The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Evo 3 Intake manifold

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kpro22

Proven Member
Jul 15, 2016
San Diego, California
I'm about to install a evo 3 intake manifold , what do I do with this hole behind the intake manifold?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

If you got EGR use it, if not then plug it with a bung

I plan on removing my egr , do I have to plug the one on the engine head too? Or pluging the one on the picture good enough?

Just plug this one on the manifold, all gaskets are the same anyway so they have a gap for the port in the head, use a crush washer with the bolt or banjo which ever you decide to go with to seal it correctly

No worries, did you get rhe evo TB aswell or using a 1G as they are 60mm so bigger then the 2G 52mm, worth it for a little extra opening

I got a rebuilt 1gt tb from throttlebody.com, i was debating on getting the heat barrier gasket or using the oem replacement.

I never used a thermal gasket so i cannot comment on that, i just use oem gaskets and seem fine for me for years

I currently use the Thermal gasket with evo 3 IM and 1g TB... Well worth it

The idea is that the gasket will keep heat retained by the iron block from heating up the intake manifold and raising intake air temps. Heat soak is inevitable but if you have an optimized system you might be able to log/feel an improvement in performance.

Last edited:
I have no heat barrier gasket and my intake manifold is cool to the touch even after hard pulls. I think it's a marketing gimmick to separate people from their dollars. I think intake tract heat has more to do with your intercooler's ability to cool the charge. Heatsoak the intercooler and blow hot air through pipes.... or don't. I don't consider the radiant heat from the cylinder head to be a huge issue especially since the intake manifold should be constantly cooled by incoming air. Just my two cents, I'd skip the cost of the heat barrier.

I alsso dont believe that the intake manifold has enough internal surface area to heat up the air charge within in any appreciable manner. Air isnt in there for long enough period to absorb radiant heat energy from the manifold. If it was or heat energy transfer would occur that quickly, the opposite effect would also hold true and intercoolers would just be single long tubes instead of multiple thin tubes mechanically connected to fins, both of which strive to maximize surface area.

A side note, but does anyone have the part number for the OEM manifold gasket to be used with an EVO 3 intake manifold?

That port is for a banjo bolt so it is not NPT or tapered thread. I could not find where the size is referenced in other forum threads but if I remember correctly I think this is the same size as the turbo coolant banjo bolts. Also this is not an EGR, it's for the Mitsubishi factory antilag setup on the 1-3 Evo's.

what thread size is this port for the egr on the evo 3 intake manifold. does anyone know if its like 1/2 npt or is it metric?
That port is for a banjo bolt so it is not NPT or tapered thread. I could not find where the size is referenced in other forum threads but if I remember correctly I think this is the same size as the turbo coolant banjo bolts.
It's metric. M16x1.5. The same thread as 90 external oil cooler fittings but a bit shorter.

Now lets figure out how to use that port like they did in the Evos!!!!

On early 4g63, only EVO3 was equipped with that but wasn't activated. The purpose of that hole is to send fresh air to exhaust for rally style anti-lag to keep/hold the boost pressure for a couple of seconds while throttle is off. So, I guess we would be able to make it work by using an air solenoid valve to that port, some switches such as clutch switch/brake switch/RPM switch/TPS or combination of those switches to activate the solenoid valve. And a standalone ecu or ECMLink that would allow you to switch to a dedicated fuel map or send some extra fuel to exhaust, and to retard ignition timing while throttle is off.

Good stuff Hiroshi. Thanks for throwing that out there! :thumb:
If I can get my car to boost at all at the starting line, I am better than I was.
Big Turbo = Lag

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back