The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1gb front bumper modding project

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just dont want the bumper to look good with all this hard work, only to have the "chin" of his car look like this... (see pic LOL) I vote clock it or go all out and do the whole body. car is gonna look like a snow plow otherwise.

And I dont see how there is no increase in airflow by clocking it... It did make the mouth bigger, and it routes more air toward the IC. Not as much as this OP. The flow I was referring to earlier was body line flow. not airflow btw. your airflow will be superior.

And Im not ragging on this idea. Its solid. And the creative cutout up top while keeping the lines is genius. MAybe paint the top section of th IC black to make it blend in to the bumper and look "normal" from straight on.

Attachments

• chin.jpg
    chin.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,349
i do understand on the clocking idea and im not against it. but i think it will look ok without. but im fitting it to the car tomorrow and will make my final choice then.
that pic is scary ha ha. ya i wouldn't want anyone or thing to have a chin like that ha ha

And I dont see how there is no increase in airflow by clocking it... It did make the mouth bigger, and it routes more air toward the IC. Not as much as this OP. The flow I was referring to earlier was body line flow. not airflow btw. your airflow will be superior.

and i misunderstood you i thought you were saying that his would outflow mine and didnt feel it would. but i stand corrected :)

I think it depends on how it fits when its done. No matter how high or low it sits, the bottom edge has to be at the same angel as the side skirts. If that makes any sense.

I think it depends on how it fits when its done. No matter how high or low it sits, the bottom edge has to be at the same angel as the side skirts. If that makes any sense.

Thats what I was saying... it works so easy on a talon because the side skirts are angled and curved a bit.

In all cases, Parallel is the key word. so you said it after all, parallel = same angle, (relative to the same reference line...)

Now If I wanted to do this on my laser... Id have a lot of issues with the big chin syndrome.

Thats what I was saying... it works so easy on a talon because the side skirts are angled and curved a bit.

In all cases, Parallel is the key word. so you said it after all, parallel = same angle, (relative to the same reference line...)

Now If I wanted to do this on my laser... Id have a lot of issues with the big chin syndrome.

I completely agree I forgot that not all have the talon styling haha brain fart:) I will keep that in mind. I would like it to be acceptable for all styles of trim.

Fit the bumper this morning to make sure body lines are ok.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Definitely like it! I really want a 1ga version! LOL

agree that looks awesome! I will have to make my buddy who does body work do this on my 91.

That's tough (tough = good... for the old farts). You really gotta shoot it in bright daylight. Its really hard to see the side skirt trim lines. Im confident it will look better in the right light. I just see a bunch of shadows on the side. the front view is gonna be killer.

I was really a fan of the 1gb laser bumper until about now... I might have to do a full on conversion (front and sides...) I got some hot sh!t planned for the laser rear... sh!t should be crack.

Cant wait to see this finished. Really slick dude.

After doing a lot of squinting like mr. chin... I think i see the lines. THe only potential room for improvement, I think, (but its too late) would be to clock it down an inch in the front, and keep your back section height.

I photo-shopped it for you. Just you so can get all the what ifs outta your head. I think that flows a hair better, at the risk of looking more like a nice versoin of the over chin. I also dont know how much lower that would put the front to the ground, what looks good on paper might not look too good in real life...

And then I clocked it some more, to be perfectly parallel with what I saw was the body line. The second clock is probably too extreme.

Attachments

• clocked.jpg
    clocked.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 196
  • clocked moor.jpg
    clocked moor.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 189
ya the pics dont show to well. the front is level with the lower back part of the fender. Imo i think the two PS photos look closer to the big chin look.
but thanks for the photoshoping it does put my mind at ease:)

Looks better than any aftermarket front bumper cover that im aware of! So finish that bi*** up and post more pics! Maybe in doors under better lighting LOL?

wow this looks great!!!, I have always liked the talon front bumper but it didnt line up well with the sides on my eclipse, wasn't low enough. I'm close enough that I would be willing to drive there to buy one if you ever do decide to make a few of these... subscribed.:thumb:

Last edited:
do you have exact measurements as to how much you dropped the lower half at the front and back of the bumper? I am going to pick up some fiberglass tonight, and start doing the exact same thing. not to be a mime or anything. but it does look badass, especially on that red 1g. cant wait to see it painted, as my 1g is satin black and id like to see the finished product. :thumb: on the job so far.

First layer of kitty hair bondo

I don't even have a 1g and I still want your headlights...I longed for those bastards when I had one.

That bumper looks great, if I ever get another one, Ill think about doing this. In for finished pics!

do you have exact measurements as to how much you dropped the lower half at the front and back of the bumper? I am going to pick up some fiberglass tonight, and start doing the exact same thing. not to be a mime or anything. but it does look badass, especially on that red 1g. cant wait to see it painted, as my 1g is satin black and id like to see the finished product. :thumb: on the job so far.

thanks for the comments:) and i dont feel like anyone is taking from me if you make your own. that's why i posted this. for the longest time ive been the one with the time and not the money. now im thankful that i have the means and would like to help the DSM community out by showing what to do. its not hard at all its just time consuming. if you take your time and read up on what you are doing you can figure anything out.

Cant wait to see finished product! And yea fiberglassing is easy. A lil bondo and paint and viola.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back