The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

T-chargers EVO 3 GT

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wanted:SWGSXAWD

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Fairfield (Cowtown), California
I read the other EVO3 16Gt thread and it was closed, so please keep it clean. Is this the same turbo that was cheaply made and talked about in the other thread, here's the description from a very well known So. Cal vendors website:

"T-chargers EVO 3 GT
This is the stock turbo from the Lancer EVO III. Outwardly they look like any other 16G. They use the same compressor housing, TDO-5 exhaust wheel, and the same 7cm volume exhaust housing. Until you pop off the compressor housing... HELLO! Big Wheel. Flows 550 cfm vs. 505 cfm for the regular 16G.

The normal 16-G compressor wheel is 1.83" at the inducer and 2.36" at the exducer. The Big 16-G is 1.89" at the inducer and 2.68" at the exducer. That is just over 5/16" (8mm) larger than the normal 16-G exducer and the same size as the GReddy 18-G (inducer diameter is only .10" smaller than a 18-G). Direct bolt on for 1G cars, you need a standard 16-G Install Kit for 2G cars. Since it uses the same exhaust wheel as a regular 16G, you need to clip (grind away a few degrees) the exhaust wheel to get more air flow out of the motor and take full advantage of the big 16G. This makes for more top end power but creates a little more lag (time to make full boost). Un clipped, it will still be more efficient than the regular 16G with the bigger compressor wheel spinning slower to make the same boost.
EVO 3 GT Turbo Ported w/ 35mm Big Flapper $580
Sorry we do not offer clipping on EVO 3 Big 16G turbo"

After I ordered this turbo and and other items from the vendor (Friday), I wanted to check out this new "GT" turbo I had ordered which I thought was a MHI turbo (because it was never mentioned that it wasn't), so I checked out their site. Once I did more searching I found the other thread but thought it was funny that this turbo is mentioned as a "T-chargers" turbo from turbochargers.com, but is promoted as having a bigger 35mm flapper. I also noticed the note at the end about the "no clipping" on this turbo. Just curious if anyones already bought this and what their impressions are of this one, since I'm really leaning towards cancelling the turbo off of my order, thanks.

Its not an MHI turbo, its a generic turbo that is manufactured in China.

You paid the same amount for this thing than you would if you bought the real thing. Cancel your order.

All this info is a direct quote from Road Race Engineering's website. So, if you bought if from them...YOU ARE absolutely fine. I don't know why everyone feels the need to scare you. NOW, if you didn't buy this from road race engineering then something screwy is deffinitely going on, becuase all of that info is word for word from RRE. RRE is legit, and if you don't believe me, check out all the feedback on this site about them.

That's what's really confusing me. They (RRE and Buschur Racing) are the cornerstones of the DSM market for parts and service :thumb: . I just can't imagine them selling something they wouldn't put on a magazine car, let alone their own. I'm thinking about asking a few more questions about the turbo, but I'm pretty sure I'll just go with something that's been around a little longer and more proven unless they've already done some pretty intensive testing already(still confused :confused: ).

Get the real evo 3, don't buy marketing 101 hype

Damn, Buschur's even selling them for the exact same price and there's even less of a description OMG.

Whats wierd is that all the DSM sites, have taken away the good ol Evo 3 turbos, and replaced them with these...dunno why....but seems like its just a bit better.... and cheaper...

has anybody called RRE or Buschur to see why they switched to this evo 3 gt turbo? The RRE site even says that they don't sell the evo 3 big 16G anymore. And the pics on the RRE site are the old ones of the evo3 big 16G, look at the caption.

I'll be talking to them tomorrow about my order, as well as Logic Performance. It seems that Logic Performance has a car that's got one of these "GT's" on it, so hopefully they'll have some good info about it. SBR claimed to be doing some tests, but nothing was ever said about the results (I'll probably call them too).

demonchild said:
YOU ARE absolutely fine.
RRE is a good company, but I question their motives when they bought into this. I got am email form the company selling these wanting me to sell them on Ebay. Too shady for me.

SBR said the were junk.

The "GT" EVOIII sold by TC.com and Buschur ARE EVOIII's with a port job, and wastegate enlargement.

The EVOIII GT sold elsewhere are the chinese clones.

SpoOLxExO said:
The "GT" EVOIII sold by TC.com and Buschur ARE EVOIII's with a port job, and wastegate enlargement.

What kind of proof do you have of this?? Even RRE calls it the T-Chargers EVO III GT

SpoOLxExO said:

I was told these were the same chinese knockoffs. The vendors just get them for next to nothing. Other shops didn't want to touch that crap.
Why in the hell would they assume the name of a lower quality turbo if they just ported it and added a larger wastegate? I don't do a turbo upgrade and then call my eclipse a kia rio.

RUN FAR FAR AWAY!!

