The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

small 16g, big 16g, or evo 3 16g?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91-gsx

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
San Jose, California
which 16g turbo is better for high boost, efficiently. the small 16g, big 16g or the evo 3 16g?
i have heard that at higher boost levels the small 16g is actually more efficient then the evo 3 16g, is there any truth to this? please do not give me any answers like, "the evo 3 is what everyone has and it flows more, so ofcourse it is better!" please give me some evidence to back it up, whether it is personal or factual.
thanks for the help

I've had both the small 16g and the evoIII 16g. The evoIII is a much better high boost turbo, though both are good choices. If I was in the market for a 16g style turbo again I wouldn't consider anything except the evoIII.

well it shows that the small 16g flows 520cfm while the big 16g flows 512cfm. i thought that the big 16g is supposed to flow more? the evo 3 ones are not showing up. so the small 16g is not more efficient then the evo 3 16g at higher boost levels?
thanks for the help

For translation purposes, the evo316G is capable of flowing 550 cfm and is rated as such. I never had the other 16G variants but the e316G is a great turbo, and since it's becoming the staple "first bigger turbo" mod, the price of the e316G can't be beat :thumb:

It should be a no brainer really, the price differences aren't enough to warrant getting a smaller variant 16G turbo .

I have to agree with Tom on this one. I inherited my GSX with a Big 16G and it's served me well, but for the money, the EVO III really is a champ. Mid to high 11's are possible and low 12's would be a no brainer on heavy boost and a strong tune. When it comes to making more power efficiently, more airflow is the key and while you can push the 16G variants hard (I run 25-26psi daily), an EVO III would have the highest flow rating of the three. From a technical standpoint, I'm way off the efficiency maps, but the turbo is still making useable power. As with any turbo, you'll hit the law of dminishing return when it comes to adding boost, but the EVO III is still hands down the best of the three turbos you mentioned.

Hope that helps,

Andy

I currently have a small 16g that was on the car when I purchased it and it really has quite a punch at 17psi, I'm sure an evo 3 16g would only be so much more fun.

i always thought that the evo3 16g was the best of the 3, but i have heard on one of the threads that the small 16g is actually more efficient at high boost because the compressor wheel does not spin as fast as the evo3 16g at that same boost level, has anybody heard of this? and i am talking high boost like the guy was comparing the 2 because he said at the same boost level the evo3 16g wheel was spinning at 180,000 rpms, but at that same boost level the small 16g wheel spins at only 150,000 rpms. wouldnt this information mean that the small 16g could theory be pushed to perform better then the evo3 16g?
this is intersting because we might find something new out, i am in no way saying one is better then the other. i am simply asking these questions because i wanted to get an evo3 16g, but read something about the small 16g being the strong underdog.
later

ive got to agree with tom too. ive had my eIII16G for a while now and dont think i could live with anything less. it doesnt cost much more than the lesser 16g variants and can definately outflow them. just my .02

Since all 3 are the same price the EVO III is the obvious choice. Newer design, lighter housing, lighter wheels-EVO III. mark

I am currently running a S16G. You can take it to higher boost levels but at the sacrifice of a very hot intercooler (if you are running a SMIC). I swapped to a FMIC and the results are nice. Almost stock spool and nice throttle response. It is great for the street especially if you blew your 14b up like i did. After almost two years now I am looking towards a larger turbo.

91-gsx said:
i always thought that the evo3 16g was the best of the 3, but i have heard on one of the threads that the small 16g is actually more efficient at high boost because the compressor wheel does not spin as fast as the evo3 16g at that same boost level, has anybody heard of this? and i am talking high boost like the guy was comparing the 2 because he said at the same boost level the evo3 16g wheel was spinning at 180,000 rpms, but at that same boost level the small 16g wheel spins at only 150,000 rpms. wouldnt this information mean that the small 16g could theory be pushed to perform better then the evo3 16g?
this is intersting because we might find something new out, i am in no way saying one is better then the other. i am simply asking these questions because i wanted to get an evo3 16g, but read something about the small 16g being the strong underdog.
later

This makes no sense to me, its seems to be the exact opposite. The evoIII has a larger compressor wheel how would the smaller 16g be more efficient at higher boost levels?

The small 16g is overlooked many times because "small" is in the name but it is a very good turbo. But I see no reason why it would be more efficient than an EVO III. Where did you get the information that you posted about? The EVO III will make the most power of the three turbos. I run an EVO III Big 16g and I couldn't be happier with it.

