wouldn’t hold pressure.
If those were true, probably your friend's engine needs to be rebuild. There could be another cause for the engine stall. The car may have multiple issues since it had been sitting for many years.

As for the low oil pressure, I don't know how you are reading the pressure but like @TK's9d2TSi Tony said above that maybe you are reading low pressure because the engine is stalling. Low engine speed = Low oil pressure.
How low is the oil pressure?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back