The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Resolved 1G 6 bolt timing belt tensioner oil leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

all black 4G63

Proven Member
Aug 5, 2019
Chicago, Illinois
Does anyone have a final remedy to address the oil leak from the lower timing belt tensioner bolt on a 6 bolt? (photo attached)

I have read post, but wanted to get a fresh suggestion as most post are from early 2000's

I have used 3 bond on the bolt, but obviously it still leaks.

Also is there any other areas for potential oil leaks behind the timing belt cover that I should be aware of?

Thank you for the support

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Solution
UPDATE!

Well the f***ing leak is gone. I replaced the seal and sprocket and drove the car hard... there's no oil on the belt anymore and the rest of the timing pulleys are dry.
What's funny is my POS Jayracing ALT relocation bracket (Bottom) finally cracked during the drive so I couldn't go too far, but everything looks OK for now...

"We're on Boost" What I think the lip on the replacement pulley is for is for when you slide the pulley on, the lip on the edge allows the seal to be wrapped around the surface without folding possibly>?

Why all of this occurred. Well.....It may be possible that the original front case/oil pump assembly went through a rough beginning....What I mean is that I think I may have over tighten the timing...
I took extra care during the bolt installation and torquing of the front case bolts. the service manual lists the bolt lengths and I measured them all then cleaned them before I torqued them.

I'll check out that thread, thanks

This has me so depressed, This f***ing car wont give me a break.
I am running out of ideas. Is it possible that my torque solution motor mount is causing too much stress on the block flexing it?? or is that sound crazy?

Well I think I found the leak.... looks to be the front cover gasket on the top next to the 14mm bolt.
Anyone have any thoughts to how this could be? The front case is new Mitsu part as well as the gasket. I'm thinking the block is warped?

I wouldn’t think that area would get warped unless it seriously over heated. I’d just grab another gasket and apply copper spray. Clean the surface real good.

You could check both surfaces with a straight edge.

What high side oil pressure do you have? If you haven't checked the oil pressure, I would check oil pressure relief valve. If the oil pressure relief valve plunger is stuck closed, the oil pressure would exceed 100 psi and would start to leak from the front case/OFH gasket.
And also head gasket sealing, especially where the green circle is in the pic below.

Thanks for the info.

I do have a nice AEM oil pressure gauge 0-150 psi It never goes above 90 psi cold engine start for a few seconds.

is it normally suggested to use sealant on the front cover gasket?

update......
the motherf*r still leaks.
I replaced the front cover gasket and applied Mitsu 3 bond on both side of the gasket and the leak is still there.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WHAT AM I MISSING????????????

now that I know where the oil is leaking out from is it possible that I have too high oil pressure?

HOT engine @ 3000 RPM = 76psi
as the RPM is increased the oil pressure raises. At around 4-5000 PRM its as high as 90 psi,, again this is hot engine after driving.

is this the issue?

what the hell????

PLEASE HELP!!

thanks man! I think that is the issue. Because there is no other reason why oil is making its way passed the font cover.

I have read that having the balance shafts removed increases oil pressure. Well mine are deleted.

Are there instructions to porting the oil filter housing somewhere? are there any other options like changing springs?

The OFH is new OEM 6 bolt design with oil cooler.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ALL HELP!!

Hard to say how much to open it up since every built engine is different when it comes to oil clearances. I just went by the pic in jafro’s video. Mine is perfect except for between 2-4k about 15psi higher. You have to keep in mind not to open it up too much, but if you do, you can shim the spring.

Thanks man I didn’t realize this was a thing after removing the balance shafts. I’ve been chasing “what I thought was an oil leak” ghost for a year. What a joke.
I’ll update as usual after I port this thing.

I’m wondering since I spring a leak at the front cover gasket when reaching high oil pressure if I ruined the new gasket already???

I referring to the front cover gasket not the OFH gasket.
the leak occurs at the top of the front cover gasket and seeps out the top. My question is do I need to replace the front cover gasket again?
Thanks

I referring to the front cover gasket not the OFH gasket.
the leak occurs at the top of the front cover gasket and seeps out the top. My question is do I need to replace the front cover gasket again?
Thanks
I know. Oil found its way out so I’d image the gasket is a goner. I’d replace both gaskets.

Are you 100% sure that the leak occurs at that location? Did you confirm that the oil is not coming down from the head gasket? (the oil drain port I mentioned above)
If you are 100% sure, maybe you should check the front case surface condition/flatness, too.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back