The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Which 16g turbo is good?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Searching might answer a TON of your questions. Considering about 90% of your questions have already been answered.

I've noticed your asking a lot of "noob" questions. Are you really ready to bolt up a 16g on your car? My opinion, is no. I reasearched a ton before actually placing an order to Extreme Psi.

You need oil lines, coolant lines, gaskets, maybe even exhaust manifold bolts. Boost gauge, datalogger, wideband, injectors if your boosting past stock levels, as well as all required maintenece done to your car.

Have you done that yet or looked into any of that? Or did you just want to slap on an "evo" turbo and go fast?

Last edited by a moderator:
Another way to tell them apart, look at the hot side. On the e316g the top stud thread fo the o2 wll be uncovered. Onn the other 16gs they are covered.

I have an e316g on my car and i run a daily 23psi. It holds up fine. Whatever one you chose just make sure you use anti-sieze on all of the bolts. The previous owner of my car didnt use it and now there is no way to take the turbo off without breaking each of the bolts from the mani, and the o2.

Good Luck!

Searching might answer a TON of your questions. Considering about 90% of your questions have already been answered.

I've noticed your asking a lot of "noob" questions. Are you really ready to bolt up a 16g on your car? My opinion, is no. I reasearched a ton before actually placing an order to Extreme Psi.

You need oil lines, coolant lines, gaskets, maybe even exhaust manifold bolts. Boost gauge, datalogger, wideband, injectors if your boosting past stock levels, as well as all required maintenece done to your car.

Have you done that yet or looked into any of that? Or did you just want to slap on an "evo" turbo and go fast?

I finish doing all the maintenance except the leak test. So, was searching about the 16gs and different people input. I know it's not a direct bolt on. But, didn't we all had to start somewhere and ask questions first. I am asking question and looking up the parts everyone is telling me. Yes I'm new to the turbo scene but no where near new to cars.

I finish doing all the maintenance except the leak test. So, was searching about the 16gs and different people input. I know it's not a direct bolt on. But, didn't we all had to start somewhere and ask questions first. I am asking question and looking up the parts everyone is telling me. Yes I'm new to the turbo scene but no where near new to cars.

Understandable to a certain extent. I joined the forums with a stock car & zero knowledge about turbos. I searched. I asked questions that were not previously answered multiple times over. I've been here long enough that recently, each 16g thread is a "good morning dsmtuners".

Not trying to :cry: or moan. But it gets repetitative and quite annoying seeing questions & answers that have been :beatentodeath:. I can not tell you the differences between a 16g & replica in great detail besides the obvious. But I can search.... :idontknow:

BTW, boost leak test is VERY important. Might want to ebay a boost leak tester & buy an air compressor if you do not already have one. And No, a bike pump will not work.

Do you have ANY supporting mods yet? Upper IC pipe, intake pipe, K&N intake filter kit, exhaust, injectors, fuel pump, fuel management, boost gauge, wideband, blow off valve, intercooler?

If you answer no to ANY of these, you are not ready for a turbo upgrade.

search the "how to make a boost leak tester", it's on here somewhere, and that's what I did. It cost me like $6 and works great.:thumb: And I asked many of these questions also, but searched first. It's not that nobody wants to answer or be helpful, but there is so much info on this site. You can learn a lot in a short time on here by reading, reading, and reading. Good luck on your car! And the simple way to tell on the turbo, just look for the TD05 on the housing. If you see ANYTHING else (like "turbocharger") :ohdamn:, stay away. On the 16g's that is.

Do you have ANY supporting mods yet? Upper IC pipe, intake pipe, K&N intake filter kit, exhaust, injectors, fuel pump, fuel management, boost gauge, wideband, blow off valve, intercooler?

If you answer no to ANY of these, you are not ready for a turbo upgrade.

Right now I only have a CAI, I'm getting the gauges, bov, fmic and exhaust within the next couple of weeks. What I do is buy the parts as I go and one fine day. I'm going to start putting everything on little by little but, I like to know that in the house I have all the parts lined up also, I go for the main and most expensive parts first.

