The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Turbo No good?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XiKeiyaZI

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 28, 2008
Goldsboro, North_Carolina
So... I just bought a Stock 90' GSX... and am in the process of dropping the old trans to slap in a rebuilt one.

Well, I decided that I'd go ahead and change out the cracked manifold (Didn't know how bad until I looked at the underside) and clean out all of the intake piping as it had gunk and oil built up from the blowback (Which I plugged off on the intake piping and filtered at the Valvue cover)

Anyway... when I removed the Exhaust Manifold... I looked down in my Turbo and noticed a large crack down the right side that leads to the O2 Housing. Now I know the Car still spools and pulls very hard, so I was wondering if this turbo is any good? I know it needs to be replaced because of that crack.... but it doesn't seem to have effected it's ability to force boost. Perhaps degrade it.

=/ So... what should I do? Get another TD05H or Upgrade? Or is the damage repairable?

Cracks are very common in the exhaust housing of these turbos. The only time you have to worry about them is if they effect the wastegate flapper sealing. If the cracks bad enough it will cause the flapper not to sit flat and will bypass exhaust causing a slower spool. If the spool is still good then the housing is fine

Also if the crack doesnt go all the way through you should still be good

It seemed like it was wider than deeper. I checked the flap and it seemed solidly closed... >> So perhaps it's okay.

It BEGINS to spool a little over 2800? If I remember correctly.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back