The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Aaron's 1997 GSX - Street/AutoX/Track Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I took one last cruise this weekend and then tucked her away for the winter tear down and build.

IMG_20131019_152238_474_zps2ed8e41e.jpg

It looks great. I'm on a search of my first also

Thanks man! It will be worth the wait for the right car.

UPDATE: 11/2/2013

Got into it last night for a few hours. Most of it was just tinkering, but I started ripping parts off for the winter build.

IMG_20131101_235531_155_zps55607869.jpg

I also picked up a '95 AWD EProm ECU!
I was originally going to flash using a black box ECU. But after reading many threads and opinions, I decided to go DSMlink!
I cannot wait to start tuning!!

2013110195083651_zpscd58bd8a.gif

Last edited:
Not much to update today.

Been very busy with other things and the weather turned to our typical cold as hell.

Some new development though:
- Going externally gated
- I should be picking up some wheels here very soon.
- Hopefully starting the tranny drop this week.

UPDATE: 12/4/2013

I picked up a set of Avenger 17s yesterday for an absolute steal. Going to find a decent set of used tires and have a this be my off-season setup. The wheels need washed and sanded, then I will be painting them. Not sure what color yet, might just go with a nice Gun-Metal.

I sold my old wheel setup, and I have been on the hunt for some 17x9s for a while now. I've looked at XXRs, DRAGs, Enkei, Rota, etc. Just not sure which to go with. I have a specific look im going for and some colors id like to stick with. Finding the right wheel in the right price range is hard. But my patience has paid off big time in the past, so I am not rushing it.

Are you planning external off 02 or external off manifold? What setup are you thinking?

Joel

I will be running a Tial setup off the O2 housing.

UPDATE: 12/5/2013

I should be picking up Link V2.5 today and some 750 injectors for a steal of a price. Will report back once confirmed.

I will also be getting some pictures up.

Nice,

I'd reccomend punishments tial/02 housing combo. I picked it up and it's a thing of beauty. Can't wait to run it :) The MVS is also incredibly small.

Joel

20130910_171041_zps5b157c76.jpg

That looks like a nice setup! I picked up a used setup to help keep the budget in check. Im very much looking forward to running external.

UPDATE: 12/6/2013

I picked up DSM Link V2.5 w/ and ECU yesterday!! Soooo pumped to have it all up and running.
I also picked up some brand new FIC 750s!

I also picked up a '95 AWD EProm ECU!
I was originally going to flash using a black box ECU. But after reading many threads and opinions, I decided to go DSMlink!
I cannot wait to start tuning!!

I'm currently trying to figure out which of these is best for me. Could you point me to the thread that helped or do you have any insight? I was looking to save money but I like the amount of people familiar with on these forums DSMLINK.

I'm currently trying to figure out which of these is best for me. Could you point me to the thread that helped or do you have any insight? I was looking to save money but I like the amount of people familiar with on these forums DSMLINK.

Honestly, I have read A LOT about both tuning platforms. When it came down to it, I picked up Link V2.5 for a great price (will upgrade to V3 later). Also, with link, not only do you get the amazing amount of people for help, but you also have one, and only one program to use/tune/log. With a flashable setup, your using a few different programs. Which isn't a huge deal really, but could be annoying.

Honestly it was a tough choice. And when you think about going with an Evo8 ECU and flashing, it makes it even harder.

I probably didn't help you much. haha You already have a '99 flashable Black Box. I would try it out and see how you like it.

UPDATE: 1/3/2014

Well, now that the holiday season is over, im planning on getting back into the garage.

I recently picked up a Modded 1G BOV, so ill actually be able to hold some damn boost.

Ill be taking and posting up some pictures of the progress.

UPDATE: 1/11/2014

Whats up everyone. Ive been doing some little tinkering with the car lately.

Ive been trying to mount up my 20g, and i've run into a problem. The 20g compressor housing is hitting the coolant I-Bolt under the water pipe. I've dented the water pipe a little, as needed. But now, the bolt is in the way. I was thinking about grinding the bolt down a bit. But wanted to bring it up her first to see what ideas are out there.

Recent Purchases:
- Aluminum Radiator
- New Radiator Brackets
- Aluminum Spark Plug Cover
- Modded 1g BOV (finally will be able to actually hold some boost)

Great work on the car, I love the lamp, smart move getting a new dd, I hated having a project/dd car. Right now my dd is my 350z, mostly stock. That way I can take my time and build my gst right, on e the gst becomes a gsx and is ready for dd, I'll begin building my 350z dream car.

Not bad times with the set up you where using, keep upgrading and the sky is the limit!!!

Last edited:
You might have to grind the bolt a little. How much do you think you'd have to grind off? I know there's a thread on here about possibly having to do this but I can't find it right now.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Honestly, I think you would need grind off a good amount, maybe half of the existing bolt head.

My only other option would be to use a different manifold, maybe go to a stock unit. Idk yet.

If you grind it, I would make sure you can still get a socket on the head of the bolt or grind the head all the way off incase you ever need to get the pipe off for some reason. I'm not sure if that bolt is a plug also so I don't know if just taking it out would be a good idea.

If you grind it, I would make sure you can still get a socket on the head of the bolt or grind the head all the way off in case you ever need to get the pipe off for some reason. I'm not sure if that bolt is a plug also so I don't know if just taking it out would be a good idea.

The bolt in question is an I-Bolt for the coolant.

Last edited:
Great build i love it :thumbsup:
Keep it coming!

Thanks man! And I will.

Got to some more tinkering done yesterday. I took out my stock ECU. Installed my EPROM. Hooked everything up and got her connected! This is really exciting.

IMG_20140113_210717_210_zps0a4954af.jpg

UPDATE: 1/24/2014

Extreme PSI has a great deal on Clutch Kits right now. So I picked up a Competition Stage 3 Clutch Kit, with a 2600 PP, and Segmented Ceramic Street/Strip Disc. I also picked up a new OEM TOB and clip, as well as a Competition Clutch Fork.

Currently, me and my buddy Justin (99ECLIPSEGSXDSM), are maybe another hour of wrenching away from having my tranny out in my garage. We plan on getting the tranny out today/tomorrow and hopefully having it back in as well.

Only real issue we have run into thus far, was the driver side axle being seized in the hub. Going to try to leave it in, and just wiggle the tranny out.

Everything has been smooth sailing.

I'm hoping to get her all buttoned up, tranny wise, this weekend so I can work on the other little things. I'm very much looking forward to starting her up and playing with DSMlink here in a few weeks!

Last edited:
UPDATE: 1/25/2014

And the tranny is out! Great Success!! Going to spray it down with some degreaser to clean her up a bit.

IMG_20140124_211438_710_zpspbxwf0vo.jpg

So much room without that thing in the bay.

IMG_20140124_211447_912_zpsil5phzq2.jpg

Got to pulling the pressure plate off. Revealed an interesting 6 puck clutch that was on the car. Couldnt find any brand on it. No clue.

IMG_20140124_220612_011_zpslokkkh8a.jpg

Anyway, got to looking at my flywheel. I have had people tell me to have it resurfaced, but I have also seen that when using a ceramic clutch, resurfacing was not needed and that I should just hit it with some emery cloth. Its not cracked or in bad shape at all. There may be a slightly uneven surface, but that would be gone during the break in period.

Thoughts?

IMG_20140124_215131_087_zpsrrpwoo0o.jpg

IMG_20140124_215147_380_zps1yd0nlle.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back