The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

92 GST Stealing 14B record build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

After almost a decade I would like to say that to :thumb:

Oh I knew you where. Give a jab take a jab. Im just screwing around to. So far your ahead of the other awd guys. Lets keep it that way ;)

It's hard to believe it was that long ago, being that I remember when it happened! That was when I decided I wanted to build a 14b car to take the "awd record"!

And cool, we're on the same page then :thumb: And yes, now I need to get creative to stay ahead of the other awd guys.

That elevation is a bugger. I understand why you want to get out and run the car, and it does help you see improvements, but I'd almost be willing to travel just to get better runs in!

It's hard to believe it was that long ago, being that I remember when it happened! That was when I decided I wanted to build a 14b car to take the "awd record"!

And cool, we're on the same page then :thumb: And yes, now I need to get creative to stay ahead of the other awd guys.

That elevation is a bugger. I understand why you want to get out and run the car, and it does help you see improvements, but I'd almost be willing to travel just to get better runs in!

My plan is to travel. These summer months will be a waste I think. It gets very how there. I plan to go for sure beginning of oct for an import race. I may even go once it starts cooling down for a test and tune one weekend. Nice thing about here, is the summer month night races are still 60-70 degrees. So with the right DA I can squeeze something decent out.

Awd trans swap is done. Just waiting for the stupid ups driver to deliver my slave cylinder so I can bleed and adjust the clutch. I hacked apart my broken hood and dzus fastened it down. Shaved about 5-6lbs doing that. I weighed the car again after the swap and it's only 15lbs heavier overall. There's a few lbs to lose before tomorrow. It should be a great back to back comparison of the trans swap. Just keeping my fingers crossed that it shifts like my last trans. I also like the fact these 26x8.5 m/t slicks look so much more stable at 7psi than the smaller slicks. Maybe 1.5s?? Time will tell.

I went back to a 14b for this year and I'm glad I did, the car builds boost so fast and is a blast around town. The goal at this point is 12.99 on stock longblock/turbo/clutch/trans/drivetrain w/ pump gas at full weight (or close). If not I'll break down, buy a clutch, and up the boost.

Keep up the good work, it sure sounds like there is more left in it. I hope one of you guys grabs the record soon, it's good to see DSM's represent on factory equipment!

I went back to a 14b for this year and I'm glad I did, the car builds boost so fast and is a blast around town. The goal at this point is 12.99 on stock longblock/turbo/clutch/trans/drivetrain w/ pump gas at full weight (or close). If not I'll break down, buy a clutch, and up the boost.

Keep up the good work, it sure sounds like there is more left in it. I hope one of you guys grabs the record soon, it's good to see DSM's represent on factory equipment!

Thank you. Hitting a 12.99 with what you have is definatly doable. Have fun gettin it done.

Well last night was one of those bastard nights. The trans ended up shifting great which I was glad of. I did do a boost leak test the night before the race and I found a leak the would start pissing out at 5psi and got worse. It's the seal for the backing plate on the turbo itself. I figured I would just run it anyways since my last pass at the track last time was my best overall at Fallon.

First pass I rolled the beams, short shifted second, and missed my other shift points. Car went [email protected]. It was a 1.8 60'.

Second pass didn't roll the beams drug out first to 7400 (comes quicker with this trans) shift points still a bit off but ran an [email protected]. 60' was a 1.752

Now at this point I kept gettin this really weird bobbing in second gear. My timing, IDC, and rpm was all affected by it. I decide to check my base timing and it's 5 degrees advanced from where I had it set. Explained a few thing the far was doing. Now this sensor was maxed out retarded. I decide to change it out with a green top (original was a black top) and check timing with it set midway and bam, 5degrees.

So I make my third pass and the car does no bob in second and the car picks up better at the bottom of each shift. Car goes [email protected]. 60' is a 1.721. At this point I'm thinking the boost leak is bad. The DA on my last 3 runs was low 5000s. That's 1000ft lower than my previous time at the track.

So I keep dropping tire pressure and go one more time. Car felt great. Grab my slip and was a bit disappointed when it says [email protected] with a 1.700 60'.

So every pass my 60' times improved. But they are way off of what I expected. I'm thinkin a 10" wide tire is called for. I'll be able to run more than 7psi which should help keep the mph up. The width will help in the 60' department. It's hard to hear spin on these tires but with me lowering pressures and 60's getting better, it shows that I have to be getting spin.

