The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Evo 3 16g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

94Jettameowpsst

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 30, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Just outta curiousity what kinda boost are you evo 3 owners runnin on pump? I've ran as much as 23 w/ 5-10 counts of knock and a big fire ball every time i shifted hard LOL . Actually, when does this turbo max out cause i personally i felt a difference between 22 and 23 and i cant imagine how much more i can run before it stops pullin.

94Jettameowpsst said:
Just outta curiousity what kinda boost are you evo 3 owners runnin on pump? I've ran as much as 23 w/ 5-10 counts of knock and a big fire ball every time i shifted hard LOL . Actually, when does this turbo max out cause i personally i felt a difference between 22 and 23 and i cant imagine how much more i can run before it stops pullin.
23 is max but dont do that with 91 please

LOL 91 octane
Secondly, anyone ever pushed it past that on race gas?
Lastly, when i was runnin 23psi, my car was tuned. As i said before i got minimal knock and i had enough fuel....got about 9-10mpg when i was under boost, but tahts a different story :p

Mits3gts said:
what does him having a 91 car have to do with running 23psi on the evo3?? i dont get it
cool , maybe you'll learn soon LOL

THats what i wanted to know.. I havent had enough balls to turn the boost up past 23. Its hard to believe but when launching...not dropping but slipping i still had traction issues in 1st. That was w/ 245/40/17s. Idk, maybe once i have enuf money to buy some c16 or something of that nature, ill crank her up and see what it'll do. Anyone happen to know the highest reasonable dyno number someone has reached from this turbo? Is 400+ attainable i should say?

94Jettameowpsst said:
THats what i wanted to know.. I havent had enough balls to turn the boost up past 23. Its hard to believe but when launching...not dropping but slipping i still had traction issues in 1st. That was w/ 245/40/17s. Idk, maybe once i have enuf money to buy some c16 or something of that nature, ill crank her up and see what it'll do. Anyone happen to know the highest reasonable dyno number someone has reached from this turbo? Is 400+ attainable i should say?
you probably can get 400hp, but would be much easier with 2.3l or 2.4l

And thats probably with every bolt on imaginable. Hermm...Im thinking of upgrading to a larger unit but then again i WOULD like to max out my current setup before i move on. My car is a dd...well for now unforutainately, but i was really thinking about a scm61 or a t66. I am just weighing my options...btw i know both of those turbos are capable of breaking....more like obliterating the 400whp mark, speed is my friend..thanks for all the replies :thumb: :talon:

I have read that anything past 25 psi on the evo 3 is inefficient. I ran a [email protected] with my evo 3 @ 21 psi. I am fwd with just a few bolt ons and a little tuning. I turned the boost up higher and didn't see any better times or mph but every car is different just tune for knock. When you see knock turn the boost down. You will lose more with knock, than you will gain with boost.

In the summer heat i run 17-18 psi on pump. I am also tuned with most bolts on and dsmlink. I wouldn't recommend anything higher than that, at least in cold weather. I ran 22 psi on pump in the winter a few times with no problems :) I haven't heard of many people running more than 23 or so psi on the evo b16g...Brandon [VFRacing]

marq95gst said:
What should max boost on that evo316g be then? With a 190 fp, stock injectors, smic, 3" turbo back, ngkplugs/magnecore wires?

You'll run out of fuel if you turn the boost up much at all. Got a logger?

marq95gst said:
What should max boost on that evo316g be then? With a 190 fp, stock injectors, smic, 3" turbo back, ngkplugs/magnecore wires?

i have a very similar setup, except im running a 2.5" exhaust and a 3kgt vr4 pump, a little smaller than the 190, i run 15psi, with no knock, but it will start creeping on me in third gear up to around 16 or 17 psi, then it will start knocking pretty bad.

but our cars can be different, so just watch the logger when your raising the boost much at all.

Does anybody have a compressor map for this turbo? I've always wanted to see one.

I run 25-27 psi on race gas, no knock at the track. I too would like to know at what boost the turbo becomes inefficient.

The map is the same as for the Evo8. It's out there.

i found a map but i dont know how to read it
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

and i found it on this thread, that may have some other helpful info about the efficiency of this turbo

Okay, i got that whole vertical scale understood, but i see that the bottom number is the actual airflow. I was wondering how you convert your Hz airflow to actual lb/min?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back