The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

How did you find/bond with your DSM?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zachsEVO3

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 1, 2008
Ithaca, New_York
I was reading another n00bs question on getting his new DSM from A to B without plates and was about to comment but for fear of thread-jacking decided to start a new thread...fore it minded me of my first meeting with my car.

I saw it on ebay, went from red with fabric interior to "scion silver" with black leather and already had some "work" done. The Owner said he had to drop everything and move to Washington state so I told him I have $2,500 to to give you to-morrow if you gimme the title. But he's in Boston and im in Upstate NY and the $2500 is about all I'm going to devote to procuring it.

Finally made it from Upstate NY...to NYC, then finally to Boston where my DSM was, on a greyhound...with a family members plates. Jerks at the station didnt tell me I had to go outta my way and change buses so after taking a cab over I ended up signing the title on the hood at 10pm in the middle of the projects with the owner's room mate and sister there ### he already skipped town. none of that sounds kosher.

Met them on the one lighted stoop in the place " Hey you zach?" "Yup." Got the cashiers check?" "Yup. Got the title?" "Yup."

initial impressions - these seats are comfy and this Momo wheel is mutha####in T'zite!

So with a warning of the dipstick popping out and bad valve cover gasket spewing oil on the manifold if I got on it I was on my way under the cloak of darkness. Still when I pushed the accelerator just enough while cruising id hit its boost profile and got that cool gentle shove in the seat. It had a short ram intake and a steel mesh filter so the only thing you could hear was the turbo spool. *sniff* yup, burning oil, dammit

I completely missed an exit and had to go through Syracuse like another hour for a total of six hours and did not mind at all.I mustave listened to this silly gwen stefani solo album I bought on the way like 8 times somehow I thought that was my best option to buy at a gas station on the way back.

I had to have a car for work/school but I do not suggest doing any of that ..especially the gwen stefani album whenever I think of that story that damn album pops in my head.:barf:

Last edited:
Well I got hooked back in 2000 when I drove my sisters 95 talon esi home from the stealership back then it was (at the time) the fastest and best handling car I ever driven. Then The fast and the Furious came out and I was sold on a turbo eclipse. Wasn't until 2004 that I found one. Earlier in the year I had been given a 94 talon ds 1.8 (thats another story) I worked with a guy a the local Chrysler dealer who had a 90 GSX just siting in his yard he had not driven it in over a year. I asked him if he wanted to sell. He said yes. It has 79000 miles on the clock. I went and looked at the car paint was totally faded but there want even a dent on the car. The sun roof had leaked and there was about 2" of water in it. we tried to start the car but the humidity in the car corroded the ecu. He told me $500 for the car. I ok let me get an ecu and see it run first.

So I ordered and ecu off ebay (rebuilt). When it came in I sent it home with him and he put it in and it still did not run. The car sat for so long with less than 1/4 tank the fuel pump seized. So I bought a new factory pump and sender for over 400 before I knew anything about aftermarket fuel pumps). Good thing I was able to get reimbursed on this b/c I had that other talon and we had a big problem with water in the gas down here so shell gave me the money back on the fuel pump and sender!

Well he got it running and I went down to pick it up. I asked him how much he wanted again. He paused and said $450. So I drove the car home with only $650 in it. Needless to say in the next 4 months I put $2000 in to I just repairing broken old and warn out parts. Then I blew the engine up in less than 2000 miles after my second oil change. Still can not figure out how it burned off that much oil. I knew it has a slight oil burning problem but not that bad LOL. One year after I bought the car it flooded. I still have the car I purchased over $4000 worth of parts to put on it then I decided to scrap the car.

In 2008 I came across a 96 spyder GST auto for $300. Most of the parts I could use I kept the others I have sold or am selling.

