The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Checking Interest: 1g & 2g Fan Shrouds

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm very interested in this 100%!! One thing i want to point out that's been mentioned is that shrouds aren't nearly as effective in a pusher type scenario. WHile they will cover most of the surface when the fans are on due to the resistance of the air having to go through the fins and cores, it will build a small amont of pressure and disperse around to the rest of the area, just without asa much force as it has directly in front of the fans.

However, a good shroud on a puller setup makes a world of difference. It would also be my gues that most guys running pusher fans are running turbos so large than they probably aren't seeing much DD duty, and probably aren't retaining A/C since the pushers would take the place of the condensor (although there's exceptions to everything)

A good low profile shroud should allow most people to run most any turbo they please with some good high CFM fans and keep a satisfactory amount f cooling and overall temps.

But with what's been said, there's no pleasing everyone, so i say make the fans that are in budget and people that' just aren't happy with any optin given always have the option to make their own :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I like it..But shouldn't you just use two pusher or puller fans infront of the radiator itself.Especially for those running FMIC's with not alot of airflow because of the FMIC being in the way??

^^ Ideally, yes, but it all comes down to clearance, really. It seems that we have a choice between either two fans without a shroud as pullers if we have AC, or two fans as pushers if there is no AC condensor, but both setups leave a lot of open space around the fans in question, or we can have one larger, higher output fan, within a shroud that in design can possibly cause the fan to pull air through the entire radiator. With the design above, you would of course want the fan to be constantly running, or to at least have an adjustable fan controller.
Also, id be interested in the possible incorporation of hinged vents on the AC side of the shroud, which could perhaps be caused to open by the air rushing through the radiator when the car is moving at speed. This is of course useless if your front end isnt ducted properly. Many people have put a "lip" between the radiator and intercooler which hangs lower than both and at an angle which helps force air under the bumper to bypass the intercooler and go straight into the radiator, which seems to help lower temps as well. I am working on a setup for the car Im building now which should allow air to go through the front of the bumper and over the intercooler, as well as allow air to go between the FMIC into the radiator on the bottom, and instead of just sealing the intercooler to the radiator all the way around,I will seal the sides and top of the FMIC to the rad, but basically only half so that the top half of the radiator can still get air that is unblocked by the FMIC, if that makes sense, but I think that in order for this to work, I will have to cause a low pressure situation in the engine bay by making a sheetmetal plate to go from the front crossbeam to at least the oilpan. Heres a crappy pic that I hope will help anywayOMG

Attachments

• crap.jpg
    crap.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 103
Bringing this up again. Im attaching a picture of a design I believe may work, though it is rough, and youd definitely need a vehicle to test fit. (I also have no intention of making this myself, but would like to see it made, if possible) This would be for 1G cars. Im building a car right now that will have FMIC and AC (street car in FL, which I also like to take to the track from time to time). AC with a FMIC is obviously a problem, and Ive had poor luck with 12" slim fans that barely move any air, despite their claimed cfm ratings, which are obviously always inflated to far beyond what the fan is truly capable of in the real world, resulting in me just running the factory radiator fan and no AC fan.(Never even tried running the AC like this, so who knows what would have happened, though Im sure it wouldnt have been good).I have a friend who uses 14" Autozone fans on two of his cars. You have to do some minor trimming to the body of these fans to get them to sit flush with the radiator, but its no big deal. One car has FMIC and no AC, but the 14" fan keeps his temps around 185- 190, even on a hard pull. The other car has AC, but no FMIC, but on this car he's got a 14" radiator fan, with a 10" fan for the AC and the AC seems to work well. Clearance is always an issue on the AC fan side of things because of the lower fmic pipe, so using one fan capable of handling all the cooling would be nice. Anyway, would someone care to chime in and give an opinion as to whether or not the shroud design in the attached photo could allow a 14" fan to cool the entire radiator?

I'm lovinig this design :thumb:. I think the larger the fan you can fit there the better. The stock fans are estimated to pull over 1000cfm a piece so to match this you would need a 15 inch or larger slim fan. Also incorporating a draft flap like the one in this video would be nice.

Radiator Fan & Shroud CFM Demonstration - YouTube

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back