The small 16g is overlooked many times because "small" is in the name but it is a very good turbo. But I see no reason why it would be more efficient than an EVO III. Where did you get the information that you posted about? The EVO III will make the most power of the three turbos. I run an EVO III Big 16g and I couldn't be happier with it.

i read about it in one of the other threads, and at the time it surprised some other people too. i know the evo 3 16 is supposed to be the best, but maybe at certain boost levels, and like you said it is overlooked a lot of times because it is labeled "small." i am planning on getting the evo 3 16g, but i would really like to know if there is any truth to the above statement, that maybe at higher boost levels, the small 16g flows more, or is not pushed as hard to maintain the same amount of boost as the evo 3 16g. maybe i read some bullsh##, but i just want to know if it is possible.
later

Nope, it was a bunch of bull. An EVO III will flow close to 42lbs./min. while the others are in the 36lbs./min. range (all of them will go higher to a certain point). Rest your mind and go with an EVO III as you planned and you'll be perfectly happy with your decision.

Andy

I think people get off on the wrong track by just looking at the compressor maps and ignoring the hotside. The sweet spot of a small is 77%, a big is 71%, and a E3 is 74%.

Where the "more efficient at higher boost" came from is a mystery though.

Seth

what exactly is your goal with this car? I mean do you want a fast daily driver, or do you wanna race it or what? If you plan on doing some racing or wont to run 10s I would consider doing supporting mods and getting a bigger turbo from the start. Dont do like so many people and buy a smaller turbo and all the mods for that turbo and want more in a month. Then your just buying parts after parts. It cost a little more but I think its cheaper in the long run.

i wanted a mitsubishi tubro because the evo 3 would last a while, they are very reliable. i did want to go with a tubro that has enough juice to be able handle 450whp without having to max out my setup. i have the fuel for it. i am not too sure about these small turbos just yet, i love the 14b because it hits hard, and the evo3 16g hits even harder, but i hope that i can run 11's with it as well. the way i plan on doing this with pump gas and water/alcohol injection. but i realized that most people that run 11's on the evo 3 16g(the few that exist) do it on race gas. i would love to run 10's but unfortunately i do not have the money for such dreams.
thanks for the help

You wont get 450 whp out of an EVOIII 16g, if that is your goal, you should go with something else. You can run 11's on it, and if you are good I dont see why you couldn't with pump and alky injection but it will be harder and you are going to have to drive the wheels off it.

For 450 whp and 11's on pump gas I would buy a FP Green.

Good luck

its not so much the amount of power that i wanted to make, but i want to still run a mid 11 sec 1/4. that is possible in my lighter 1g with the impressive amount of power you are making on your evo 3 16g(major props man). but i want to achieve mid 11's with pump and water/alcohol injection. i also like the evo3 16g because it is long lasting and reliable, but probably wont last long if i ran the amount of boost that you do on the street. i am just not sure yet, i got the rebuild kit for my 14b so i will be running that for a littl while. i will port the housing and clock the turbo so that i can shorten the intercooler piping. it would be nice to run 11's with the 14b, which is what i really want to do with water/alsohol injection. water is not used much on the 14b, but water allows you to run tons of timing advance, which is what you want on a 14b, along with a ton of boost...LOL.
thanks for the advice, and keep it coming

I'm also interested in one of the 16g turbos, though my purpose is different. Right now I have a 14b, which is a lot better than the T25, but after 4 years I'm looking for a bit more (maybe get into stock Evo or Sti territory). The car is a daily driver with 213k miles on it (still pulls hard), and I don't really plan on racing, but I would like the option of having some extra power on hand.

Lethal GST said:
I'm also interested in one of the 16g turbos, though my purpose is different. Right now I have a 14b, which is a lot better than the T25, but after 4 years I'm looking for a bit more (maybe get into stock Evo or Sti territory). The car is a daily driver with 213k miles on it (still pulls hard), and I don't really plan on racing, but I would like the option of having some extra power on hand.

I think you would be pretty happy with the extra power of the evoIII. With most of the mods listed in my profile & boost set @ 17-18 I've pulled from a roll, on a sti that had some bolt ons (not sure what all, only saw hks catback, but was lowered, rims, etc) & a 2000+ corvette. This was just after the fmic install in the fall so the car wasn't tuned 100% and I had some boost leaks.

Dude, get you a bigger turbo. If you are on a budget {like me} look in the classifieds they are full of great deals. I also cant figure out what is so wrong with using race gas or bigger turbos. I mean is there some kind of prize for the guy that runs 11s on pump gas and a evo316g? http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/timeslips.php ----look what these guys are using, get a more efficient turbo.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back