I also owned a few other DSMs during the process: 92 laser 2.0 n/a, 91 eclipse 1.8, 90Talon Tsi FWD

In 2002 a friend of mine bought a 97 GST Spyder. To be honest I thought it was a chick car, like a scion or something. At this point I had a 87 TransAM with a built 350 and it was bottle feed. Well he dropped it off at my house with a box of bolt on's for me to do. The Car was bone stock he paid $7000 for it and it had 80,000 miles. I bolted on the extreme motorsports 3" turbo back exhaust, an air intake and a K&N filter. Driving it back to is work to drop it off was the first time I experienced boost, and have been sold on turbos ever since. A in 2005 my DD Isuzu Hombre blew up on me and I needed a ride. My friend offered me the GST for $3000 at 90,000 miles. I picked it up and you can check my mode list to see that I've progressed with the car. I ended up parting out the TransAM to buy parts for the GST. That and it was time to cut off my mulletLOL

I always wanted a 95-99 turbo dsm. I found many, but they were all out of my price range. I then came accross one that was in good condition, but the paint was fading. The guy was asking 7k for it, and i said forget it. But i couldnt get that car out of my mind, and then i went back and offered him 4 for it, because it did need some work, and he took it. Ever since then, it has been a money pit, but i love it. I just put in my td06 20g, so hopefully i can make pretty big power with that.

got sick of my 1.8L n/a mirage, but I knew that I wanted to stick with a mitsubishi. Evo's are my dream car, but I didn't have the money. So I found the next best car with a 4g63t that I liked and that was the 2gen gsx. So I sold my car and my 600cc bike and used that money to buy an eclipse. At first I got a gst, but ended up selling that to get the gsx for the AWD.

After 2 months of looking for a gsx within my budget, a buddy told me about a 1996 gsx that was on craigslist for like $3,000. I only have about $2500. So I emailed the guy and he said he would take $2500 but that I had to take the car as is, pay for the past due registration and get is smogged. I drove it for 2 hrs to get back home. I'll never forget the drive home with the biggest smile on my face.

That was about a month ago, and unforunately the turbo died on me shortly there after, and I am working on putting in the new turbo now. But I was planning on upgrading any ways, and even with the new turbo, it was worth every penny.

always wanted a white or red 1g with a black roof.... until i found a decent vr4.

long story short, i used to be a bodyman/painter when i was 16 managing a body shop. it was my buddy's shop, so it was small, but very busy. i had 2 other men under me. anyway owner,s boy brought in this beat up, 4door, awd, turbo, nissan sentra looking piece of shit. i fell in love. after one of my workers trued the panels and did hte body work, it was time for the owner to paint it, since he wanted to. however, the owner fell into some issues with the landlord and the car was going to have to be taken out of the shop, paintless, primerless and motorless. not on my watch.

3 am, primed the car, and it looks mean as hell. 5 years later, the car sits, it doesn;t run yet, but it sits at my buddy's house..fully built motor, fp turbo, every electronic short of standalone, d2 coilovers..god sweet vr4. finally it will run soon.

but that car...that one car started my madness. driving, fixing, and loving my gvr4.

My introduction to DSM's was through a guy I knew who was ready to take a 1993 FWD Talon to the junk yard. He was leaving town and needed cash. I gave him $400. It was only worth $50! I felt pride in myself for deed of civic duty. $15000.00 later and I still have not gotten the car on the road. I have a
very close relationship with 'Bitchi-one' and now I want a devorce!

After seeing fast and furious I wanted an eclipse badly but didnt know much about them until I started reading forums I found out about turbo eclipse which I never heard a turbo until I saw one near my house just the sound of the bov got me in love with the turbo eclipse then later I found out about the gsx and that was my goal since there isnt alot in my area. So as I started to fall min love I was driving near my house and there it was a black stock 98 gsx all I saw was the spotlights from the shinny paint and stock rims it was in a dealership luckily I had good credit so I went to the bank got a loan an bought the car with 82,000 miles on it for $10,000 this was on 2005 and this was the cleaniest gsx I have since, but thats how I fell in love.

Well I had always wanted one but thought that im fine with my suv. Then a buddy of mine had a 90 laser that he ended up crashing and needed help pulling the engine and other parts to put into another shell that he bought, well during the whole process i got to more and more liking working on the talon. A few days later he asked me if i wanted to buy it for 1000 bucks ### i helped put everything in and i was sold on it. We choose to make this a junkyard car and build it the best we could. The only things we needed to buy new were the injectors and fuel pump, all the rest was from the junkyard.

Oh man where to start...

I fell in love with dsm's at the age of 7 when I first rode in a 20g laser . When I was 16 I bought a 1994 Eagle Talon DL for $300 with intentions of boosting it ( didnt know what the hell was going on back then ) it needed a radiator and some other misc things, I got it home and come to find out it was stolen.. So it got towed and I got jewed outta my money. When I turned 18 I bought a 90 tsi with a s16g and 2.5" exhaust for $2500!! :banghead: which later I scraped. I now have a 95 gsx that I bought for $4000 with 88k , body is flawless and it had a fresh 7bolt , and a bunch of bolt ons. Beautiful car, she is my baby..

Wow this makes me feel really old, but it seems like yesterday. I was 18 years old and just moved to Cincinnati Ohio. This was before Paul Walker and Vin Diesel burned up the screen at my buddy had a bad ass civic that was quick. I was still new to performance cars, for christs sakes I drove a VW Superbeetle. I was tired of hearing how quick my buddies civic was and I was tired of freezing my ass off in winter so I began my car search. I originally wanted a mustang gt but the price of car insurance was RETARDED. In a twist of fate, while I was looking at a mustang that a older gentleman had forsale his son pulled into the driveway in a 95 talon tsi awd. With a rev of the engine and a loud PSHHH sound I was intrigued. After I talked him into taking me a ride I was hooked. After some searching a guy i was going to buy a 96gsx off of changed his mind and decided to keep the car, but had a friend with a wicked spyder gst that he needed to get rid of bad. I called him and his price was still over my budget(19k). It was brand new. So I agreed to met. I will never forget sitting at that gas station when he pulled in and I seen it for the first time. I knew screw a budget who needs to eat I was getting it. Red with tan leather, lowered 2 1/2"s, Greddy front mount, Greddy Evvolution exhaust, 17 einki katanas polished. I loved it. God I miss it. But I have always had a dsm since then. Love them when they're running, hate them on the jackstands.

Last edited:
My very 1st car I ever seen that I really like was aeagle talon. I seen it parked in fron of an insuance place when I was young. I went home right away and started searching about them and found out about the whole DSM thing for the most part. Then when I was old enough to buy a car I had a neihbor who had a nack for ricing the shit out of cars , and he had happen to be trying to sell his 97 cayenne pearl GS. Imade payments until I paid him off and then got to work in my drive way.I removed the blitz body kit, returned the body to factory looks, had it repainted the factory color, Re did the interior all balck and swapped the blown engine for a good one. I ended up selling her to try to get a decent low milage car to get me back and forth to my job but that lasted only 7 months. I was on my way home from work and I seen this black GST spyder with a black top sitting next to the dealer ship. I called the very next morning when they opened to find out about it. The next day....I was he proud owner of a turbo DSM! Ive had 21 n/t gs's 1 GSX and my spyder that I still have .

K, I'll chime in on this one: 2002 in a side street car sale lot, I needed to get me a 2nd car for work. Saw this '91 1G Base Eclipse 1.8L automatic for 700 bucks. Took it for a spin and love how I fit in the car and how confortable it was. Bought it and still own it (actually my daughter has it now and I still take care of it)

.. thing had 132k miles on it when I got it and now it's pushing 196k and still hold oil real good-just had to do a cam seal on it.

Shortly after I got it, one of my fellow workers just got his '90 LASER RS Turbo back from a motor overhaul. He let me have a spin in it. DAMN!! What power that thing had... but at this time, I was totally ignorant on what DSM is, even though I remember when the 1G's came out in late 1989 and how popular they were in '90 and '91.

After I gave that to my daughter in 2005, I found another 1G, this time it was a '90 that needed a motor. Thus, I tagged a JDM 12v 1.8L to put in that vehicle. That extra set of intake valves (it was for the MCA Jet system..) woke that little motor up a bit. I later sold that car for my present ride....being of...

....Spring of last year is when I found my present '90 RS Turbo that has a Galant VR4 4G63 with the b16G turbo Did the belts first off, MT-90 in the tranny, then the classic BPR6ES plugs ... and it is just as quick as that one I drove back in '02..

Thus, had three, 1g models ... and my favorite build with the pop-up headlights.

When the front end design took place with the '92 to 94 models, I was dissappointed with this design since I really liked the pop-up headlight look and with the solid headlight design, it really took away the personality that these cars originally had. Then, the major design change for '95 to '99 was a good improvement-more sports car look than the hatchback of the earlier models.

We'll forget about the 3G's and the present 4G models - just totally lost the Mitsubishi personality all together.

Good luck driving, all ....DSM

I got the DSM bug by accident. Back in April of 2001 my friend at a Nissan dealership say's he has a local trade in for $ 350 that was 4x4. I took a look and it was a talon tsi with 60k miles and a smokey motor. Original owner trade in by a 40 yr. old woman. So I bought it for my wife. Thought the turbo was bad so I threw a 16g on it. Well that completely destroyed the engine. So I still have the car. My wife got a new car which is an a4 turbo. Well the audi is a dog compared to the talon. My wife is disappointed with the turbo on the Audi. Too bad , I got the Talon now. Just added a FP manifold and 3" ex and an ACT setup and and evo scan and an elec.boost control so.... Whooo hooo....Tres...

:DI got my gst like this
And now its back to stock :thumb::hellyeah:
Was missing alot of misc things...
I told my cousin i wanted an eclipse
Calls me a week later telling me his hisfriend has a turbo one..
I was like turbo?:hmm:
Didnt care so i bought it
Found this forum and my life chaged :pray:

Attachments

• CIMG7223.JPG
    CIMG7223.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 616
  • 102508104533.jpg
    102508104533.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 606
  • 102508104554.jpg
    102508104554.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 609
My first introduction to my 99 gst spyder was from my uncle, he had bought it used and I rode in it once, and never thought much about it again. I was in the honda scene at that point in time. Then 2 years later, he lost his license and told me to buy it from him for 5k, I told him I only had $2500 =D and he said ok. Now I've had it for 3 years, first year it sat cause I also lost my license, then drove it the for a year, blew some pistons rings and decided to do a full rebuild. One year later its and its about to be alive again. Too bad falls here and its oregon and its a spyder! But nonetheless I love my car and have no intentions of ever selling it. EVER!

I got the bug many years ago. The first time I put a wrench to one it was a 90 Laser RS turbo and the starter had gone out. It took me awhile to even find the starter. My love for the 1Gs has been on going since then. I think that I have finally taken every piece off of them and this past week had to replace the heater core. I currently own my 90 Laser RS with 320K miles, a 92 Laser 1.8, a 92 Eclipse GS for parts and a 92 Eclipse GS that is my project car that is getting the royal treatment. 2.0 with a 16g turbo, FM intercooler lowered 2 inches and retrofit manual trans from auto. But hey! Whats not to love about them? They handle great! They are fun and are excellent in the snow! DSM, turning ordinary men into mechanics.:thumb:
Mike

I saw my first DSM when I was just a little tike. I loved how it looked and still do (it was a friend's neighbor's 91 TSi AWD). The first time I saw a DSM run, and I mean really RUN, was at a local drag strip when I was 16. It was another 1GA and it ran 11s. I was so baffled that such a car could run those times with the amount of work this guy had done. That is the day I decided I would buy a DSM. Up to this point I was riding in friend's built 'Stangs and what not, but none as fast as that DSM with less money into it. I was shocked, awed and impressed. :talon:

Mine came along with the love for the evo. When i tuned 13 in 03 i first read about the evo and it simply amazed me. 4 dr, turbo, awd, 5 spd that could go, i was hooked. But being so young and short of cash i slowly started looking for a more "reasonable" car and discovered the DSM. Got hooked and found a white 98 tsi awd at age 16 and simply said, "i gotta have it". 110k miles and all stock, paid 6k and ppl though i was crazy but who understands us anyways and in the process of doing a crazy build. Absolutly love this car to death

was looking for a car. found a tsi awd shell in the parking lot at the maaco where my sisters boyfriend works.
we decided to build it up, new engine( it was blown), new interior( there was none), and new paint( shitty peeling red).

