The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Does timing belt tension change with oil pressure?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbodhi

Proven Member
Oct 18, 2015
Olathe, Kansas
I noticed that my belt was loose when checking oil and coolant levels the day after replacing my water pump. I had to drive the car for an emergency and checked it when I arrived but it was tight again. Makes me wonder if oil pressure is involved.

No relationship between TB tension & oil pressure (or coolant). The tension can be slightly different at different times due to rotation & the position of the cams when the motor is turned off. This is assuming the TB tension is set correctly & your hydraulic tensioner is in good working order.

I thought so and felt stupid for asking but you never know until you do I suppose

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back