The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Front Bumper Intercooler Shroud

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewTurboTuner

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 21, 2006
Rslv, Arkansas
The front bumper leaves a large open gap around the sides and top of the intercooler. So In my quest to keep as cool as I can I decided to build a IC Shroud to direct all incoming air through my IC. If it even helps me gain 10-15% efficiency I'll be happy (as big of a gap there was around the IC I thinks its possible I could gain more).

The IC Shroud is built directly on the bumper. There are no attachment to the IC. Remove the bumper and everything comes with it

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It looks good, i dont mind rivets or bolts if its a race car as its there for a reason and it makes it look more racey haua

That's really cool. It looks to really complete the install and helps integrate the fmic really well.

I like the rivets, but they also make it look a little aftermarkety.

Did you notice a difference? Also, any plans on taking the ducting all the way to the radiator?

I've thought about something similar, I'd probably put some kind of weather stripping around the aluminum.

That is a really good idea, you could have used some adhesive, like the black windshield adhesive that comes in a tube at autozone, and just glued it to the back of the bumper. That adhesive is really strong and flexible.

So far the IC Shroud seems to be working good.
Im seeing a solid 5+deg cooler air in my WOT logs over not having the IC Shroud.

I don't think double sided tape or adhesive would hold it on as good as I would like. It would work but I don't know for how long. Rivets are about the only way to hold it on permanently (and I don't have any reason to remove it). The rivets look fine to me, but if someone didnt want to see them I think body matching paint would hide them real well (heck maybe even painting the rivets flat black would do the job for a stealth look)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With the Cold-Air Box & IC Shroud Im seeing 20-deg cooler Intake Temps.
Its never warmer than 10 degrees over ambient temps (Im @ 28psi)

Awesome I'm glad to see that the shroud worked out for you man :). I will have to do something like this whenever I get my car done.

Looks great man! But im gonna try and do the same without the rivets. Even if it's just ducting the back side of I.c core to the rad. IMO that's a lil more important than ducting bumper-to-fmic as the intercooler already see's cooler air then the radiator, since it flows thru there first and then scatters thru every gap before entering rad. :)

Love it tho!

Once I saw this I had to do it. Simple, cheap and effective....more effective than the gobs of newspaper the previous owner put in the bumper anyway.

I will upload my pics soon. Thanks for the good idea.

Thanks for the compliments guys

Yeah upload your pics if any of you decide to make one.

This took about 3.5 hrs total, which includes cutting the front of the bumper to make a bigger opening for the IC (previously it only had a stock-sized opening). Also when im building a custom design, more than half my time is spent simply looking at the piece and visualizing how I'll build what I want. If I totaled up the actual time it took to trim the sheet metal, forming it, and attach it... It was less than 1.5hrs work.

Nice work! Really like the functionality.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back