The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Best engine Managment for turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VelocitàPaola;151238192 said:
I don't think he was comparing the user compatibility of the two, but rather the ease of install and cost. MS is more difficult to tune, but it has many more parameters to define. However, MS can cost less than the S-AFCII and wiring it up isn't much more difficult than the S-AFCII (maybe just more time consuming).

I have seen how megasquirt is tuned but have never purchased are you guys saying megasquirt cost less than 150 cause that's about how much you can get a safc for of course it doens't matter seeing how you can't really use one but still

You can get a kit to build yourself for about $200. Pre-assembled units obviously cost more.

You can build a megasquirt for under $100 easy...like 70 somethin I believe. Just takes some soldering skills and what not. Granted, that's not a task for just anyone, but it can be done.

WTF

Ok... everyone who's *actually* built a Megasquirt, raise your hand...

The board, processor, and MAP sensor (all in the "partial" kit from B&G, and not available separately) cost roughly $98.00 (MSRP from B&G). The rest of the components (resistors, transistors, capacitors, sockets, etc.) cost at least another $90-$100, and that's wholesale from Mouser or Digi-Key.

Okay well the point I was making was for our cars specifically since the thread said Best Enginemanagement system...

So lets say you spend $100 on SAFC or $150 on SAFC 2, your getting a piggy back system that advances timing on its on, and only has an 8x8 map to select from based on Throttle Position (Alpha N) To control timing you'd spend another $250 on an MSD unit.

With megasquirt, you order one from paul shipped to your door for $400, you purchase a coolant temp sensor and intake air temp sensor for about $50, you do some much needed reading on a unit that controls both fuel and spark, and has the ability to be even further upgraded later. (Megasquirt 2 anybody)....This system runs your map based off of boost instead.

So
SAFC2 + MSD = 400
Megasquirt = $450

I dunno..maybe thats just how I justify spending my money on megasquirt, and the potential my car now has

OMG ....SAFC BLOWS! all there is to it. You can't compare an safc and msd ignition even combined to megasquirt. If you want to buy an SAFC go buy a 4g63 powered DSM with MAF or buy a honda!!

OMG ....SAFC BLOWS! all there is to it. You can't compare an safc and msd ignition even combined to megasquirt. If you want to buy an SAFC go buy a 4g63 powered DSM with MAF or buy a honda!!

Good thing you posted that we may have missed out on some good helpful insight :rolleyes:

By the way just because a device doesn't work as good with one style car does not mean it blows.

Good thing you posted that we may have missed out on some good helpful insight :rolleyes:

By the way just because a device doesn't work as good with one style car does not mean it blows.

The only reason the comment was so expressive is because otherwise people don't seem to listen. We have went severely in depth on the capabilities of the SAFC on our cars, on this site and 2gnt. You can not, and you will not be able to adjust fuel settings period when positive manifold pressure (boost) is applied, while using an SAFC. You see, you can only use an SAFC to control your idle and fuel trims while under vacuum, because our MAP sensor doesn't read above 0 vacuum. When talking injectors, 550's are practically your limit to get the car to idle when using the SAFC, and a SFMU is still required in conjuction when you are using this size of injector. I'm just trying to help people save thier money. Look here: To safely run the only set-up that is SAFC beneficial is already a waist of money, unless you already have the parts, or you can get them super cheap used. (i.e. SFMU $299 and SAFC $250 and injectors and fuel line $250, and wideband $279. Thats $1078.00 for merely a limited "OK" fuel system. Not to mention the limitations of it are 20psi on a 16g. Why try and make something so inferior work when there are so many better, more versatile options available for half the price?

You can tell from my previous post, that when i said the SAFC blows, I was specifically refering to its capabilities on our car. 4G63 dsm's and Honda's can utilize the SAFC alot better than we can. I know this because, I have a friend with a supercharged civic and the only tuning equipment we need for it is an SAFC and a wideband.

Honestly, researching the proper fuel setup for the turbo'd 420a is really confusing.

I hear so much about "to hell with the safc!" and things like "you need a (S)FMU".

I've talked to one company that built a 420a running 20-something PSI, and they had the FMU, the MSD stuff, ect. And they tell me, "you're going to need to get one of the MSD items to run properly".

But then I talk to another company who built a 420a also running 20-something PSI, and they simply used SAFC, 880 injectors, walbro fuel pump, and AFPR.

It's really hard to know who to listen to so keep that in mind when people seem to ask the same questions over and over.

But then I talk to another company who built a 420a also running 20-something PSI, and they simply used SAFC, 880 injectors, walbro fuel pump, and AFPR.

Heh heh, I believe they confused the 4g63 for the 420a. If not, then they know magic.

MB

There are many fuel management options available, some better than others. I posted a list somewhere about the components involved in different fuelling systems. I can't find it now. I'll stumble across it eventually.

You guys realize this thread is about 3 months old...

It shows that he at least searched and revived an old thread, as opposed to starting a new thread about something than has been gone over so many times. I see it as an effort made on his part.

Due to the fact that I left the DSM community for 3 months, I refrained from tuning the Stage 5 portfueler that I have. I have not tuned it one bit since I recieved it. Runs fine, just before boost at about -1hg I lean out pretty hard, but the portfueler can be tuned to stop that. If you are looking to just buy the control module, I might be in the market, as I am looking into MSnS to replace the portfueler. But I love my 1:1 RRFPR

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back