1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Building a stronger 5 speed transmission

Posted by FAQGSX222, Oct 28, 2019

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. Ben-Stian

Ben-Stian Proven Member

Joined Aug 23, 2006
    NORWAY, Europe
    It been many years ago, and doesnt seem I can go so far back in my Paypal history to find the excact pricing... he was active @ evo123.net. From memory I think it was about 1000 euro for the 4th gear. I can guarantee you it wasnt even close to 2500-3000 because I had bought the PPG gearset instead then:) I have no idea what gears/materials he use, but it looked great. Contact him for pricing.

Seems like the evo123.net dont work anymore... Here he is: https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Automotive--Aircraft---Boat/Boldt-Mechanics-243641719142381/

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2019
  2. jakelandry

jakelandry Proven Member

Joined Oct 13, 2009
    Minden, Louisiana
    There was some brief discussion of matthias' gearset over on the link forums around 2015 or so. Just find his username and search his threads. From what I recall there were some issues with it and the whole project went silent. That could have all been worked out since then though.

4K  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    11.410 @ 125.490 · 2G DSM
  3. Canadian_CD9A

Canadian_CD9A Proven Member

Joined Feb 10, 2012
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    The 'issue' happened on an Australian forum. It was a 3/4 gear set that was badly galled on the teeth and looked haggard after very little usage. Matthias openly shows sets that broke in his 1300-whatever HP drag car, too. In that case, the issue is raw power. I have a theory that the case in Australia happened due to heat and inadequate fluid, perhaps improper break-in as Matthias implies. I know the person who owned the failed set and think he's a great guy, he's understandably unhappy because the failure happened pretty quickly under low-stress conditions (read: boost) and he feels that Matthias didn't adequately step up to fix the issue. As far as I know, it's still business-as-usual if you want a set of gears and in the end, I wouldn't let that failure stop me from buying a set if I was in the market. I would, however, be very cautious about how I treated the car. It should have the appropriate fluid for the power level and in my opinion, any car that has the power to need straight-cut gears should be running a cooler to keep the temperatures in check, and keep that cluster lubricated at all times.

4. baldeagle727

baldeagle727 Probationary Member

Joined Apr 14, 2013
    san antonio, Texas
    TeamRip Engineering does not do staged rebuilds anymore, I believe I got the last one he built, but if you go to http://www.teamrip.com/tech-info/, I think you will find plenty of great info. The clutch and flywheel that I used I did on John's advice. I have a stage one to stage two build, but my 1991 drivetrain was upgraded to 93-99, as far as parts are concerned for 90-91, nada, zip, not available. I also upgraded to the 4 bolt rearend for my 1991. Love this forum a lot of great info here...thanks to all........

5. DogWhistle

DogWhistle Supporting VIP

Joined Sep 13, 2012
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    The bolding is something I added, but as Canadian said, torque is a transmission's enemy. Today, I saw the announcement about the new Ford electric Mustang, with 1,000 ft lbs. of torque, and a 6-speed manual transmission. I wonder how they have designed theirs and what we can learn from it that will help improve ours?

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/electric-ford-mustang-lithium

Drag Race Build 1K  3

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  6

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder N/T
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM

2K  0

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    manual · 4G63t Swapped

3K  6

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    385 whp · 378 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  6. ishnish

ishnish Proven Member

Joined Jun 26, 2011
    Modesto, California
    Any updates to this that people may want to add? I think it's a valuable thread that should be kept well-updated honestly.

Street Build 1K  9

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  7. twicks69

twicks69 Supporting Vendor

Joined Mar 12, 2004
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    The only gearset I installed of Matthias' lasted a very short time and it stripped 4th completely. I have it at the shop and would have to take pictures.

Drag Race Build 8K  12  76

9.499 @ 155.00 · 2G DSM