Cars still holding strong. Gonna go over a lot of stuff and do some maintenence stuff that's well over due. I noticed some sputtering in my IDCs is certain spots so I may pull the injectors and have those cleaned. June 28th I'll be on my evo3 16g for one night so I can compete with the quicker local guys. After that I'm throwing on my rebuilt 14B and gonna get a bit aggressive with it.

Well, sometimes you have those nights, at least nothing broke. Fix the compressor seal and get moving. Are you planning on being "in the money" on the 16g? If not why screw with it, you have a record to go set!

Well, sometimes you have those nights, at least nothing broke. Fix the compressor seal and get moving. Are you planning on being "in the money" on the 16g? If not why screw with it, you have a record to go set!

This 14B seems in good shape so I'll probably fix the seals and locktite the compressor nut. I have a fresh rebuilt 14b with a fully ported compressor cover. I don't want to use the ported compressor just yet.

The only reason I'm bolting on the 16g and possibly a nos kit, is that I setup this event a couple years ago. It was a small time deal to get local racers to get in the game. It was a $20 buy in and winner takes all. We've only had 10-12 cars. Well this year we have $800 in Sponser money plus the buy ins which doubled. The locals are pretty much looking forward to me racing and bringing something big. They all know about my record chase and most think it's a waste. So at least the 16g to them looks stock but will put out a bunch more power. So anything I can do to try and win this big ole pot.

I've been fast and right now that's not in my interest. I'm having a lot of fun chasing this record and learning so much everytime I go. So I can't wait to get back out with a good 14b and some better traction.

Well, you made a pretty major change. And, apparently have some issues to iron out.

Next time.

Ya I know. I knew of the boost leak but left it cause I didn't want to change out turbos twice this week. Didn't think it was gonna be this bad.

After this race I feel like a fighter that has been knocked out and at a loss of. Confidence. I'll pick up the pieces and get back to moving forward. I wonder how long the stupid cas has been advanced and messing with my tune. I did learn how the car felt with it advanced and the back to stock, so I might be able to tweak my cam gears in the future at the track.

Another thing I may consider that was brought up by a member of a dsmtuners fb group, is clocking the compressor housing. Only reason I'm considering it is that my j-pipe is 1/8" or closer to touching the exhaust manifold. Moving it down will sure kill any kind of heat that is transferring over. It's almost a free mod (aside from the new j-pipe) that could lower my intake temps a bunch.

Getting the car ready for the 28th of this month. I took the 14B apart and of course the rubber seals are hard as a rock. The oiling looks pretty good since the shaft and bushings looked good for what this turbo has seen and what It has been through before I got ahold of it. While I have all this apart I fixed a few broken bolt holes in the turbine housing. Seems that I had a little bit of an exhaust mani to turbo leak. Nothing to big though.

I also FINALLY tapped into the turbine housing and am setting this thing up to start logging turbine backpressure. Found a nice solid little spot to tap into. Also got a fancy FP turbo manifold heat wrap. Thats going on to.

I decided its time to get to an alignment shop so I purchased a cheap pair of camber plates. I was using the bolts but got tired of them popping loose and having to mark them everytime I pulled the suspension apart. Once these are in Im going to mount up my New M&H 26x10x15" slicks that I got to. With all this it has to be able to cut 1.5s. The M/T 26/8.5s where down to 7psi the last time I had the car out. Got down to a 1.700 60' time. Only thing I noticed was that as I dropped pressure 60' times got better. With the 10"s I should be able to run a little more pressure to. That way I can keep my mph up.

Attachments

• apart14b.jpg
    apart14b.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 132
  • backpressure source.jpg
    backpressure source.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 134
  • heat shield.jpg
    heat shield.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 126
Lookin' good Justin. Hope to see some good results for you with the new slicks...and see what info you get off the backpressure!

I got rid of my AWD and quite a bit of my parts...just picked up a FWD!!! Not going to do much right now...just run it down and get make sure it's running good and hit the track with it pretty much as is...which is basically stock with exception to the air intake.

Lookin' good Justin. Hope to see some good results for you with the new slicks...and see what info you get off the backpressure!

I got rid of my AWD and quite a bit of my parts...just picked up a FWD!!! Not going to do much right now...just run it down and get make sure it's running good and hit the track with it pretty much as is...which is basically stock with exception to the air intake.

Ya I'm excited to see what I can gain by monitoring backpressure. At least I'll know if the 7cm housing is right.

You know running it stock to start is the best way. Just whittle away at the car until you get it just right. I think you'll have fun with it.

Well, good that you found the exhaust leak, that's huge.

