The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

92 GST Stealing 14B record build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Excellent work Justin! Very sweet numbers. 126 trap? Sweetness! Tasting 10's with that trap.

Fwiw, I loved the W2A. But your intake temps are pretty darn good. BUT you also want to look at pressure drops through the IC core. With all that being said, I'm still not sure how much you would get out of W2A.

But again, 11.1! Excellent work!

MB

11.03@125 FYI.

I'm sure I've got a good amount of pressure drop through this IC. It's a very big core. I'm gonna swap to a 1gb talon bumper and duct the face of the IC so it all gets air goin down the track. I'm not much of a fan of the cut open bumper for the IC. This will test to see if the IC being fully exposed will drop charge temps any.

I'll post some progress as I get the bumper ready.

11.03@125 FYI.

Yeah, I picked that up in trying to catch up on the 14b thread (its taken me this long to catch up, LOL). Awesome work!

As I said in the 14b thread, those traps with low 1.6's will net you 10's with some more seat time on the new set-up (not to mention some more tuning).

Good luck, man. And more importantly, have fun :thumb:

MB

Excellent work Justin! Very sweet numbers. 126 trap? Sweetness! Tasting 10's with that trap.

Fwiw, I loved the W2A. But your intake temps are pretty darn good. BUT you also want to look at pressure drops through the IC core. With all that being said, I'm still not sure how much you would get out of W2A.

But again, 11.1! Excellent work!

MB

Yeah, I picked that up in trying to catch up on the 14b thread (its taken me this long to catch up, LOL). Awesome work!

As I said in the 14b thread, those traps with low 1.6's will net you 10's with some more seat time on the new set-up (not to mention some more tuning).

Good luck, man. And more importantly, have fun :thumb:

MB

My 60' time on the 11.03 pass was a 1.628 so low 1.6s already. Need some 1.5s and to optimize my shift points. I think that'll do it.

Oh and I'm having a blast right now.

So ive been doing little things here and there to the car over the past few weeks. I havent had time between races to do any of the bigger projects that I want to do. I kinda started making my new up pipe. I had a weird looking o2 housing and a heavy downpipe and a huge hole in the hood where my old exhaust use to go. So I am going to run th exhaust up and save some weight. When I pulled the Wideband sensor out youll see the damage it took when I blew the turbo up my last race. Still worked good though.

Few things I did, cleaned and straightened all my intercooler fins, changed the front bumper out to a talon one and made some cover plates for aero, and changing the clutch bushings out.

Before I head to sac again I need to mount my seat to cage and somehow rig up a scattershield to the fwd trans for one race. After that Im pretty sure I am going to swap over to the awd trans and I have a shield for that. I would stick with the fwd trans longer but I dont think the axles are going to hold out for much longer and not having any luck finding an extra set.

Should also be getting a surprise package soon. Ill post up when it gets here. Should help out a bit in the flow department.

Attachments

• Damage WB.jpg
    Damage WB.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 141
  • Clutch Bushing.jpg
    Clutch Bushing.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 155
  • Bent IC.jpg
    Bent IC.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 151
  • Progress IC.jpg
    Progress IC.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 150
  • Straight IC.jpg
    Straight IC.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 133
How does that sensor still work? Lol...that thing got destroyed.

BTW - nice job on the intercooler. I wouldn't be patient enough to do that.

How does that sensor still work? Lol...that thing got destroyed.

BTW - nice job on the intercooler. I wouldn't be patient enough to do that.

Yup sensor works great. I ran all day today with it. The intercooler stuff pretty much payed off. Temps never saw over 84degrees but it was no warmer than 65 today.

Had a rough day today at the track. Started out with it being 50 degrees and a DA of 4000ft. First pass I do my normal first gear burn out. I launch the car and smoke the tires to a 12.1@118. My second pass I go ahead and do a second gear burn out. I get a full NLTS pass this time. Then come find out none of the timers got the pass and the computer system was screwed up. I wait a bit until I'm sure things are up and working.

My third pass I do a hardcore second gear burn out, tires at 7psi like I always run, and I get an 11.4@122. This is my fastest mph at this elevation. Go to pull off the track and my clutch Pedal feels goofy. Get back and the damn thing is pumped all the way up. Car cools and clutch still the same so I adjust it down.

