The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

best tuning components

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justcjnow

Probationary Member
Aug 22, 2004
waterville, New_York
this is my brothers account but here are my problems. i have a 95 eclipse gs with a t25 turbo kit. all i have for tuning is a fuel injector controller so far. im getting a wideband but i was curious as to what would be the best tuning unit for my application. would a safc 2 suffice or should i get an aem ems or something like that? also i have a backfire problem when you let off the gas and it has a hesitation when you mash the gas. any suggestions? its not runnin rich as far as i can tell. i check the plugs constantly. also i have an msd dis 2, forged internals, port and polish, stage 2 clutch, and a missing link. any help would be greatly appreciated.

The best tuning device would be aem or some other big name ems. If you want to save money look into megasquirt. The safc is not good for the 420a's. But since you have the msd dis 2 controlling spark it might work. The problem with the safc 2 is that it fools the computer to add or subtract fuel by messing with the map sensor. This can advance timing under boost and make the motor go boom!!!
As for your problem with the backfire we need to know what fuel setup you are currently running and maybe we can help you out.

your probably running rich, using that fuel injector controller and no wideband at the time would probably lead me to believe that your running rich. Backfiring is usually un burned fuel going through the exhaust and igniting after the original burn processs

stay away from the safcII on the 420a when boosting, because the S-AFC works by modifying the stock MAP signal. As you know, since our cars are naturally aspirated from the factory, our MAP sensors only operate in the vacuum range. Hence, the S-AFC can make changes to the fuel curve under vaccum, but while in boost, it's relatively useless since the fuel curve is now being modifyied by other means (FMU, S-FMU, MS, etc.).

Whether your car needs an FCD or not isn't relavant because either way, the S-AFC is only effective in the vacuum range, where the FCD isn't even activated.

What is the difference in using a megasquirt and using a wideband? And is there any cheap ems or do you get what you pay for? The fuel setup is stock injectors with 2 extra ones and a walbro 255.

don't get it twisted.

a wideband measures the air/fuel ratio of the car.

A megasquirt system is a tuning device used to alter the air/fuel ratio, and other things.

Megsquirt and spark (MSnS) is the cheapest stand alone you will find, but please do your research before jumping into something like this, its not plug and play.

If you are new to tuning and it sounds like you might be, look into Hahn Racecraft's portfueler. The 8 Injector setup (portfueler) is much less complicated than a EMS and allows you to pursue most horsepower levels.

You really will need to invest in a wideband which is designed to measure the Air Fuel Ratio in your exhaust. The Stock o2 sensor does not give you enough feedback to tune with.

Also you need to have a pyrometer (EGT gauge). You want to be able to see the exhaust gas temp to avoid running lean. This will be a secondary measurement to the wideband. Exhaust gasses higher than 1600 generally speaking are bad. just use that as a rule of thumb. Its not always true, i know that confuses you. IF your EGT's are higher than 1600, you need to be able to watch and datalog your Air Fuel Ratio very closely. Do not tune like this until you are very comfortable and experienced with your own setup.

Have some type of way to datalog your driving. Most widebands have this capability. This way you can reveiw your driving and engien characteristics after you go out driving or after your passes at the track.

Terry

Sorry for grave digging but I'm a search nut LOL. What is the best wideband for logging when you have MSnS because I'm trying to setup everything so as soon as PnP comes out I'm set to logg my a/f and tune?

+1 on the LC-1. You get it much cheaper because it doen't have a display (that i know of) and you just wire it into you're MSnS or what ever you're susing for data logging. You can also send the signal to some of the boost controllers out on the market so you cans ee it in real time while you're driving (i highly recomend this way so you can see it and know to let out if you see a lean condition, and do it without always having a laptop with you.

Yeah I just ordered the the LC-1 w/ x16 display today with the controller so when MSnS Pnp comes out I can just get the analog hook it up to the second out put and log it. Best yet is I don't have to waste space in my tripple gauge pillar with a blink show gauge:notgood:

I don't know about you guys. But AEM EUGO FTMFW!!! :thumb::rocks:

I'll wait a year or two for MSnS. I can see it being overpriced. I'm not paying $1,000 or so + injectors + rail+ fuel lines, etc... Maybe a group buy or big sale will be my cheap stingy way to go...

I don't know about you guys. But AEM EUGO FTMFW!!! :thumb::rocks:

I'll wait a year or two for MSnS. I can see it being overpriced. I'm not paying $1,000 or so + injectors + rail+ fuel lines, etc... Maybe a group buy or big sale will be my cheap stingy way to go...

They alread said less than a grand and tuning tools don't go down in price. Dsmlink has dropped maybe 30 bucs since it came out. By the way you won't need a new rail and all that other stuff unless you were trying to go from stock NA to all out turbo setup that would require more fuel than like a stage 1.

Edit: By the way you can't log with the UEGO into MSnS i don't think which is why I didn't get it.

They alread said less than a grand and tuning tools don't go down in price. Dsmlink has dropped maybe 30 bucs since it came out. By the way you won't need a new rail and all that other stuff unless you were trying to go from stock NA to all out turbo setup that would require more fuel than like a stage 1.