I think the wider slicks might be the ticket as well. Hopefully that will enable you to bang out consistent 1.50's. If that happens, and you're happy with it, then you can search for more to improve ET. However I think, this is most important.

I think anything in the 1.5 range gives you the potential to run 10.80. And your power to weight is there.

Good luck, hope you pull it off!

Well, good that you found the exhaust leak, that's huge.

I think the wider slicks might be the ticket as well. Hopefully that will enable you to bang out consistent 1.50's. If that happens, and you're happy with it, then you can search for more to improve ET. However I think, this is most important.

I think anything in the 1.5 range gives you the potential to run 10.80. And your power to weight is there.

Good luck, hope you pull it off!

Your right there. Its all about the right combo. The 8.5 tires look huge on the car now, but it seems to be the ticket going to 10s.

Im happy with one thing, the fact the car has gone mid low 11s since Ive been running it. 30+ passes and I think I only have one 12 sec pass and thats cause I was spinning like a mofo.

Ran the car with the E316G on it for our shootout. Car went 10.7@135 off the trailer and I settled the night with a 10.60@133 with a 1.60 60'. Was only doing first gear burnouts and very little smoke coming off the tires. So Im getting the suspension dialed in pretty good now. The outside temps where over 95* all night and my aits would climb to high 140s every pass. All in all a very good night.

Making a few more changes to the car. Finally making my intake scoop and ditching the headlight. Got me some camber plates. Changing out my front coilovers from the ebay one over to the Ground Control ones so I can keep track of spring rates.

Im going back to the track one more time with the 16G to dial in the suspension and then swapping in a fresh rebuilt 14B. And then.......................................... Off to Sacramento for as long as I can handle. I figure the seasons almost over and I played and tested enough with the car its time to get serious. Ill get some pics posted of the scoop and some other mods when I get this stuff done.

So a local posted this video today. You can see on the 16G that it overpowers the 26x10s. But I also noticed the car drives to the right so That will be fixed next time out. My car is about 2:38 on the video. Enjoy some wickedness

Some Passes from Reno Shoot Out - YouTube

I bet you see those 1.5x short times after some good second gear burnouts! More speed = more heat = more traction...as you know!!

I bet you see those 1.5x short times after some good second gear burnouts! More speed = more heat = more traction...as you know!!

Yup exactly. I have to figure out why the car launches to the right. If you watch the video and see even in my burnout, the car pulls to the right. Im redoing a few thing on the suspension and going to finally hit up an alignment rack to see whats going on.

A few small updates. Haven't done a whole lot to the car. Had so much going on I only had time to move it into its own spot in the garage. Gave me a little more space. I am planning on hitting the Fallon track Friday night. I know "not again". Its closer and its only $5 to race. Cant beat that. Besides this will give me a session before I start traveling to sea level tracks. Ya tracks. Been looking for a newer truck and an enclosed so I can go to even further tracks. I really want to head up to the Washington Oregon area and go play on the English Racing stomping grounds.

Enough with that. I finally decided to get an intake duct built. I started with one in aluminum with a 4" outlet for future upgrades. But it wasn't turning out how I liked it and was taking way to long to get right. So I took and the past two days, cut apart my headlight even more and went the fiberglass route with a 3" outlet. It turned out way better than expected. It wont be 100% completed but will be functional for Fri night. I got the rough draft down as you can see in the pics. Plus this will look so much better than the horn thing I had sticking out of the front.

I've also been trying to be creative and get rid of all the heat I can by moving and wrapping stuff that reflects heat onto any of my intercooler pipes and turbo inlet. I had my car running for maybe 10 mins a week ago and grabbed the turbo inlet. It was hot to the touch. I guess resting on the lower radiator pipe will do that. Its all wrapped and barely gets warm now compared to before. Another area I am working on is the lower intercooler pipe. Laser checked the temp on the turbine housing and it was around 400 degrees just idling. The lower pipe was so hot I couldn't even touch the side that faces the housing. The side towards the radiator wasn't as hot. Imagine how hot that pipe get when going down the track and that turbine housing is glowing. So cant be good for my Ait's. So Ill be making a shield for that and then here in the near future will do some ceramic coating and a turbine blanket.

I have a good feeling about Fri night even at the track Im going to. Last time out my 14b was leaking on my boost leak test at 5psi and got worse from there. Still managed an 11.3@121 and crap 60' times. I know the car hooks on these 26x10 M&Hs now. So more to come as the week goes by.

Attachments

• Duct progress.jpg
    Duct progress.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 115
  • Duct1.jpg
    Duct1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 114
  • Duct 2.jpg
    Duct 2.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 109
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back