It's a good deal but I seen the turbo already for around $500 and a fmic off I believe crxracing for like $200

Edit: I just calculated the e316g with the fmic (has no piping) and piping will come up about the same so, I think I'm better off with that deal then. I can't see myself spending 1k in one shot like that but, it's a dsm with everything added it's always going to be more than 1k. Lol

Right now I only have a CAI, I'm getting the gauges, bov, fmic and exhaust within the next couple of weeks. What I do is buy the parts as I go and one fine day. I'm going to start putting everything on little by little but, I like to know that in the house I have all the parts lined up also, I go for the main and most expensive parts first.

You have a cold air intake.....

Pictures please.

Also, get the package with the FP manifold included. It's worth it. But not until you have all the rest of the mods I have listed.

You have a cold air intake.....

Pictures please.

Also, get the package with the FP manifold included. It's worth it. But not until you have all the rest of the mods I have listed.

The cai isn't install yet been too busy with school and work. Also, I have no idea on how to post pictures, well actually never took the time to find out.

Just, please God, do us all a favor and install one thing at a time, starting the car and making sure everything works before moving on to the next.

There is nothing worse than a new guy (not being disrespectful, just a fact) throwing on all his mods at once then posting the "HELP!! CAR WON'T START!!" thread.

Its difficult figuring it all out if you throw too much on at once.

Just my .02

Just, please God, do us all a favor and install one thing at a time, starting the car and making sure everything works before moving on to the next.

There is nothing worse than a new guy (not being disrespectful, just a fact) throwing on all his mods at once then posting the "HELP!! CAR WON'T START!!" thread.

Its difficult figuring it all out if you throw too much on at once.

Just my .02

I'm not going to put everything on at once. I know that for other people's experience. The turbo is going to be the last thing I put on so, I can know how all the other mods are performing first. I'm going to put the boost controller and boost gauge first. Still looking for a good mbc that I can tune within the driver seat. Where is the best place you guys think to put the knob. I want to put it hidden from curious passengers not to touch but easy for me to turn.

Look on vednors for that, your turning up the boost, with the current mods? turning up boost no wideband? MMM I started off little keeping it all stock then worked my way up, now i have enough mods to tune my car.

I'm not going to put everything on at once. I know that for other people's experience. The turbo is going to be the last thing I put on so, I can know how all the other mods are performing first. I'm going to put the boost controller and boost gauge first. Still looking for a good mbc that I can tune within the driver seat. Where is the best place you guys think to put the knob. I want to put it hidden from curious passengers not to touch but easy for me to turn.

No. A boost controller is not meant to be "tuned". You set it to the level where your car can handle it, and leave it there, it's not something you want to have a direct control over w/o popping the hood, honestly. Begging to blow up your engine.

The closest thing you're going to get is ECMlink V3 (full). It now has boost control that you can tune via a laptop. All you need is a $40 solenoid that wires into your OEM boost control solenoid's harness. No you cannot use your OEM solenoid.

No. A boost controller is not meant to be "tuned". You set it to the level where your car can handle it, and leave it there, it's not something you want to have a direct control over w/o popping the hood, honestly. Begging to blow up your engine.

The closest thing you're going to get is ECMlink V3 (full). It now has boost control that you can tune via a laptop. All you need is a $40 solenoid that wires into your OEM boost control solenoid's harness. No you cannot use your OEM solenoid.

Can you buy the solenoid with ECM-link?

MY boost controller is something I tune. I run gate pressure up to a certain mph, then reroute flow through the ball/spring mbc. It's a way to tune your power output for your current traction conditions. :)

there are few exceptions for replacing a turbo at all stock. I ran into the issue where my 14b was burning oil and has some shaft play. I decided to replace the turbo instead of getting it rebuilt. Replaced it with a EVO 3 16g and am running the wastegate boost of 9PSI. I have been working to replace things with the correct supporting mods before I do anything real drastic with my car.

I'm new here and honestly don't know how to use this site LOL, DON'T GET MAD I JUST HAVE SOME QUESTION.

I have a 1989 Honda Prelude with a Evo3 16g turbo in it, bought the car as a project and wanted to replace the turbo gaskets because one of them was warped. I don't exactly know what turbo I have or where to find new gaskets. I was told it was an Evo3 16g turbo or like I think that's the same as a TD05-16g.

If anyone can help that would be great

Take a picture and post it up. Some are Chinese fake and some are genuine. @JusMX141 is our resident turbo guru and a picture would say a lot if you can post one that we can all see.
Welcome to the forum, we are all here to help!
Marty

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back