The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G 2G 6-Bolt Timing belt tensioner issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GsSkeeT

Proven Member
Dec 1, 2014
Stephens City, Virginia
Hey all, I replaced my timing belt tensioner at the beginning of November. I've put maybe 1200 miles on the car since doing so and the tensioner failed today. The belt didn't jump so the engine is fine. My concern is if there could be something that caused it to fail so soon or should I just leave it that the tensioner was defective. The car is a 98 gst with a 92 6bolt engine. The tensioner I bought was a dayco brand. Any thoughts would be great, thanks. Also the timing belt is a new oem belt.

My only question is where was the protrusion of the tensioner when you finished the job, AFTER you had rotated the engine over a couple times (preferably six to double check marks). Was it within factory tolerance?

My only question is where was the protrusion of the tensioner when you finished the job, AFTER you had rotated the engine over a couple times (preferably six to double check marks). Was it within factory tolerance?

When I bought the car the belt had just been replaced. The tensioner was broken, so I trailered the car home. Bought the new one and installed it, rotated the engine quite a few times to double check the marks. As far as the protrusion of the tensioner, I don't understand what you mean. I ordered an oem replacement tensioner this time and a service manual. Please explain as I thought it was just something I could replace, not realizing what else needed to be checked along with the timing marks as I'm still learning these cars, thanks. Also I don't know if the previous owner changed other timing components as well, should I just go ahead and replace it all?

When I bought the car the belt had just been replaced. The tensioner was broken, so I trailered the car home. Bought the new one and installed it, rotated the engine quite a few times to double check the marks. As far as the protrusion of the tensioner, I don't understand what you mean. I ordered an oem replacement tensioner this time and a service manual. Please explain as I thought it was just something I could replace, not realizing what else needed to be checked along with the timing marks as I'm still learning these cars, thanks. Also I don't know if the previous owner changed other timing components as well, should I just go ahead and replace it all?

The belt is pre-tensioned by the eccentric pully. The hydraulic tensioner's job is to take up the slack as the belt stretches. The pin of the tensioner should only protrude by no more than the value listed in the picture. If after six rotations of the crank the pin is protruding too far, the belt was pre-tensioned too loose with the pulley. If it is too shallow, the belt was pre- tensioned too tight with the pulley.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

YOU MUST KNOW THIS SPECIFICATION FOR THE JOB TO BE DONE CORRECTLY.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/ar...t-you-shouldnt-be-after-you-read-this.450253/

This is a big pet peeve of mine. The timing belt job is very very objective. It is likely the most documented job on a DSM and yet people still get it wrong. I lost count of how many I've done but even the very first one I knew I had done it right. I had a factory manual, adequate tools, time and I followed the guide plain and simple. The vfaqs and videos are even better. There is no reason anybody should be apprehensive or unsure of this job unless they lack the skills in the first place and get lost on what most of us probably assume when wrenching on cars.

YOU MUST KNOW THIS SPECIFICATION FOR THE JOB TO BE DONE CORRECTLY.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/ar...t-you-shouldnt-be-after-you-read-this.450253/

This is a big pet peeve of mine. The timing belt job is very very objective. It is likely the most documented job on a DSM and yet people still get it wrong. I lost count of how many I've done but even the very first one I knew I had done it right. I had a factory manual, adequate tools, time and I followed the guide plain and simple. The vfaqs and videos are even better. There is no reason anybody should be apprehensive or unsure of this job unless they lack the skills in the first place and get lost on what most of us probably assume when wrenching on cars.

As I stated, the timing belt had already been replaced. It's a 98 car with a 92 engine. This is new territory for me as I have to learn what parts I need to get on certain aspects of the engine. I joined this site to get as much help as I can since it was recommended by a friend of mine. I'm not even sure which shop manual to buy for the car, I'd imagine I'd need both. I typed in " timing belt tensioner" in the search on this site and it came up with parts for sale. That's why I posted this thread. I've owned 1g cars, though it's been more than ten years ago, and have done the work to them myself with no issues. Rebuilt engines, completely torn down the cars,body work, all with the help of the shop manuals and other dsm enthusiasts help. Now I'm trying to get back into it again, needed the car on the road and didn't have a chance to get the shop manual yet. I was only looking for help, not to be insulted. I've corrected many issues on the car from the previous owner not knowing the proper blend of the 1g in a 2g conversion. Just trying to get educated on it myself. Thanks

