The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Aaron's 1997 GSX - Street/AutoX/Track Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UPDATE: 8/22/2013

New Master Cylinder is installed. Still have some issues, but no more ghost pedal!
I think it needs a real good bleed, as I did the install and bleed by myself.

Also, my fiance and I moved into a new place, so Wendy finally has a garage!

ResizedImage_1377136720941_zpsdd85bfcf.jpg

Big thanks to Justin! (99ECLIPSEGSXDSM) for cutting and welding my stock shifter. The shorter throw really made a difference!

I recommend anyone get a hold of him for this service.

UPDATE: 9/5/2013

Tomorrow, my buddy Justin (99ECLIPSEGSXDSM) and I are going to get my coilovers installed! Very VERY pumped about this. Cannot wait to have a nice aggressive, sexy dropped 2g.

I also order all the components to do my timing belt. Gates belts, pullies, water pump, etc.

Once this is all done, I hope to hit the last few AX events for this season.

UPDATE: 9/10/2013

Coil Overs are on!! :rocks:

And at stock height the car feels AWESOME! :hellyeah:

No to take some time and dial in my drop, then an alignment.

IMG_20130906_192738_457_zpsf04ea1f4.jpg

Parts still to install:
- Fuel Filter
- EGR Block Off
- BISS Screw
- Throttle Body Gaskets
- VC Gasket & Metal Half Moon Seal
- Timing Belt Kit (Gates)
- Water Pump (Gates)

Coil Overs are in and they are amazing!

I have been playing with the ride height and I think I have the car where I want it.

Once I get her cleaned up, ill snap a few shots for your viewing pleasure.

Cars looking good, i love that red on these cars. Also what coil overs did you go with, I'm looking at a few sets myself. My spring/strut combos getting old.

Nice progress man. I cant wait to get home to get all my parts that have piled up on the car. How about some pictures of the new suspension set up?

Cars looking good, i love that red on these cars. Also what coil overs did you go with, I'm looking at a few sets myself. My spring/strut combos getting old.

I picked up a used set of Ground Controls, Eibach Race Springs and AGX Adjustables. Couldn't beat the price and they are working great!

Nice progress man. I cant wait to get home to get all my parts that have piled up on the car. How about some pictures of the new suspension set up?

She is in dire need of a wash. Will get some pics up soon. Car looks very good IMO.

Love the build man very fun and interesting to read! Great pics too!

Thanks man!

Last edited:
UPDATE: 9/25/2013

Ran in our regions 7th (i think) event this past weekend. We had a total of 12 runs for the day on a very nice course.

My best time of the day was a 40.3. This was on all seasons and dealing with a random misfire. The Evo's and STi's of the day where running anywhere from 35.8 to low 39 second times, running actual AX tires. FTD went to my buddy Tim's EvoX running a custom tune and 275 Z2s.

I feel very good about my times, now I just need some plug wires to actually get a clean run/event in.

My buddy Justin (99ECLIPSEGSXDSM) ran his first event after attending many. His best time was a 39.8 on allseasons running a T28 turbo.

For some more information on his first time and a few pictures of my girl Wendy, check out his thread.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/hangout/470222-first-autocross-ever.html

I will be getting more updates soon as some things are going to get changed/fixed.

Wanted to get some updated pictures of the car with the coilovers/drop.

She needs a good wash.

I will be switching over to 17x9s at some point as well. The current wheels are a tad to narrow for the 245 tires. I get a lot of sidewall flex during AX.

IMG_20130925_172547_104_zpsa1e39162.jpg

IMG_20130925_172558_943_zps3960c5ae.jpg

Wideband has been delivered. Should be tackling this job today or tomorrow.

IMG_20131002_084000_708_zps896c162c.jpg

Also finished up my Battery Relocation last night.

I removed the battery tray, support, charcoal canister, and finally got around to do doing the STM EGR blockoff plate. Cleared up a lot of vacuum line and made for so much more room.

I also got my new Valve Cover on with a new gasket. I did the metal half moon seal and some RTV Blue to help with my oil leak problem. Its been a huge PITA trying to stop that stupid seal from leaking.

NGK wires are also in now. Im hoping this cures my hesitation problem during my AutoX runs.

IMG_20131001_193310_903_zps3b2d3bf3.jpg

Battery moved to trunk. I cut out a small square in the corner so the battery would sit flush inside the pocket.

IMG_20131001_193857_527_zps0d86379b.jpg

I then made a slice to run the battery tie down strap. This wraps around the battery and pull is tight into the pocket.

IMG_20131001_195038_271_zps2b86f278.jpg

Drilled a hole for the Positive line and installed the trunk panel.

IMG_20131001_200145_271_zps5fa3c26c.jpg

I still need to tweak a few things. I want to run the lines so they are not as visible and I'm going to hook up my voltmeter. But this gives you an idea.

IMG_20131001_203158_472_zpsfd31e935.jpg

UPDATE: 10/7/2013

Got busy last week and installed some parts that were piling up. With the fiance out of town for work, I had her car to DD while Wendy was torn apart.

