The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Evo 3 16G "GT"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oddly enough i ordered chineese for lunch......

Attachments

• Cragger Chineese.jpg
    Cragger Chineese.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,541
haha you are hilarious..

Guess we should all wait and see dyno numbers and stuff from vendors before we buy this new Evo16g.. or errr whatever it really is.

Yes, I think that calling it an EVO 16 GT turbo is deceiving. It makes people think that it's an Evo16 turbo manufactured by MHI. The turbo was never on an Evo III, neither is it a 16g which is a turbo designation used by MHI. A super 16g or 16g killer at least makes the buyer aware that it's not your regular 16g.

Come on now Mike and Cragger, you guys don't need to start getting racial with the "Chineese Kung Fu Evo 3 GT59er .70 A/R ghost rider model" and "made by people who make $0.40 a week", you know thats unethical.

Honestly I am not sure how well these turbos will turn out in the market, and even if it is imported from China, who is to say that they're bad? As you know, most performance parts today are made from China/Taiwan/Singapore, etc and many times, quality can vary between manufactures, not by country. I'm not sure if you guys are aware but even Turbonetics started buy parts from China. The main problem we had was that many other vendors were labeling them as Mitsubishi Brand, which they're not. Not much we can now until dyno results are in. :)

extremepsi said:
Come on now Mike and Cragger, you guys don't need to start getting racial with the "Chineese Kung Fu Evo 3 GT59er .70 A/R ghost rider model" and "made by people who make $0.40 a week", you know thats unethical.

Honestly I am not sure how well these turbos will turn out in the market, and even if it is imported from China, who is to say that they're bad? As you know, most performance parts today are made from China/Taiwan/Singapore, etc and many times, quality can vary between manufactures, not by country. The main problem we had was that many other vendors were labeling them as Mitsubishi Brand, which they're not. Not much we can now until dyno results are in. :)

My fear would not be dyno results, but reliability. The EVO 16g was designed to be a factory part and last for the life of the car. Mitsubishi spent years testing the 16g.

Are these guys using the same internal bearings as the Mitsu version? Doubt it.

Same tubine/shaft material? Probably not.

Is the cast housing going to crack in a few thousand miles? You bet.

They are obviously cutting costs somewhere, and cutting costs and a reliability should not be in the same sentence with 16g.

Nate
SBR

Unethical is selling a mislabeled turbo... Its called false advertisment. :thumb:

SlowboyCSE said:
Yesssssss, so here we see the real MHI 16G, B16G, and E16G in the comparison that we did over two years ago. (Was it really that long ago Cragger? Yes, yes it was) and we are sorry, but this comparison does not include the Chineese Kung Fu Evo 3 GT59er .70 A/R ghost rider model.

Read away!

http://www.slowboyracing.com/evo16g.htm

Cragger

Man, look at all those power/flow numbers of this amazing comparison to help people make an informed decision. :rolleyes:

Wait, all I see is the measurements of the respective wheels and weights of the turbine housings. Congrats on doing something a trained chimp could have easily accomplished.

coltboostin said:
Man, look at all those power/flow numbers of this amazing comparison to help people make an informed decision. :rolleyes:

Wait, all I see is the measurements of the respective wheels and weights of the turbine housings. Congrats on doing something a trained chimp could have easily accomplished.

A trained chimp can also use google and the volumetric effiiciency equation.

500cfm Small
550cfm Big
555cfm EVO

Asshat.

Nate
SBR

red91gst said:
A trained chimp can also use google and the volumetric effiiciency equation.

500cfm Small
550cfm Big
555cfm EVO

Asshat.

Nate
SBR

That was my whole point. Your amazing comparison gave us, nothing useful.

Thanks for reaffirming its usefulness, O friendly vendor. :laugh:

Thread will be re-opened but I better see more education/discussion of the turbo itself and no arguing/shittalking.

Theres been alot of controversy about the new GT super special EVO III 16G sold by a few shops. This is NOT a true E316G and is NOT made by MHI. The EVO 16g was designed to be a factory part and last for the life of the car. Mitsubishi spent years testing the 16g, these knock-off Chinese turbos were not tested in nearly the same fashion.

The following are the vendors that I know sell the true E316G, please buy the real deal and buy from them, ANY of them, for you and your car's sake.

Slowboy Racing www.slowboyracing.com
Forced Performance www.forcedperformance.com
Kinetic Motorsports www.kineticmotorsports.com
Mach V www.machv.com
AMS www.automotosports.com
Road Race www.roadraceengineering.com
DSMotorsports www.diamondstarmotorsport.com
Extreme www.extrememotorsports

After selling almost a half million dollars worth of EVO III 16gs last year, we know what a great turbo it is and how much the DSM community like is. It has set the standard for bolt on turbos over the past few years. I'm not downplaying this knock off turbo, I just want interested buyers to make an educated decision and to realize this and the EVO III 16g are NOT the same. We dont want this turbo to ruin the EVO 16g reputation.