Next pass good burnout,tires at 6.5 psi launched good, accidently tripped the NLTS in mid third gear. I go 11.2@122. Check the temp and DA, it's over 5000ft and right around 60degrees. Clutch still doin funky stuff. I adjust it for the next pass.

Best burnout of the day. Tires set at 6.5psi. Launch the car NLTS pass felt perfect. Get my slip, and was only an 11.4@121. The 60' was low 1.7s ( was hitting high 1.6s earlier) and the temp out was 65 degrees with a DA of 5100.

If the track wasn't crap and my clutch would quit shifting around it wouldn't slip. I had fun none the less and got a few things dialed in on the tune. Goin from low elevation to this track at 4000ft and no changes, the car lost 5psi of boost. I cranked the controller up two turns and only saw as high as 23psi. Still 2psi shy from what it was in sac. I'm gonna go through the clutch system very well in the next week and give the lower elevation a shot on april 7th.

All in all, it sounds like the day was a success. Did the 11.2 give you a new PB at that track for ET? If so, that's a new MPH and ET record up there, although on separate passes. But it's still showing great improvements. As always, it's painful when you go to run but have issues...but at least you have a chance to work out the clutch issues and anything else so you hopefully won't have to deal with them back down at Sac!!

Were you running the bigger Talon front bumper to help get more air to the I/C as well?

All in all, it sounds like the day was a success. Did the 11.2 give you a new PB at that track for ET? If so, that's a new MPH and ET record up there, although on separate passes. But it's still showing great improvements. As always, it's painful when you go to run but have issues...but at least you have a chance to work out the clutch issues and anything else so you hopefully won't have to deal with them back down at Sac!!

Were you running the bigger Talon front bumper to help get more air to the I/C as well?

Yup new PB ET and mph for the higher elevation track.

Ya it was the Talon bumper. I need to go through my logs again to see what the gain of temp was from start to finish. Can't really compare it to sacs runs because the coolant temps where much hotter then. Im pretty sure there was a small gain though.

Try Brian at terhune race works for some axels I still haven't been able to find a used back up set

I did. His axles are nice but way more than I want to spend. I dont plan on keeping the fwd trans in very much longer before I go with the awd trans setup. From there I have 2 1/2 sets of aftermarket axles. Im going to just have to take my chances.

A few updates that I needed to show. The first set are updates that I didnt post before last race. The second set of updates are some things that im in the process of doing for next weekend. The car should do a lot better than the 11.0@125.

Before My last race I added a cheesy velocity stack to my intake to help out a little. I also finished up my aero front bumper.

Attachments

• Aero Mod2.jpg
    Aero Mod2.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 140
  • Aero Mod.jpg
    Aero Mod.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 153
  • Velocity.jpg
    Velocity.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 138
These last updates are things im doing to get ready for next weekend. I like these things im doing since they look a little nicer, are lighter, and should perform a bit better. All in small increments of course. PLus tech last time brought up a few things like the seat being bolted in and adding a flywheel shield. The shield is in and I dont think tech will be giving me a hard time.

Had the hole aleady in my hood for the up pipe on my last turbo. I threw together the setup with what I had to get the car to the track. I finally had a little bit of time to redo the exhaust. Its lighter plus its an external dump unlike before.

I weighed my summit seat with cover and my kirkey seat with cover and the nicer seat wins. So I get to change out to the kirkey before I bolt it to the cage. Also had the aftermarket steering wheel laying around. Weighed what I had and the aftermarket one the lighter one wins again. And while I have the summit seat out I spot weld drilled the factory seat mounts out. Another 2lbs off the car.

Attachments

• Unfinisheddp.jpg
    Unfinisheddp.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 144
  • DPSIDE.jpg
    DPSIDE.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 135
  • Dpinstall.jpg
    Dpinstall.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 125
  • Kirkey.jpg
    Kirkey.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 134
I was going to head to sacramento this weekend to get some more low elevation passes. Looks like its suppose to rain. I decided to wait it out and head back to the local track april 13th and get a few more things dialed in with better track prep. So I look under the rear of the car to get a track bar measurement and found that the track bar mount to the body was broke. Probably from the ride height its at and the fact the bar is longer than its suppose to be. Explains why my measurements where almost equal side to side. Also explains why the car felt a bit squirmy at the top end of the track the last time out. Now time to get the rear end set straight and give it a go again.

