The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Evo 3 16G "GT"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RU2SLOW?

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 3, 2002
My House, Connecticut
I'm seeing a few vendors offering the Evo 3 16G GT model lately. From what I can gather, this turbo comes with a 34 mm flapper mod and has a higher flowing housing. But my question is what can we expect from this turbo that will be different from the regular Evo 3 16G as far as performance is concerned? Is there actually a different housing on these turbos or are they simply just ported? I'm looking to get as much out of 16G as I can if I go that route and I'm intrigued by what extra this turbo may be capable of compared to a regular E316. Any help you guys can give would be great.

From Forced Performance-"Forced Performance now offers the new EVO3 Big 16G turbochargers, compliments of the Lancer Evolution. The EVO3 Big 16G features a slightly larger compressor wheel than the previous Big 16G. It also uses an improved turbine housing design, which offers better boost control, direct fitment with the EVO3 O2 housing, and weighs in 2.75 lbs lighter than the old style 7cm housings."

not what he's asking. I'm assuming that he knows "The EVO3 Big 16G features a slightly larger compressor wheel than the previous Big 16G. It also uses an improved turbine housing design, which offers better boost control, direct fitment with the EVO3 O2 housing, and weighs in 2.75 lbs lighter than the old style 7cm housings."

I think what he is asking is that..,is the new "GT" A different housing from the one stated above. Or are they the same thing advertised differently.

So what is the deal is this EVO 16g GT a new turbo or just a ported evo 16g?

from what ive read i agree with 1badtsi in that its only ported and has the 34mm flapper

Well thats stupid that gives the misconception that its a bigger or different turbo or something..GT usually means GT30 GT35 meaning Ball bearing. When i first saw it i was like WTF is this a Ball bearing evo 16g LOL.

So, back to my original question- what kind of performance difference can be expected from theis "new and improved, lighter housing that holds boost better and the 34mm flapper that goes along with it"? Quicker or slower spool time? Higher flow numbers? Capable of higher boost levels? I dunno...I'm lookin for anything you guys can throw at me performance-wise. Thanks for the replies thus far.

okay, as far as evo16g questions go, there is a ton of info. slowboy used to have a comparison page on it. search "slowboy evo comparison" should help you in the right direction.
The e16g also has a slightly light wheel, which aids in faster spool times. The housing is better flowing, ei, will be more efficient, so in a way, more bang for your boost.
I'm sure you know what porting is and does, no need to explain that
34mm flapper mod should help stop boost creep, but is in debate right now.

Bottom line, if you're looking to get a 16g, the evo is the best. But I would not compare it to the to4b or any 50trim, so don't try.

i've done ALOT of research on the E316G and it's differences from the regular B16G, but I still am not sure- does the GT come with a different housing or is it just ported? I referred back to boostvr4's first post and I just realized that this is a quote about a regular E316G, not the GT, so I'm still somewhat at a loss.

They are the same, it is just a way to market the e16g w/ porting & flapper, instead of charging extra for both.
Now i'm not sure why or what vendor is doing it, and I really don't care. I feel that some vendors may have jumped on the e16g wagon too fast, ordered to many, and can't sell them because the 16g series that MHI released is a fad turbo that is dying fast. The new thing now is 50trims and the e16g is becoming an outdated platform.

I"M NOT BASHING, but it is something too think about. Wait 3 more months and the price of that turbo will come down, already has correct? :shhh:

16g turbos have been around well over 10 years in one form or another, they ain't going anywhere. I've not seen a Garrett turbo that can hit 15 psi by 3000 rpm on a 2.0 liter motor and knock out 400 w.h.p., especially for $560. And people are complaining?

Anbody interested in a 16g doesn't care about a 50trim nor would they usually have the mods to even push a 50trim past the limit of the EVOIII 16g. That 50 trim is a bandwagon turbo if I ever saw one.

The "GT" acronym is marketing hype. Just like G-pumper, Mutt, Green, Red, and all the other stupid renames.

just like everyone else says its just a marketing gimic..no different than a regular evo3 except that it comes already ported and with the 34mm flapper..that is all

From what we have seen... the turbo other vendors are calling "Evo III 16g GT" version are cheap knock off's from China... BUYER BEWARE...... They are all over EBAY, etc... and are NOT MHI turbos... We have one on the way here to inspect, and once we do we will give a full write up.