The belt is pre-tensioned by the eccentric pully. The hydraulic tensioner's job is to take up the slack as the belt stretches. The pin of the tensioner should only protrude by no more than the value listed in the picture. If after six rotations of the crank the pin is protruding too far, the belt was pre-tensioned too loose with the pulley. If it is too shallow, the belt was pre- tensioned too tight with the pulley.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This was all fine, I re-installed the belt according to how it's supposed to be on a 6-bolt engine. I have owned 1g cars and have done several timing belt changes, replacing all of the components at the same time. I don't have the shop manual for the car yet but I did measure the gap which was 4mm. I thought I remembered from doing this a long time ago( more than ten years) that it was within spec. I just wasn't sure if maybe something else could've caused it to fail early being that it's a converted car as I haven't had a chance to read up on everything to do with the swap. Or that it's just the fact that I used a dayco tensioner from advance auto instead of an oem tensioner. Thanks for your help

dayco tensioner nstead of an oem tensioner

Well there's your first issue. While aftermarket pulleys (NSK, SKF, Timken, Gates, etc.) are all fine and dandy, the tensioner is NOT something you should consider purchasing outside of OEM for these engines. While a few may have had luck, the vast majority haven't. These hydraulic tensioners are very finicky, and for the most part Mitsubishi got them right. Most aftermarket vendors haven't. Best of luck!

Well there's your first issue. While aftermarket pulleys (NSK, SKF, Timken, Gates, etc.) are all fine and dandy, the tensioner is NOT something you should consider purchasing outside of OEM for these engines. While a few may have had luck, the vast majority haven't. These hydraulic tensioners are very finicky, and for the most part Mitsubishi got them right. Most aftermarket vendors haven't. Best of luck!

Ok, thanks for the help. I've ordered one from mitsubishi as well as the pulleys.

Above poster was right. Only oem tensioners are good to use. Did a t belt and component kit on a Ford focus few weeks back at the shop. Dayco brand. Job went well. 3 weeks later car came back with noise from the timing cover. Tore the engine back down found the idler pull for the tbelt failed. Luckily the idler was hung between the mount surface and timing cover. Belt stayed on an in time will never again use Dayco parts

Above poster was right. Only oem tensioners are good to use. Did a t belt and component kit on a Ford focus few weeks back at the shop. Dayco brand. Job went well. 3 weeks later car came back with noise from the timing cover. Tore the engine back down found the idler pull for the tbelt failed. Luckily the idler was hung between the mount surface and timing cover. Belt stayed on an in time will never again use Dayco parts

I have used them before on other vehicles with no problems. I know now on these cars specific things should be oem. Lesson learned, at least it didn't cost me an engine, just more labor.

Hey all, I replaced my timing belt tensioner at the beginning of November. I've put maybe 1200 miles on the car since doing so and the tensioner failed today. The belt didn't jump so the engine is fine. My concern is if there could be something that caused it to fail so soon or should I just leave it that the tensioner was defective. The car is a 98 gst with a 92 6bolt engine. The tensioner I bought was a dayco brand. Any thoughts would be great, thanks. Also the timing belt is a new oem belt.

I have used them before on other vehicles with no problems. I know now on these cars specific things should be oem. Lesson learned, at least it didn't cost me an engine, just more labor.

Hey guys! Brian from Dayco here. As you may know, Dayco, and other Aftermarket vendors, do manufacture OE products for the vehicle manufacturers. Dayco is actually one of the largest suppliers of timing belts and timing belt components for OEMs in the world and we use that same R&D and technology for Aftermarket products.

If you'd like to discuss the issue you're having with the Dayco tensioner, I'd be more than happy to speak with you so we can correct this issue. Feel free to contact me here or via email at [email protected]

Happy Holidays, everyone.

Hey guys! Brian from Dayco here. As you may know, Dayco, and other Aftermarket vendors, do manufacture OE products for the vehicle manufacturers. Dayco is actually one of the largest suppliers of timing belts and timing belt components for OEMs in the world and we use that same R&D and technology for Aftermarket products.

If you'd like to discuss the issue you're having with the Dayco tensioner, I'd be more than happy to speak with you so we can correct this issue. Feel free to contact me here or via email at [email protected]

Happy Holidays, everyone.

Thanks Brian, I'll be in touch soon.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back