Nate
SBR

coltboostin said:

What information would you like?

We have made 400whp on the EVO and love this thing. In our opinion, it is the ONLY 16g. There souldn't be much of a decision between the three.

Nate
SBR

coltboostin said:

Well thats the thing... many people do know the differences and would consider that useless info.. But for every person that knows there are 5 that have no idea there are even three different 16s available from MHI.. We made that comparision page over a year ago. Yet daily we get phone calls askin what the differences are.. So it was much easier to lay that out for people to see. So, to you it may be nothing useful, but MANY have learned from it... take it for what it is.

Mark
SBR

VENDOR FIGHT! :laugh:

i have a MHI E16G and i must admit i would rather have a mitsu turbo. The main reason is I know people who have had 16G and B16G for 6+ years and they pull as strong as the day they got them. Hell i know somebody whos had the same big 16G on 2 seperate DSM 4 years on a 1G and 1 1/2 year on a 2G. The true 16G probably can out live a roach :dsm:

DSMSpyder99 said:
VENDOR FIGHT! :laugh:

LOL no vendor fighting.

anyway, like i said above i have one here so i took a few pics, unfortunately the digi cam is dead so they are with my camera phone but you get the point.....

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

All the MHI 16g turbo's that fit on a DSM since 1995 have come with a 7 cm turbine housing standard, not a 6cm. This turbo looks real damned close to a EVOIII 16g MHI. If they were an american company they would have gotten sued for copyright/patent infringement. Its obvious they produced the turbo to sucker people into thinking its a Mitsubishi 16g. I wouldn't support ANY manufacturer that did that. My money is going to the guys that spent the money on R&D and that produced our cars. Can't a Chinese company pull an original product idea out of their ass?

prostreetdsmx1 said:
none of our customer have gotten any of these, we got it here to check it out, not to mention the fact that our supplier sold it to us as a "evoiii 16g" with a new housing.

This is what we did not want to happen to people... and why we wanted the post to come back!

MGH

prostreetdsmx1 said:
none of our customer have gotten any of these, we got it here to check it out, not to mention the fact that our supplier sold it to us as a "evoiii 16g" with a new housing.

Well shit time to bolt one on my car and see what happens :) my turbo is about to take a shit so it will be a good test. See how long it lasts. :thumb: :dsm:

Chris

I didn't start this thread to bash any vendors or to cause any hard feelings, but I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in what I'm reading. Before I started this thread last night I e-mailed The Speed Factor and here is what my email said:

----- Original Message -----
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 5:12 PM
Subject: Evo 3 16G GT

> What is the difference in the GT Evo3 16G from the regular Evo3 16G? Can I
> expect more power from it? More top end but slower spool? Any kind of info
> you can give me about it would be helpful. Thanks.

Unfortunately, the response that I received from Martin this afternoon said nothing about this turbo being made in China and not being a MHI turbo at all. Here it is:

Shane,

The EVOIII GT 16g is just an EVOIII that comes with a new turbine housing
that doesn't require porting (it's casted with less mass in the inlet) and
34mm wastegate standard. Think of it as a fully ported EVOIII16g that other
vendors sell but you don't pay anything extra for the porting.

Martin Ruiz
Operations/Sales Director
The Speed Factor
p-703-860-9303
f-703-860-9304
www.thespeedfactor.com
AIM: thespeedfactor

Now I'm not making any accusations at all, but when I read that email response I was under the impression that these GT turbos being sold were MHI turbos. I thought that in asking what the difference between the GT and regular E16G was I would have been informed that it does not carry a Mitsu badge, nor was it even made in the same country, let alone by the same people. This turbo seems to be getting advertised as something that it's not and that is VERY unfair to customers and the DSM community. Like SlowBoy suggested, I would also suggest advertising this a bit differently for those of you vendors out there that are carrying them. If I hadn't thought to start this thread I may have just spent $550 (and almost did) on a turbo that is not at all what I was under the impression I was paying for. And now to find out that the turbo was sold to the vendor under the impression that it was an MHI turbo- which proved to be incorrect- and it is now being marketed the same way is somewhat disheartening. As I said, this is not meant to humiliate, flame, or degrade anyone or any vendor, but what's fair is fair and I don't feel that this is the proper way to do business- especially on a DSM-loyal site. Let's fix what we should to make things right, and clear up exactly what is being sold for the sake of all of us- both vendor and consumer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back