The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Evo 3 16g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well im a noob when it comes to compressor maps. Exactly how do you get the amount of airflow corresponding to the efficiency+boost pressure. For instance I run 22psi...so where does that put me in the airflow perspective?

hakcenter said:
The evo8 is twin scroll, and certainly @ 25psi I was in inefficient land, yet it kept going.
The Evo8 has a twin scroll turbine housing which has nothing to do with the comp. map. Sure, the bigger turbine housing helps out the Evo guys but the E3 16g can still flow just what it says on the map. Which is about 42lb/min as Josh (ShapeGSX) has proven in real world testing. At 25psi. you are just getting to the goods with this turbo. It may be blowing some hot air but that's what a nice big front mount is for!

Those numbers show it going off the map to the right. The PR of 30psi. is still on the map vertically. The little red line on the map posted on the previous page is from Josh trapping a 118 with boost spikes to 30psi and settling at around 26psi. IIRC. Clearly he is not going off the right of the map at boost pressures much higher than 25. I don't doubt that you calculated those numbers right, they just don't hold up in the real world. Maybe the smaller turbine housing doesn't let the engine flow enough to push it that far? Maybe the engine just won't flow that much. For one reason or another their is no way anyone with a E3-16g will be flowing 52lb/min at 30psi.

Well, that post w. all the boost-lb/min conversions solved my questions :D thank you i really appreciate that. But when your turbo is out of its efficiency, that jsut means its blowing hot air correct? Well my fmic is pretty hefty so how much of a diff would that make? (without the use of an intake temp sensor and you just guesstimating?)

94Jettameowpsst said:
Well, that post w. all the boost-lb/min conversions solved my questions :D thank you i really appreciate that. But when your turbo is out of its efficiency, that jsut means its blowing hot air correct? Well my fmic is pretty hefty so how much of a diff would that make? (without the use of an intake temp sensor and you just guesstimating?)
Unless it's WAY off the map I think most people put too much into the whole efficiency thing. Yes it will blow hotter air, but like I said, that's what your big intercooler is for. My old small 16g had a peak effieciency of 77% I think. Their is no way that it made more power than my E16g (peak efficiency of 74%) at ANY boost level. Up here where out track is (5800ft) we run way higher PR's than people do at sea level and theirfore run out of the most efficient level much quicker. I still ran faster the more I turned the boost up on any of the turbo's I've had. I'm probably not going to get away with 30psi like shape, but the fastest E16g time up here was at 25psi, which is probably higher than 30psi. as far as comp. maps are concerned.

hakcenter said:
Anything over 25psi is off the map.

Only at 7500RPM. At lower RPMs, you can safely run a lot more boost than that.

Look at the compressor plot for the Evo III posted in this thread. The red line on it is a plot of my mass airflow vs the pressure ratio from a datalog where I ran over 30psi in the lower RPMs, and around 26psi in the upper RPMs.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

That doesn't look "off the map" to me. :D

Just to add to the data. I have run up to 27psi on race gas dropping to 24psi by redline. I plan to push it a little harder and see what I can do with it. :D

Efficient or not the turbo seems to like higher boost levels pretty well. I have logged about 41lbs/min. so far and it still has more in it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back