The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G 6 bolt Refresh

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panchoelkatch

Proven Member
Jun 4, 2014
Lemoore, California
Pulled my running engine out couple weeks ago (155 Compression across the board), and a couple beers later head and pistons were out. Well engine had OEM STD Main and Rod bearings, so I ordered some Race ACL STD bearings.

I had my 9:1 Arias pistons inspected by Arias themselves, and they look good. Either way bought some new rings for em and thicker wrist pins.

My main question here is, since I pulled everything out running fine, am I okay to just plastigauge the bearings and verify clearances, Install the new wrist pins and rings and just throw the engine back together or is crucial to have it sent out to a machine shop?

With your new pistons comes new rings. So, you have to check ring gaps, and file the rings for correct ring gap. Also, you need to inspect your cylinders plus bore gauge them to see if they have wear/ a lip at the top. You want to make sure you do it correctly now so that you don't have to pull the engine again and have to rebuild it again. Me personally, I have never just pulled an engine apart, and just thrown it back together. While you're there you might as well have the block cleaned and machined. You'll be a lot happier with it if you do.

The fit of the new pins needs checked. The cylinders will need honed for the new rings, and the rings have to be filed to fit the bores. You'll also want to check the head and block for flatness and you'll probably need to have at least the head resurfaced.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back