The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Aaron's 1997 GSX - Street/AutoX/Track Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin, thank you. I have actually been trying to find a good image, that is perfect. The one I have currently seems to have been bent. I bent it down slightly, but didn't want to kink it. The used 14b I have coming has the stock water lines with it. So that should fix that small issue. Once I get that on and back to normal boosting, ill be continuing my build/journey.

The next AutoCross event is June 2nd, unfortunately, I will be out of town attending a wedding.

I missed an awesome course on Sunday.

I have a used 14b that I will be installing soon. Its in great condition and should get me back to a nice boosting state.

Will update accordingly.

looks great man cant wait for you to do suspension work and fix that body roll haha.

UPDATE: 6/26/2013

New "used" 14b is on and has been boosting fine.

I have been battling a clutch issue as of late. Shifting was getting very hard, and I found the clutch dragging.

I've been bleeding lines, adjusting pedals, and checking everything for weeks.

I order a new slave as well as the STM SS Clutch line kit. Hopefully this helps with my pedal/clutch problems.

Also, gave her a good bath/wax/wheel/tire wash. :thumb:

IMG_20130623_171024_333_zpsc2fd947c.jpg

IMG_20130623_171040_892_zps5c5ef502.jpg

Looks great man! Hope you can figure out the clutch issues.

UPDATE: 7/9/2013

Ordered new TB gaskets, BISS screw and STM EGR block off plate. Been chasing some boost leaks and my TB area has a ton of them.

Been thinking more and more about some suspension work, as the "monster truck status" is getting to me. haha

Also have been considering a new wheel setup, as the wheels on the car now are 17x7.5's. Would really like to go for a nice 18x8, to get rid of that 2g wheel well gap.

Forgot to mention I installed the new Slave, Master, and STM SS Line. Car is shift so nice now. Thank god.

Ive also decided on going with some new 17x8.5 wheels, with a +35 offset. This will allow me to run a nice wide tire, as well as sit flush with the car. My ideal look. Thinking about going with a Silver or Gun Metal color.

Up Coming Purchases:
- Timing Belt and Components
- Oil Pressure Gauge
- Wideband
- Mild Suspension Work (Shocks/Springs)

Up Coming Mods:
- Battery Relocation to Trunk
- EGR Block Off
- Some new Speakers/Head Unit
- HD Lip

UPDATE: 7/15/2013

Was out on a long drive over the weekend, 250 miles or so. On the way home, about half way through, I hooked up my logger just to see what was going on.

Cruising around 75 miles per hour iun 80+ degree weather, I had...
- Air intake temp of 95 degrees
- Coolant temp. 213-219 degrees Fahrenheit

I turned on the heat and saw my coolant temp drop to between 203 and 206.6 while cruising. When getting into the right hand lane in the shade on the highway, I saw my temps drop to the high 190's.

AT A STOP LIGHT:
Once I exited the highway, I came to a red light and kept my eye on things.
The coolant temp never got higher than 210. Both fans running. Once I started moving, it went down to 206.
My intake temp however, in the 45ish seconds at the light, shot up to 125 rather quickly.

Im not to worried about the coolant temp, but I really need to get that intake temp down.
I plan on buying a heat shield blanket for my FP manifold. I'm also going to make a cold air intake duct for the filter. I'm going to use some ducting to help route more air through the radiator.

Currently, my intercooler piping is black, painted by previous owner. After the drive, I placed my hand on the throttle body elbow, it had to have been at least 140 degrees to the touch. (using the 3 second rule)

I'm thinking of stripping the black paint and using some reflective tape to keep my intake temps down.
If any one has any suggestions, please let me know.

Last edited:
UPDATE: 7/22/2013

Attended and ran in our regions 4th AutoX event yesterday.

We had an awesome course set up and it was a really great time. I only wish I could have really enjoyed it with Wendy.

I only ran 3 out of my 7 runs. I was having some problems with bucking and slight hesitation. So not one of my runs reflected a clean, zero issue, time score. My third run, it was pretty bad/embarrassing so I decided to not beat her anymore and pack up. There was no real consistency with the issue either.

The car wasn't throwing any codes. I have a few small boost leaks at the TB, I have all new gaskets on the way and these would not cause this kind of action. But other than that, I have zero clue as to why the car was acting like this.

My buddy Justin had a thought about changing out the Fuel Filter and checking the stock Fuel Pump. I will also be ordering new spark plug wires. I have ordered a new filter and will report back.