Edit: By the way you can't log with the UEGO into MSnS i don't think which is why I didn't get it.

You don't need your wideband to be compatible with MSnS. It won't change readouts at all. You could use ANY wideband with ANY PnP systems..

You don't need your wideband to be compatible with MSnS. It won't change readouts at all. You could use ANY wideband with ANY PnP systems..

I'm aware of this but when you tune correctly you make a pull then go back and look over the whole pull and evaluate where you need to change your tune. Without the ability to logg you a/f ratio your relying on your memory of what it was at a given rpm point. When you logg you can look at it and go at 4300rpm my a/f dropped to x:x so I need to add/subtract fuel. With your aem even though I would agree it looks better in a pos you don't have another output to wire it into MSnS so you can't logg where as the lc-1 can ect..:thumb:

I'm aware of this but when you tune correctly you make a pull then go back and look over the whole pull and evaluate where you need to change your tune. Without the ability to logg you a/f ratio your relying on your memory of what it was at a given rpm point. When you logg you can look at it and go at 4300rpm my a/f dropped to x:x so I need to add/subtract fuel. With your aem even though I would agree it looks better in a pos you don't have another output to wire it into MSnS so you can't logg where as the lc-1 can ect..:thumb:

I see. Good thing most tuning shops have a laboratory WBo2 for most their tuning.

I see. Good thing most tuning shops have a laboratory WBo2 for most their tuning.

Very true. But I only go to the dyno to make power runs I do all my own tuning on the street as that's a more realistic enviorment than wheels that roll. The dyno is a pissing contest/bragging right tool. Tuning on the street is how you determine if your actually making your car faster.:thumb:

I think the AEM unit has a nice "bling" factor, but it's not the greatest. I've read some reviews of a bunch of widebands compared side-by-side and Innovate always came out on top.

Megasquirt reads pretty much any wideband signal as long as its linear from 0V to 5V. I know the AEM UEGO has such an output, but with Innovate you can tweak the output, if need be, so each point along the scale corresponds to a specific lambda reading. There were quite a few complaints in the past where others just couldn't get the AEM UEGO and MSnS-E to mesh. The readings in MS logs weren't corresponding to the display on the gauge.

With that said, theoretically AEM should work with MS just fine, as should Innovate, Autometer, PLX, JAW, etc.. I personally like the adjustability of the LC-1, the low cost, and the range (that's another thing to look at... how far in each direction the controller can read).

Slippi, I think the XD-16 gauge is a damn nice gauge; almost as pretty as the AEM. Too bad it's ridiculously expensive... I'm trying to gut an Autometer Phantom blinky-light AFR gauge, hijack the LED's, then add a blue three digit display in the center. It won't have some of the nice features as the XD-16, but I only need the gauge to display current AFR/lambda.

Very true. But I only go to the dyno to make power runs I do all my own tuning on the street as that's a more realistic enviorment than wheels that roll. The dyno is a pissing contest/bragging right tool. Tuning on the street is how you determine if your actually making your car faster.:thumb:

I'd keep that little tidbit on the "dl." I rank street tuning right up there with street racing, unless you have someone else driving the car, carefully obeying traffic laws, while you do all the tuning. Sitting there by yourself tweaking tables on the fly, or even making adjustments after 0-50 pulls on public roads seems ridiculous.

Oh, and "log" is only spelled with one "g." :D

VelocitàPaola;151476573 said:
I'd keep that little tidbit on the "dl." I rank street tuning right up there with street racing, unless you have someone else driving the car, carefully obeying traffic laws, while you do all the tuning. Sitting there by yourself tweaking tables on the fly, or even making adjustments after 0-50 pulls on public roads seems ridiculous.

Oh, and "log" is only spelled with one "g." :D

There's nothing wrong with a 20-65 pull threw a gear on a expressway which is 2 seconds from my house at 2am which has a 55 or 65mph speedlimit and regular drivers who complain about us import guys do 90 :rolleyes:. I agree that the xd-16 is nice but i don't need blinking lights to tune with or drive with just a number display and a hook up so I can lo"G"ROFL

VelocitàPaola;151476571 said:
I think the AEM unit has a nice "bling" factor, but it's not the greatest.

Uhm, it's 6 gauges in one. I don't think the LC-1 can equate. But in all respect I can see the value of the LC-1 for it's price and effectiveness..

Actually, the Innovate XD-16 is also "six-in-one," as it comes with a variety of different bezels and faces. The XD-16 can also be configured to read other things besides AFR, like boost, temperature, etc.. I think it far surpasses the AEM gauge in terms of functionality.

There's nothing wrong with a 20-65 pull threw a gear on a expressway which is 2 seconds from my house at 2am which has a 55 or 65mph speedlimit and regular drivers who complain about us import guys do 90 :rolleyes:.

And what about minimum speeds? A lot of highways around here have a minimum speed of 40mph. What happens when you slow down to begin your pull and someone clipping along at 65mph doesn't notice and smacks into you.

What you do on your own is your business, just keep this thread on topic now.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back