I've noticed that there are two "GT" EVO turbos as well. One is just a ported EVO3 with the 34mm flapper, the other is the clone. The "proof" is in the castings. The compressor side of the clone says EVOIII GT instead of TD05H and the turbine side of the clone says AR.70 (and it's cast without the step so that it doesn't need to be ported). The comp. housing on the clone is also a dull grey instead of the bright, shiny silver-aluminum color of the real MHI turbos. Someone should sticky a vendor list of who's selling the real EVO turbos and who's selling the clones before this gets outta hand.

thegreatms said:
has anybody called RRE or Buschur to see why they switched to this evo 3 gt turbo? The RRE site even says that they don't sell the evo 3 big 16G anymore. And the pics on the RRE site are the old ones of the evo3 big 16G, look at the caption.
I saw a few in the back.Both the evo gt casted and the MHI ported GT .I wouldn't say "switched."Just more variety.

I wanted to check out this new "GT" turbo I had ordered which I thought was a MHI turbo (because it was never mentioned that it wasn't),
It never mentions that it was either.Like the usual ,something new and its gotta be crap.Has anyone tested it?I seen one and I'd run it if that's what I wanted.Who cares if it's made in China, so are Chinese people.I don't see them as being generic humans.........If it's a sorry turbo then let it out there,but that can't be done unless tested .Right?
RRE is a great shop and stands behind everything they have sold me. So I think that applies to the masses also.

A shady company with a bad reputation starts selling turbos that vendors like SBR won't touch with a 10 foot pole. Then they charge MORE for this cheap turbo,, why in the hell would you buy one???

originally posted by Slowboy:
If you want, I can tell you the place that makes them, in China... because I sent a turbo there almost a year ago for them to look at.... was not happy with there service, or there product, and did not pursue this turbo... and now somehow it has surfaced again... I am not doing this to "bash" anyones product, but people should know what they are getting would cost me about $200.00 to buy, vs.. $470.00 for the real MHI version... which one would you want on your car?

Just what we need, more people selling SSAUTOCHROME type products in the DSM marketplace!

Everyone selling this turbo, please call it something other than "Evo III" because it is misleading, and gives the real thing a bad name, maybe try "2 cent piece of crap, made by people who make $0.40 a week" turbo....

MGH

Where on RRE's site does it say they don't offer the real Evo3 anymore?
Did the supply of MHI Evo3's suddenly dry up? Or did they suddenly jack the price or no longer sell to third party distributors anymore?

Black95TSIawd said:
we all know its not an MHI turbo but if your quoting the china build and yada yada from SBR, youre following a bad source. too much drama i tell ya.

I am not quoting from a business, I am quoting from a DSM only site that people like shep, dre, and curt brown frequent on. I'll take there word for it. :thumb:

Where on RRE's site does it say they don't offer the real Evo3 anymore?
right here:

oh... your right, i read it wrong. It says "Sorry we do not offer clipping on EVO 3 Big 16G turbo" next under the price of $580.

For some reason I read that wrong last night. But, that does add interesting questions: they call it a evo3 big 16G under the price and in the caption under the pricture; but they call it a EVO 3 GT in the title and in price line. Also, I think the two large paragraphs are exactly the same as before. They even have the link to there warrenty page right under the pictures where it says: "RRE Mitsubishi Turbo Warranty Information
All new Mitsubishi Turbos carry a one year warranty from Mitsubishi Heavy Industries."

It is misleading to put a link to this warrenty next to a turbo that is very simliar in apperance and name to a MHI but is not and therefore not under this warrenty.

It seems like they went in and changed the name in the title and the price line and nothing else.

We know it's not an MHI and we went round and round in the other thread.

Wanted:SWGSXAWD

What are looking to find out in this thread that wasn't adressed in the other one?

L2RTSiAWD said:
What are looking to find out in this thread that wasn't adressed in the other one?

Nothing, I guess. Except why would respected vendors like Buschur and RRE be willing to pass this off as an EvoIII when it clearly isn't. Especially when another vendor like SBR chose not to sell it. I'm glad I got mine before this happened. It looks as if pretty soon fewer vendors will be willing to sell you a real MHI EvoIII.

RRE's "...HELLO! Big Wheel." description has been on their site for years, they just change the heading and the price line to match the "latest" turbo. It used to be their ad for the Big 16G, then it was for the EvoIII (they changed the first sentence then, but the rest of the paragraph STILL discusses the Big 16G, not the Evo or the "GT"). They just added T-chargers Evo III GT in place of Evo III 16G and changed the price to match. RRE's a reputable shop, but their website maintenance leaves something to be desired.

I really would like to know if any of these shops have even tried this turbo on a real car, yet? Where are the dyno sheets? Where are the "seat of the pants" impressions? Enough speculation on whether this is crap or not, let's see some results from the shops that are hawking these instead of the real MHI Evo III turbos. Better yet, lets see a comparison...turbo for turbo on the same car, no other mods. The price is ok, but I'm concerned about longevity and performance? Who's to say this isn't from some Chinese factory that was just assembling bicycle frames last month for Trek? What about the wheels inside? Did the Chinese take a crash course in aerodynamics, or did they miss something important? Who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back