The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

evo 3 16g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twisted69

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 31, 2003
New_HampshireUS
i have heard that the evo 3 16g is a bit bigger then big 16g. i was wondering if the evo is a direct bolt on and need no extra parts. this is for a 1g gsx eclipse

The same mods you use to bolt on a "normal" 16G you use for the EVO...BUT...the flange at teh bottom where your DP bolts up to is at a funny angle...so you will have to modify that aspect of your vehicle...

When I had my EVO O2 Housing I had an exhaust custom fabbed up for it...

But only the DP flange will be different...

the evo 16g is a little better, but IMO not worth the extra trouble for the LITTLE bit of extra performance.

i would get the evo 16g over a normal big16g anyday...lighter compressor wheel, lighter unit all together, as well as many other things which can be found on slowboyracing.com

Well, when I had my Evo 16G I got the entire turbo...including the O2 housing...and that didnt mate up prefectly to my 3 inch DP...the flange wasn't the same size... and just barely cantered in a different direction on the Housing vs. the DP...you can make it work so dont really worry about it...but just for comparisons sake...check out this link...

RRE Exhaust Link...

Scroll down a lil and it will tell you about the EVO turbos...

if you have any more questions let me know...

Arif.

So if I were to get a Evo 3 Turbo and the install kit it won't bolt straight up to my turbo back 02 eliminator exhaust?
I can't imagine why it wouldn't. The only thing that makes the DP not fit exactly is the Evo O2 housing. You can use a Evo III 16g with your stock O2 housing (ported like hell, I hope) and your DP will fit fine. If you put an Evo O2 housing on a T25, you will need a new flange welded on your DP to make it fit or buy an RRE (or any other manufacturer that does it) DP that's made to fit the Evo O2 housing.

Now that's the fittment issue. Altogether, the Evo O2 housing just flat out flows better for whatever turbo. So it's a matter of what your willing to sacrafice: some money to fix the DP flange or some flow to not mess with the DP or an exhaust shop.

so would the evo316g mate up fine with a 3 inch rnr dp with an 02 elim?

Originally posted by Chadillac2000
so would the evo316g mate up fine with a 3 inch rnr dp with an 02 elim?

Yes, that is what I just installed on my Talon. A EvoIII big16g mated to RNRs 3" o2 eliminator downpipe. Although, when I first got the pipe the o2 sensor did not fit, I had to have it relocated a bit.

I was told by SlowBoy that the Evo is a direct bolt up (with the 2g install kit) with my set up and that is, the Apex N1 Exhuast, RRE 3" (custom) downpipe with the Evo O2 Housing ported. I have not got the turbo yet, but this is what I was told. We will find out-

The evo3 16g according to norco mitsubishi is a truck turbo that is very close to the original evo3. Cory at road race confirmed this partially.

Its also about as close as you can get to the 20g without being one.

Its a part throttle monster, yea its a direct bolt on for a 1g. I'm putting dsmturbo's (todd) slowboy g54 this week though. If anyone wants it let me know, almost 5,000 miles on it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back