The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

• Update Your Password Today!

We have implemented tools to identify member accounts using insecure passwords and will be locking those accounts until their passwords are updated. Don't get locked out of your account - update your password today, and ensure your account has a valid email address on file. Read more here...
Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1Gb Talon Rust Revival

Silverspyder

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 18, 2002
Burnsville, Minnesota
didn't do much on the car this week. I'm having a friend weld up my intercooler piping and weld in the new bungs/flanges for me. Hopefully that will be done this week and I can get them in the car. Or I'll go get them and some other little stuff powdercoated. I did have some new brake/fuel line brackets fabricated as the existing ones are badly rusted/pitted.

Silverspyder

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 18, 2002
Burnsville, Minnesota
This weekend I wanted to take care of a few small things. As I mentioned above, I had new brake/fuel line brackets fabricated for me. these ones are a little thicker steel and should last.
brakelinebracketsbefore.jpg

But I wanted to make sure, so I prepped them, then POR15'd them. that oughta keep them from rusting again. I will coat them in flat black topcoat next weekend when they are fully cured.
brakelinebracketsprep.jpg
brakelinebracketspord.jpg

Here's a little trick I have recently thought of to keep my POR15 re-usable. I drill two screws in the top...one for pouring, the other for air while pouring. If you do a lot of this type of work, get yourself a box of cheap chip brushes. they are something like 50cents/each. Don't waste money on brushes since you can't reuse them anyway.
portrick.jpg
brushes11.jpg

I also decided to pre/paint the ac cover thing I made awhile back to match the overall aesthetic.
accover2.jpg
accover.jpg

Silverspyder

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 18, 2002
Burnsville, Minnesota
Finished up the brackets I POR'd last weekend. Topcoated them black.
bracketspainted.jpg

I decided I wanted to get the new door hinges installed. this meant removing the fender liners, and ultimately the fender to get to the bolts for the hinges. Of course, underneath was pretty grimey. I took this opportunity to give it a good degreasing and scrub-down. I always clean like this when I remove something. You never know when you'll be able to clean it again. this fender has never been off the car.
Before:
dirtyfender.jpg

After:
cleanfender.jpg

This lead me to see that the rust had eaten away and left a hole underneath the cladding on the fender. Lovely.
rustycar2.jpg

and the fender itself...good thing I have a spare I purchased many years ago.
rustyfender.jpg

Anyway, onto the initial task.
i removed the hinges one by one and cleaned underneath, wire brushed and primed and painted to offer some more protection. the hinge area was in great shape, with minimal rust forming anywhere. Just a little surface rust underneath the hinge itself.
paintedhinge.jpg
doorhinge2.jpg
newoldhinges.jpg
newdoorhinges.jpg

Silverspyder

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 18, 2002
Burnsville, Minnesota
Got my UIP back from welding, so that was the focus of the day.
icpipedonebefore.jpg

a test fit...
testfiticpiping.jpg

The tial flange and an IAT sensor bung added as well...
icpipebung.jpg

I needed to add a bead to the ends before anything else...I used this tool, modified to do it.
icpipetoolbefore.jpg

I used a cutoff wheel to cut out the middle a little.
icpipebeadtoolafter.jpg

Leaves a bead like this.
icpipebead.jpg

Primed and painted matte black with a 2k clear for protection.
icpipedone.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds