The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

good street turbo no 16g.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CiscoBite1Time

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 26, 2002
milwaukee, Wisconsin
i just got my motor done 8.5 ross pistons, 1g big rods, balanced crank, BS elim... head has 3 angle valve job, manely valves, etc. i'm looking to run a good street turbo. was looking at 50 trims. is that a good choice?

Yeah, That's pretty much the best choice for good top end and decent spool for the street. You can go bigger, which i would recommend, but a 50 trim is plenty. I would highly recommend going with an fP green.

I have a stock 6 bolt with a 50 trim and i get full boost at about 3900 rpms and it pulls to 6800 ish rpms no problem (stock cams). I made 302 awhp at 21 psi tuning with the afc and no afpr on a bone stock longblock.

I'll second the FP Green. FP makes some incredible turbo's, and the Green is amazing on the street. Mid 3K RPM spool, and insane top end.

Matt.

20G as Joseph said or FP Green as others have mentioned. Either one is a torque monster but the Green flows more air (49 lbs./min vs. 44 lbs./min.)

You'd do well with either and both will perform well on pump gas.

I know I will get ripped for saying this but let me explain. I wouldn't go the 20g or the FP GREEN.

There are so many more options that are less expensive, or cost a very little more. Like if you go to FP website the GREEN is $1299, while there FP3052 is the same price and the FP RED AND FP3065 is ONLY $50 more. And the 20g is like $1150. I think the 20g and the FP GREEN is a little overpriced in my opinion. Now if they were a bit lowered price I would recommend both of them, but in my opinion it is a bit overpriced.

Don't get me wrong the 20g and GREEN ARE INCREDIBLE TURBOS. Quick spool and amazing top end, but for the price and the turbos that FP offer are the same prcie range, I just think their overpriced. You can get a Dual BB 50 trim for a lower price than you pay for a GREEN.

Whatever you choose, have fun modding.. stay boostin

dalatinromeo said:
I know I will get ripped for saying this but let me explain. I wouldn't go the 20g or the FP GREEN.

There are so many more options that are less expensive, or cost a very little more. Like if you go to FP website the GREEN is $1299, while there FP3052 is the same price and the FP RED AND FP3065 is ONLY $50 more. And the 20g is like $1150. I think the 20g and the FP GREEN is a little overpriced in my opinion. Now if they were a bit lowered price I would recommend both of them, but in my opinion it is a bit overpriced.

Don't get me wrong the 20g and GREEN ARE INCREDIBLE TURBOS. Quick spool and amazing top end, but for the price and the turbos that FP offer are the same prcie range, I just think their overpriced. You can get a Dual BB 50 trim for a lower price than you pay for a GREEN.

While I do agree with you to some extent price should not be the main factor. I have seen a lot of people try and save a few bucks and buy a less expensive product, especially when it comes to turbos. I have seen a lot of the less expensive turbos fail or have problems here and there and the buyer either has to eat it or wait for the problem to be fixed. Now, I am not saying that an FP or Mitsu turbo will never fail, but I am willing to bet that the ration of succes to failure is much better for these companies than the less expensive ones.

dalatinromeo said:

Well we already know the green or 20g have proved themselves to be extremely durable. This cannot be said for some of the 50 trims. Now the PTE 5031BB is defently something worth checking out but it is still a fairly new turbo so we will have to wait abit to see how it stands up in the dsm world. As for comparing the price of the green to the 3052, you have to remember the green is a direct bolt on. The 3052 needs an external WG and a custom O2 housing, which can easily add another $500 to the price. Not to say it isn't an amazing turbo, just have to factor in the "extras". If I wanted to spend that kind of cash on a turbo the 3052 would probably be the route I'd go.

Enraged78, are you running a FP Green & seeing mid 3000 spool time? This seems a little low for a 2.0L. You probably won't see that kind of spool time on a std TD06 20g. When I was talking to FP they said expect more around 4000.

boostedinaz said:
While I do agree with you to some extent price should not be the main factor. I have seen a lot of people try and save a few bucks and buy a less expensive product, especially when it comes to turbos. I have seen a lot of the less expensive turbos fail or have problems here and there and the buyer either has to eat it or wait for the problem to be fixed. Now, I am not saying that an FP or Mitsu turbo will never fail, but I am willing to bet that the ration of succes to failure is much better for these companies than the less expensive ones.

Example: I bought the rs49t from agp FOR 600 and i am on my second one (got a new one cause the first one was smoking) and this one still burns oil :)

boostedinaz said:

I agree good post.:thumb: But the main point I was trying to get across was why not go grab a FP3052, RED, or FP3065 for the same price or only $50 more that you are going to pay for a green or 20g.

olmytsi said:
They are 'overpriced; for a reason.

Yes, because of expensive MHI parts.

My theory on turbos is this. And I'll only say this once. Most of us should have an EVO 16G and be able to run 12s with it, probably 11s on race gas. This requires tuning and a lot of effort but it really is the right way to run those times. People think getting a larger than is necessary turbo is an easier way to hit their goals. Or they're goals are to run 10s but they've never ran 11s, or 12s, or 13s. People get really retarded. I saw a dude in another thread that a 16G, 20G, 50-trim and has now settled on a Holeset POS and runs low 12s. Jesus. He should have run low 12s on the 16G before he even THOUGHT about upgrading.