I mounted and ran wiring for the MTX-L gauge and the Oil Pressure gauge.

Boost on the Left, Wideband in the center, Oil Pressure on the right.

IMG_20131005_124416_990_zps3146897b.jpg

MTX-L Wideband installed in the front O2 spot. I made a custom heat shield for it. Works very well.

IMG_20131005_153530_759_zps08e08f6d.jpg

IMG_20131005_153536_967_zps6034887e.jpg

Ran the MTX-L cable.

IMG_20131005_124404_355_zpsd9db18fb.jpg

I then made a longer wiring harness for the gauge. I bought a real cheap Heat Shrink tubing kit for wiring at harbor freight. This stuff worked AWESOME! I def recommend it for any wiring.

IMG_20131005_124446_157_zpsd060acf4.jpg

All the wires installed.

IMG_20131005_135946_572_zps440a17d7.jpg

Spliced the Brown wire in to simulate narrow band.

IMG_20131005_153544_923_zps4753b2be.jpg

Up and running!

At WOT im seeing a solid 10.3 - 10.7 AFR. During cruising AFRs are around 14.5 - 15.5. Off throttle is obviously 22.4 leaned out. This is on a stock fuel system, all bolt ons with a 14b running 15ish PSI. I know I have a few small boost leaks to chase down as well.

My only "issue" would be that when you first start the car, since the wideband has to heat up, the car will immediately throw a code for the front O2. But, once the wideband is up and running, i'm logging a solid front O2 voltage and she runs just fine. Once I clear the code, it doesn't come back.

One way I have been counteracting this CEL issue, would be to insert the key, turn it to the on position, not starting the car, I then wait the 45ish seconds for the wideband to heat up, once it reads, I start the car. Since it was already heated, it take much less time to reheat and then read. I'm finding that using this method has been working 60-70% f the time.

th_VID_20131005_153838_167_zpsd1d9b96b.jpg

We also had our regions last AutoX event yesterday. The forecast all week was rain, rain, rain! So everyone was prepared to be wet, cold, etc. We even thought about postponing. Well, we had a few drops in the am during setup and then clear and sunny skys! Was about 80 all day. Awesome weather for our last event.

This is me and my buddy Justin (99ECLIPSEGSXDSM). Got there bright and early to help with course set up.

IMG_20131006_073443_897_zpsb6186ea0.jpg

The event went very well overall.

My best time was a 61.023. This was again with horrid all seasons and a random as hell mis/hesitation. Most of the higher HP AWD guys with AX tires were in the 55 to 58 second range. FTD went to a AX prepped 05 STi, he ran a 54.3, and then in a fun run after the event ran a clean 53.3!

There were a number of WRXs, newer ones that Justin and I both placed better times than.

I know some pictures were taken, as soon as those are up, I will make sure to post them.

In the meantime, I will be getting Wendy ready for the coming off season/winter. As well as planning out some new parts and a path to be more competitive next season. The biggest things on the list will be getting the Timing belt and all components done and setting the car up with new wheels/tires.

Last edited:
Latest picture of the engine bay.

I still need to clean everything up a bit. Still a plethora of color, hopefully it will be more universal in the near future.

Engine1072013_zpsd9b5e57f.jpg

Just finished reading the entire thing. Looks like you've been having a blast. Can't wait to do my build over the winter and do some more autox events.

The only thing missing that I found out of this thread is an interior photo showing off the best colour interior these cars came with ;).

Joel

Just finished reading the entire thing. Looks like you've been having a blast. Can't wait to do my build over the winter and do some more autox events.

The only thing missing that I found out of this thread is an interior photo showing off the best colour interior these cars came with ;).

Joel

Thanks man! Lots of fun for sure. I'm very much looking forward to next season.

And I agree. The Black/Tan interior is for sure the best IMO.

Had my old 13g wheel laying around and decided to us it for something unique.

IMG_20131010_075846_470_zpsb5c99816.jpg

If your wondering were the 13g turbo went...I give you turbo Lamp. #becauserace...lamp?

IMG_20130910_204304_394-1_zpsccccecba.jpg

Back to reality. I had been battling a clutch issue since I bought the car. Full thread here:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/drivetrain-tech/458677-possible-clutch-fork-problem.html

Turns out I never actually looked at my clutch fork position. Stupid me right?

IMG_20131009_180435_463_zps39b80dbd.jpg

Sooo....yeah.

Last edited:
Well, its official. Wendy will be a Spring/Summer only car from now on.

Allow me to introduce you too Cavity.
2000 Chevy Cavalier - 131k - new tires, new battery, new alt, power windows/locks, 30+ MPG, automatic, reliable, A to B car.

IMG_20131016_123952_474_zpsc882ee87.jpg

Winter Build

My winter build for Wendy will consist of:
- New Clutch/Flywheel
- Wheel/Tire Upgrades
- Overall Engine Bay clean up
- Fuel/Tuning Upgrades

And of course, pics will follow the progress.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back