Under normal street driving, this never happens, its literally only during AutoX sessions. Which makes it hard to diagnose since I wouldnt be putting the car in AutoX style driving on the street.

Only got a couple of stationary pics for the day. To help battle my intake and under hood temps, I removed the passenger headlight for the event.

D_zpsae9ac5df.jpg

C_zps0b8b5e30.jpg

Last edited:
Your intake temps are wack because you have no heat shielding on your manifold/turbo/O2.

Your intake temps are wack because you have no heat shielding on your manifold/turbo/O2.

I agree.

But at the same time, look through the "Show Me Your Engine Bay" thread, there are tons of people running the same kind of setup, meaning no heat shielding, etc.

The FP heat shield is $150, a heat blanket is $100. I plan on making a custom cold air box, with some ducting utilizing the stock SMIC hole. Much cheaper and I like DIY projects.

I agree.

But at the same time, look through the "Show Me Your Engine Bay" thread, there are tons of people running the same kind of setup, meaning no heat shielding, etc.

The FP heat shield is $150, a heat blanket is $100. I plan on making a custom cold air box, with some ducting utilizing the stock SMIC hole. Much cheaper and I like DIY projects.

DSM owners by and large are idiots, no offense to this site. There's a reason pretty much every OEM manufacturer and race team put some sort of heat shielding on turbo manifolds. Doing a dyno pull/13 second WOT run means nothing.

Your car shouldn't overheat with a 60 second autocross run, especially with a little 14B.

I used to run my Big T28 with a front mount all day long on a road course + an oil cooler.

To put it this way, for 100 bucks you can literally touch the manifold blanket after 5-10 minutes of cool down after a 25 minute road course session. I know it covers up that "hella dope" FP logo.

Aaron and I have a great plan to keep his intake temps down. The cars not overheating but his temps are pretty high for normal driving so run after run at an autox event on a hot day like it was I can see them being through the roof. Taking the headlight out I could feel a little improvement over the last time I road shotgun

1. DSM owners by and large are idiots, no offense to this site. There's a reason pretty much every OEM manufacturer and race team put some sort of heat shielding on turbo manifolds. Doing a dyno pull/13 second WOT run means nothing.

2. Your car shouldn't overheat with a 60 second autocross run, especially with a little 14B.

3. I used to run my Big T28 with a front mount all day long on a road course + an oil cooler.

4. To put it this way, for 100 bucks you can literally touch the manifold blanket after 5-10 minutes of cool down after a 25 minute road course session. I know it covers up that "hella dope" FP logo.

1. Point taken.

2. I never mentioned the car over heating. I merely mentioned having high intake temps. Removed the headlight was an easy fix for the day. The coolant stays between 195 and 206 on our hot days.

3. Awesome. I have an oil cooler on my future list.

4. I'm sure I will get one on the future. But as of right now, I have more important things to take care of. So $100 for new wires, a fuel filter, some TB gaskets, etc is money better spent.

Aaron and I have a great plan to keep his intake temps down. The cars not overheating but his temps are pretty high for normal driving so run after run at an autox event on a hot day like it was I can see them being through the roof. Taking the headlight out I could feel a little improvement over the last time I road shotgun

Speaking of which, lets get on this. I had a few mock up ideas.

Also wish we could have given her %100 during that event.

God I'm super jealous! You make me miss owning a DSM, despite small issues and such. Keep up the great work and keep us posted.:thumb:

-Audiyo

Thanks for the kind words!

UPDATE: 7/26/2013

Parts are piling up. Fuel Filter, Master, Plug Wires, Air Filter Adapter, TB Gaskets, BISS, EGR Block Off.

I also purchased a used strut/spring combo for a great price.

KYB AGX Adjustables with Eibach Race Springs - 450 front rate/300 rear rate.

UPDATE: 7/30/2013

Rear Camber bolts have been purchased from STM. Once those get in, I will be getting ready for the suspension install.

Very excited!!!

UPDATE: 8/5/2013

Parts are piling up!

Unfortunately, this month is the busiest month of my life. I have 2 weddings, both with rehearsal dinners, a bachelor part weekend, a Vegas trip for work, out of town weekend trip for cake tasting and other wedding stuff, we are also moving to a new place, and finally my birthday.

This all means im going to have zero time to spend on upgrades/maintenance.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back