The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Checking Interest: 1g & 2g Fan Shrouds

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95blackGsTurbo

DSM Wiseman
Aug 10, 2003
Algona, Iowa
Here at work we make a lot of these for hot rods and one off jobs. It would essentially be a peice of vacuum molded plastic that would attach to the radiator and help out a TON with radiator temps. I have seen over 10*-15* temp. drops just from using one of these as opposed to just attaching the fan to the radiator. I can cut out almost any size fan that fits too. Dual 10" 12" single 14" or 16". Staggered, you name it. Would have to become a Freelance Vendor of course and I would price them very inexpensively as well. Anyone interested in these at all? I can also mount fans on them as well if requested.

Would you be able to make a small pusher and shroud that way we could get rid of the pullers.

Ok. So it is impossible to make some type of shroud for the front of the radiator to mount a fan to that way air is passing over the whole radiator not just a small circle where the fan would sit?

Ok. So it is impossible to make some type of shroud for the front of the radiator to mount a fan to that way air is passing over the whole radiator not just a small circle where the fan would sit?

Not really. Since it will cover the radiator, it would hinder air flowing across the whole radiator when driving.

As for width it will be thin. I should be able to get it made right at an inch thick MAX. Going to shoot for 3/4-7/8. I realize that room is needed when dealing with big turbo cars. But it shouldn't be an issue. Going to need to do some testing just to make sure big turbo's aren't going to melt the plastic LOL.

Shrouds would only work with puller fans, not pushers.

The type of fan has nothing to do with it, you can make a shroud for a pusher although it will require more fabrication.

I had one made from a machine shop that went out of business unfortunately and i sold it when i needed money.

The type of fan has nothing to do with it, you can make a shroud for a pusher although it will require more fabrication.

I had one made from a machine shop that went out of business unfortunately and i sold it when i needed money.

That makes no sense. Then there is no air flowing across the radiator unless it is coming through that little hole. So when driving down the road, air is just slamming into the shroud and missing half the radiator. And that fan will only blow straight through. It won't draw air across all of it like it does when it pulls air.

Let me put it this way, HELL YES I am. I just wonder how much room it will take up? And will the plastic be able to handle the REALLY high heat temps?

That is what I am going to be testing. If not I can probably fab something out of sheetmetal but of course that's more expensive.

Yes i would be interested in having one. it would be convenient if they work with the stock fans.

something to consider though. I have thoroughly melted the blades on the stock fan that is mounted in front of the down pipe. so whatever type of plastic you plan on using, be careful about the heat ratings. if you get a product together please do post technical specs, knowing the heat range of the material would be the deciding factor between using yours and making my own out of aluminum, in my case anyway.

Friend of mine made one for his stock rad a few months back.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

MOAR pics of that car please!! i want to know more about the tube frame in his front end.

^^^ These, if I am not mistaken are made by member/ moderator here - Paul Volk AKA 99gstracer.

To the OP, sorry to jack your thread.

About the fan shrouds, it's a great idea, BUT.. Most of the times the LICP/especially on 1G's/, it's almost touching the radiator....

Otherwise, shrouds are extremely effective.

P.S. Sorry, Wes. By the time I was done you already posted....

That looks nice but it doesn't look like he spaced it far enough back. So it will just pull air through the fan area instead of over the whole surface.

Would these still drop the estimated 10-15* if you're running a big front mount?

One thing for some of you with enough heat to melt the stock fan might want to consider, is a real coating or turbo blanket etc. It doesn't melt on a stock setup, because that much heat is not making it that far. I know even with my Evo III 16g, if it's unprotected that shit gets HOT. I am even about to put a turbo blanket on. And I have a lot more clearance than some of you guys with the bigger turbos.

That said I do agree though that the plastic should be able to withstand at LEAST as much as the OEM could. If you can't find anything that can match that or best it. Then IMO it should be aluminum or not make the product at all.

P.S. Ducting helps a lot too......all that said, if it's a nice product and works well, I still want one!

^Agreed

My setup is a simple little t28 but with active anti-lag that setup produces A lot of heat, at the time i just had a simple single layer heat shield on the ported stock manifold. Since then I added a several layers of fiberglass blankets riveted between another layer or aluminum. of course all that does is keep more heat in the turbo.

I will be wrapping the elbow and down pipe, i was waiting till after the salted roads would be an effect. might be a good project for this weekend.

Either way you swing it though i think you will have to plan for very high engine bay temps with plastic shroud.

Have a 2g sheetmetal one done. Just need to tig it up.

I should be able to get it made right at an inch thick MAX. Going to shoot for 3/4-7/8.

That looks nice but it doesn't look like he spaced it far enough back. So it will just pull air through the fan area instead of over the whole surface.

If you think his is not deep enough you'll have issues.... His is 1 inch deep plus the gasket thickness.
Even with 1 inch the lower charge pipe does not fit properly anymore.

Just a heads up.

Bringing this up again. Im attaching a picture of a design I believe may work, though it is rough, and youd definitely need a vehicle to test fit. (I also have no intention of making this myself, but would like to see it made, if possible) This would be for 1G cars. Im building a car right now that will have FMIC and AC (street car in FL, which I also like to take to the track from time to time). AC with a FMIC is obviously a problem, and Ive had poor luck with 12" slim fans that barely move any air, despite their claimed cfm ratings, which are obviously always inflated to far beyond what the fan is truly capable of in the real world, resulting in me just running the factory radiator fan and no AC fan.(Never even tried running the AC like this, so who knows what would have happened, though Im sure it wouldnt have been good).I have a friend who uses 14" Autozone fans on two of his cars. You have to do some minor trimming to the body of these fans to get them to sit flush with the radiator, but its no big deal. One car has FMIC and no AC, but the 14" fan keeps his temps around 185- 190, even on a hard pull. The other car has AC, but no FMIC, but on this car he's got a 14" radiator fan, with a 10" fan for the AC and the AC seems to work well. Clearance is always an issue on the AC fan side of things because of the lower fmic pipe, so using one fan capable of handling all the cooling would be nice. Anyway, would someone care to chime in and give an opinion as to whether or not the shroud design in the attached photo could allow a 14" fan to cool the entire radiator?

Attachments

• fan shroud.jpg
    fan shroud.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 198
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back