4 grand later, its running perfect, and looking good.

Attachments

• m_2c3ddb4c0ba448b7a4f4e08bb21ca96b.jpg
    m_2c3ddb4c0ba448b7a4f4e08bb21ca96b.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 596
my story is a short one....had a 94 plymouth sundance duster with the mitsubishi 6g72 v-6 five speed (fun ####ing car) and always half assed joked about how it was sorta a dsm. Anyway there was a white talon that sat in a driveway on my way to take this girl I knew home on a regular basis...seen the all wheel drive callouts and told my buddies I will have that car one day....well as luck would have it the duster got rearended by some drunk dude that went to my school in his fox body ####ing mustang. ####ed my back up and had some cash all the sudden....so one day I decide to stop and ask about the car etc. Rang the door bell....kid answers the door, "no way man my dad aint selling that car! Its his baby" and kinda that was the end of that..about a week later I see who I assume is the owner out in his yard. So i stopped and yelled out the window...."Would you ever think of selling the talon?" in which he replied "Buddy, anything has a price"....So I arranged for a later meeting to test drive the car....took it out and hit boost and was totally sure it was my car.

Went back and discussed dolores amounts and she was all mine:hellyeah:

She was so clean and perty then and he thought it was the fastest thing around LOL 44 yr old or something...I keep joking about how he is gonna shit his pants when he sees it again and rides in it after the transformation she has undergone.

My buddie Asked me to goto a car auction with him, says hey there's a DSM there.
I said "it's probably hacked up and/or non turbo.
So I said whatever I'll go check it out.
Hmm so i go to pop the hood. bam 4g63t, huge oil puddle in the spark plug wire area (oil cap had no seal, shh)and dirt everywhere. odometer read 208k (now 248k) Windshield marked "runs and drives".
hmmm.. should i bid?
Key was in ignition. clean title on hand.
hooked jump box up. fired right up. battery was dead so the car died unless revved.
Had a secret screw driver handy, undid the intake hose and checked shaft play. NONE.

So i said hey ill bid on it, ended up winning it to find out it was donated to the humain society from the original owner because it failed washington emissions in 03. I got it for $495. title in hand. drove it home barely making it with the dead battery, poppped new one in, drove straight to DEQ and bam, passed flying colors. shocked. Carfax report stated, no records, 1 flag. Flag was only there to state it failed emissions in 03. why it didnt pass up there? no clue.
its been driving perfect ever since. :hellyeah:

I owned a 99 Eclipse RS for a couple years, when I decided it was time to get an upgrade... I wanted a GSX. I began my eBay searches, and almost got scammed on Autotrader.com. I was about to be on my way to Indiana on a Sunday to (literally) look at a 98 GSX at a dealership when one of my co-workers sends me a text saying he saw one for sale just down the street from where he lives. I went to check it out, and told the owner I'd pay him his asking price of $4.5K. Once the loan came through I signed the title on his dining room table, and I drove away in the closest thing I've ever had to a child...

Mine goes like this...

I knew I wanted a DSM, but was not sure what exactly I wanted. I found quickly that I could not afford a 2g at the time, so I started to track down the best I could get - it had to be a 1992, preferably a Laser, with the 6bolt/4bolt combo. I searched for over a year, and test drove Talons and Eclipses the whole time, no sign of any Lasers at all. These cars I drove were crap-sizzle, and not worth buying because they were hacked all to hell, or had some other terminal issue. I was going to break down towards the end, a GT-4 Celica mint, or a black on black 2g GS-T eclipse. I was going to put more than half down and make payments....boo on that. The next day, a Plymouth Laser pops up in the paper, not much info. I called the guy, he said it was the first day it went in...The car was AWD and turbo, and that was all I needed to hear for me to start begging for instructions down there. As soon as I saw the car, I knew for sure this was the one... I never had a feeling like this from a car. I offered $3,100 cash back in 2000 for it, 63,000 original and unmolested miles. I beat her half to death, and have been slowly building her back up since 2004.

I also drive a 2005 LR3, and a mint 97' Caddy Seville....I would sell them both before I let my Laser go....

Shawn

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back