Attachments

• Broke Track.jpg
    Broke Track.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 139
Since I'm always doin work to the car I have a little update. I'm pretty dead set on getting this car to 10.9 on the fwd trans. I'm even more dead set on doing it at the higher elevation track.

I ran an 11.2@122 with over a 5000ft DA. Track had bad prep that day. Car was just fightin. Went to measure my rear track bar and found the mount to the body side was broke. So I got that all fixed and made an adjustable bar. It's 2lbs lighter plus I can preload the rear for a better launch.

Removed some more factory brackets. With what I've done this go around its looking like another 20lbs overall loss. I'm still seeing stuff that can be removed to. The car should be around 1856 no driver. I'll weigh it once it's all back together. To think I'm still running the front factory glass and haven't tubed the front end yet. I guess this will be my edge once I get back to a lower elevation track.

Since I'm switching trans soon I didn't want to buy new shorter slicks. So my good buddy is gonna let me borrow his new m&h 24.5x8.5x15". Different brand and 1/2" wider than what I'm running now. They feel a bit stickier to. Gonna hope I can get a better 60' time on a bit more pressure. I think the extra pressure will help the mph to.

SOOOO Saturday can't come soon enough.

Should be worth some advantage. It's still a little confusing why you keep trying at Fallon and want that so bad, almost worse then getting the actual record. But, after thinking about it for a little bit it makes sense, sometimes those personal victories are worth more to ya. Plus it's nice getting to the closer track.

good luck man

Pretty cool man. Best of luck crossing under the 11.0 barrier!

Thanks guys :thumb:

Should be worth some advantage. It's still a little confusing why you keep trying at Fallon and want that so bad, almost worse then getting the actual record. But, after thinking about it for a little bit it makes sense, sometimes those personal victories are worth more to ya. Plus it's nice getting to the closer track.

There are a few reasons. Main reason is that I just love to race. Making any small changes and im dying to get back and see what differences my changes made. It is easier to keep track of my changes this way to. If I make changes I will still see them no matter what track im at. It is half the drive and makes it easier to get to all in one day. Getting to sac by 8-9:00 in the AM with a 2 1/2 hour drive just isnt me. I am sooo not a morning person. Then the drive home since most of the races are on Sundays.

TECH, is the next big bastard child in Sac. Fallon is an NHRA sanctioned track. Being buddies with the track guy he kinda lets some stuff slide by. Last time in Sac they searched the car up and down and told me to get a flywheel shield, weld a bracket to the cage for my seats, and that im going to need a cage built around my fuel cell. This stuff hasn't been an issue in Fallon and I really dont feel like shoehorning in a flywheel shield on this fwd trans if I plan on changing it out for the awd trans. Which I do have a shield and an SFI approved flywheel for.

All in good time. Im working on all that because I want the car to be up to date and fully capable of passing tech anywhere I go. Just wouldnt feel right cutting corners to break the record that way.

That almost doesn't make sense. An NHRA sanctioned track (Fallon) should be much more strict. If they are found disobeying a single safety reg, the NHRA will pull their license without any hesitation...then you can kiss a lot of their business goodbye. I'm actually kind of glad that Sac is getting a little more strict on their requirements. I've been racing on and off up there for about 8 years and have seen a LOT of shady setups roll down that track.

As for you slicks those slicks should help in more than one way...three actually. The M&H compound is slightly softer to help with traction, even at a higher psi, which will help reduce roll resistance. They are also a slightly thinner tire, so they weigh slightly less than the M/T slicks. Not to mention they are a 1/2" wider!! Anxious to see the results.

They are not relaxed on all things. When I ran my 9.9 they didn't hesitate on a warning and giving me the boot. Another example is a local guy built an awd kseries hatch. It's a mid 10sec car and Fallon. They are always on him for no cage. Sac on the other hand let him go 10.1 @ 139 and a few other 140 passes and never said anything.

The slicks. I've noticed that they are quite a bit stickier than my m/t. The exact thing I was thinkin to. More pressure better rolling resistance. I'm gonna start a little higher on the pressure and see what it does.

So brandon you like how you o2 dump turned out?? I'm now officially external dumped. I hope it'll help in the boost department.

Yeah...I liked it when it was on my car! Seemed like there was a slight increase in response and peak boost since there isn't any air returning back into the exhaust piping, thus letting the exhaust flow without any turbulence/restriction!

Good luck with the new mods and tires! I think you'll see some significant gains!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back