MGH

I figured that this was somewhat of a gimic to begin with, but I wasn't sure. Some of the vendors- I won't name any names- kinda make it seem like it's a superior version of the regular E16G which kinda threw me off. Thanks for the heads up Mike, and thanks to all of you for clarifying this whole thing for myself and anyone else looking at this turbo.

Hello all DSMtuner members,

There seem to be many mis-conceptions on this new "GT" model Evo 16G. Hopefully I can help explain to everyone what this turbo is and what it's all about. We will be posting pictures of this new turbo on our website: www.extremepsi.com with comparisons so everyone can make their own judgements on this turbo.

First of all, it is NOT a Mitsubishi turbo like it's counterpart, the EVO III 16G. It is a completely new turbo based on the previous EVO III. What vendors (including ourselves) were previously selling were EVO III 16Gs with an aftermarket 34mm WG flapper and port job to enlarge the exhaust housing to 7cm. (Un-modded "Mitsubishi" EVO III 16Gs are still available with factory 6CM specs and WG flapper).

Second, these turbos are NOT ported. They are "factory casted" with a 7cm housing and come with a 34mm WG flapper.

As with any new product on the market, consumers are always skeptical and should be. This turbo has already been dyno tested by Turbocharges.com and has generated many benefits. Spool up is just as quick and it actually made more HP on the same car than any of the other previous 16G models. They also come with a 1 year warranty. Downsides are that they are not manufactured by Mitsu.

For more information, please check our website later for detailed pictures. Hopefully this helped everyone with questions out.

Regards,
Extreme PSI

extremepsi said:
Hello all DSMtuner members,

There seem to be many mis-conceptions on this new "GT" model Evo 16G. Hopefully I can help explain to everyone what this turbo is and what it's all about. We will be posting pictures of this new turbo on our website: www.extremepsi.com with comparisons so everyone can make their own judgements on this turbo.

First of all, it is NOT a Mitsubishi turbo like it's counterpart, the EVO III 16G. It is a completely new turbo based on the previous EVO III. What vendors (including ourselves) were previously selling were EVO III 16Gs with an aftermarket 34mm WG flapper and port job to enlarge the exhaust housing to 7cm. (Un-modded "Mitsubishi" EVO III 16Gs are still available with factory 6CM specs and WG flapper).

Second, these turbos are NOT ported. They are "factory casted" with a 7cm housing and come with a 34mm WG flapper.

As with any new product on the market, consumers are always skeptical and should be. This turbo has already been dyno tested by Turbocharges.com and has generated many benefits. Spool up is just as quick and it actually made more HP on the same car than any of the other previous 16G models. They also come with a 1 year warranty. Downsides are that they are not manufactured by Mitsu.

For more information, please check our website later for detailed pictures. Hopefully this helped everyone with questions out.

Regards,
Extreme PSI

If you want, I can tell you the place that makes them, in China... because I sent a turbo there almost a year ago for them to look at.... was not happy with there service, or there product, and did not pursue this turbo... and now somehow it has surfaced again... I am not doing this to "bash" anyones product, but people should know what they are getting would cost me about $200.00 to buy, vs.. $470.00 for the real MHI version... which one would you want on your car?

Just what we need, more people selling SSAUTOCHROME type products in the DSM marketplace!

Everyone selling this turbo, please call it something other than "Evo III" because it is misleading, and gives the real thing a bad name, maybe try "2 cent piece of crap, made by people who make $0.40 a week" turbo....

MGH

Yesssssss, so here we see the real MHI 16G, B16G, and E16G in the comparison that we did over two years ago. (Was it really that long ago Cragger? Yes, yes it was) and we are sorry, but this comparison does not include the Chineese Kung Fu Evo 3 GT59er .70 A/R ghost rider model.

Read away!

http://www.slowboyracing.com/evo16g.htm

Cragger

wow, had me fooled, I thought it was the same turbo with a different name. I'll wait till the numbers are out before I sling anymore poop :laugh: I heart SBR :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back