The next step above 'most of us' is the 20G/Green/Red/FP30s, these are expensive. A custom 02 housing and an external is required (don't argue). Each has pros and cons. The hybrids can run a 38mm external off the manifold, $100 for the flange/welding plus $215 for the gate and a ported 02 housing, maybe a cheapy 2.5" mild steel one, another $150. Now you're into this thing for around $1500-1800 when all is said and done but there is nowhere else to go without backtracking or spending money on another turbo within that range that really will probably never get you more than another 75hp (assuming you max a 20G and step to a Red and max that). The FP30 series will give you better performance out the door for around the same money as a nice Green setup. I'd go this route if you've already built a motor and have a nice FMIC (plus rest of your setup). Another alternative is go full Garret T3/T4. More people should probably do this. You can go anywhere from a 50-trim to a GT35R+. People get a little scared about going full Garret I think, but I don't know why. Turbonetics manifolds are going for pretty cheap. You don't have to get an $850 header or a $150 ebay header, the Turbonetics manifold will work and they are around $300 used. Guess they aren't shiny enough for most people. FYI: Marco of Magnus ran 9s with a Turbonetics manifold, GT35R and nitrous.

Beyond that is all the STUPID people who take part in the "bolt on" biggy stage eleventeen craze that started with the MUTTS (which turned out to be SHIT). God did not intend anyone to have a "700hp" turbo that bolts in, has an internal and costs $500. Which is why nobody ever makes 700hp. You can't match a 700hp compressor to a 380hp turbine housing, with an internal, and expect good results. Sorry. It's not going to happen. Youthful individuals love to hear what they want to hear which is why every 17-year-old on DSMTuners has been convinced to buy a Holeset turbo, 1000cc injectors and seventeen copies of The Fast and the Furious. If they aren't buying bolt ons they are trying to go full T-series, probably all off ebay. Look, your car is going to SUCK with a T66 unless you have a 150hp shot of nitrous. And in that case expect to go through a motor or two per season and a transmission or seven as well. I say "season" because if you have a T66 you better be campaining a real racecar. Kids, of course, want to drive their cars on the street to impress hood rat sluts, their friends, plus anyone else they think is cool. Only thing I can say is if you plan on driving your car on the street, and you make $9 an hour at Best Buy, you don't want more than 350hp because you'll soon realize it gets extremely hard to keep a faster car properly maintained and running.

Go get 'em, tigers.

Insightful, whitty and brutally honest. I love it. Nice comments BatmanGSX. Now we wait and see how many listen...

-Bill

dalatinromeo said:
I agree good post.:thumb: But the main point I was trying to get across was why not go grab a FP3052, RED, or FP3065 for the same price or only $50 more that you are going to pay for a green or 20g.

Because grabbing a 10 second capable turbo and running 16psi on it will not get you anywhere.

olmytsi said:
Because grabbing a 10 second capable turbo and running 16psi on it will not get you anywhere.

Hes got a motor to support one of those turbos and who said he would run 16psi. I DD a rs65 on 25psi and love it. Streetable turbo is all a matter of opinion. The 3065 would even spool quicker then mine.

BatmanGSX said:
Youthful individuals love to hear what they want to hear which is why every 17-year-old on DSMTuners has been convinced to buy a Holeset turbo, 1000cc injectors and seventeen copies of The Fast and the Furious.

I agree with what you say but the holset 1000injs were proven by r10performance to go 11s easy first time at the track on a stock bottom end.

93jdmlaser said:
Hes got a motor to support one of those turbos and who said he would run 16psi. I DD a rs65 on 25psi and love it. Streetable turbo is all a matter of opinion. The 3065 would even spool quicker then mine.

93jdmlaser said:
I agree with what you say but the holset 1000injs were proven by r10performance to go 11s easy first time at the track on a stock bottom end.

Your not really getting the point. Sure he has the motor to support a big turbo, but does he need a turbo that big or even the motor he has? The point is most DSM owners today just go with the latest and greatest or the biggest one they can afford and never max them out or even get close. So many people have 50 trims with strokers and all kinds of BS just to run high 12's.

I share BatmanGSX's view (and boostedinaz's apparently) as well. If you're not running the correct time with the turbo you're using, then upgrading the turbo is not fixing any problems.

one of the things most people don't understand is that bigger turbo's at lower pressure levels flow much more air than the smaller turbo's. You are best off to go with something that you will run at around 80% of it's potential so you will have some headroom for future mods and still have great response.

I'm constantly amazed by people like batmanGSX that will dog on people running unproven stuff. And calling the Hoset a POS is way out of line. If anything they have proven to outlast pretty much any Garrett by far. Was working on one the other day that had 240,000 miles on it and it was pushing 30 PSI that whole time almost constantly. Shaft play was still with-in spec and the truck ran great. Almost every Garrett I've seen with that much milage and abuse has far more bearing wear. They where still functional but almost all of them had shaft play that was out of spec. What is bad is the Mitsu housings people mate them up to. To small for the large frame turbo and the backpressure is just to much to overcome. It's why their really isn't much difference from 20 psi to 30 psi.

If you are looking for a good street trubo get the TD06 20G with the new revised wheel. Flows more air "maybe" and spools faster than the older style of 20g's.

Maglin said:
If you are looking for a good street trubo get the TD06 20G with the new revised wheel. Flows more air "maybe" and spools faster than the older style of 20g's.

Okay I have been hearing about the NEW 20g. Where can I see one, and how much are they selling for???

Maglin said:
Was working on one the other day that had 240,000 miles on it and it was pushing 30 PSI that whole time almost constantly.

Since Holset is owned by Cummins, I'm going to guess a Dodge Ram with the Cummins diesel?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back